Contest: VOTE June Art Contest - Final Poll

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Soran77, Jul 1, 2017.

?

June Art Contest - Final Poll

Poll closed Jul 8, 2017.
  1. Soran77

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Cyfa

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. B.j.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. gazomg

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. M

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  6. Finn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Scribble

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Klaus

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. BorgMan

BorgMan Captain Captain

I can see that yes, but I don't really see the point in keeping the poll open any longer right?

It is entirely possible that I'm jumping to conclusions though.

2. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

I know I whined earlier that I wish I had two votes, but really, I agree with The Lensman here:
    - Exactly!

- Hey Soran77, don't worry, I don't think anyone is disgusted with your choice - at least, no one has explicitly said as much, and most were pretty lassez faire about it (and I liked M's politician example).
    Unless everyone here is a professional art critic (I don't imagine they are otherwise my stuff would get torn to shreds :lol:), I think subject matter and medium play a big part in why people vote the way they do. Take our two entries, for example. You've made a (to my eyes) highly technical, sophisticated, computer model that, quite frankly, is pretty amazing and way beyond my paltry know-how, whereas I've just buggered about with coloured cardboard and shiny stuff on the beach! :D I wouldn't blame you if you voted for your own work if you're proud of it and just not a fan of my low-fi submission.
    I hope this makes sense and doesn't come across as patronising or annoying or something - that's the last thing I want (so I'm going to shut up now ;))

EDIT 22:23 GMT (OK, so I didn't shut up) - I keep thinking about what I've written up there and I think there's loads of stuff I've missed/glossed-over/haven't understood, but I don't know how to make it right (other than deleting it). There's a reason why I don't normally write this much. Just know, I have good intentions - yeah, yeah, "the road to Hell..." etc etc :D. (Now I'm going to shut up)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    The Lensman and Michael like this.
  3. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

When is it over?..

4. Scribble

Scribble Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[joking]
    I know at least three people that didn't vote for themselves.
    [/joking]

Klaus likes this.
  5. gazomg

gazomg Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4 actually,
    I did not vote for mine.....not sure who did or if there is a way to see who did.
    I know on some forums there is an option that lets you see

6. The Lensman

The Lensman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's an option to make the poll public, but I'm against it. I don't really care how people vote unless they choose to share it. I do like reading why people voted a certain way, or reading their thoughts on a given piece, but that's their choice to share or not. Let's not start taking this contest too seriously. ;)

7. Scribble

Scribble Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hence the [joking] tags. :)

I'm a firm believer in the privacy of any electoral process (politics or contests). I will say that I have a personal moral objection to voting for my own creative piece, but that's me and it's my issue. I WILL have thoughts about people that do in contests but I honestly don't care about a light-hearted contest like this where there is no real prize.

I fully expect, if able, that a politician will vote for themselves because governing is not a sport. There are real consequences, and they should fully believe in what they taut enough to support themselves.

Back to our regularly scheduled poll thread... (borrowed from another thread that went off-topic recently).

The Lensman likes this.
  8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When does voting close? My phone isn't showing the pictures...and even if my vote goes to a "loser", I still want to show support to an entrant. (I have always hated the disenfranchising of voters because the winner seems "obvious"...that why the US has the current president)

9. gazomg

I dont take it seriously it might be an art contest but this is also a discussion forum is it not ? ;)

10. Michael

Michael In alignment with canon Moderator

The poll is set to run for seven days and will close on Saturday. So, still plenty of time for people to vote. :)

11. BorgMan

BorgMan Captain Captain

In all honesty... Why so long? Isn't three to four days enough? It's just that I've developed a slight distaste for competitions that last shorter than they could have :-/

The Lensman likes this.
  12. gazomg

Guess it gives time to people who might only be around at weekends

13. Michael

Well, you'd have to ask @Soran77, who created the poll. ;)

Looking back at some of the past voting threads, most of them ran for two to four days. Personally, I would be okay with giving this another day or two and ending it then. Not because I'm in the lead at the moment (:shifty:), but because it would be cool to get the ball rolling on the new contest. @Soran77, what do you think? Would four days be okay for you? :)

14. Michael

The Lensman likes this.
  15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

In the past, we've done multiple votes, but not too often. It's been one of the things in the discretion of the winner and contest originator from month to month. Same for multiple entries.

16. Soran77

Soran77 Commander Red Shirt

The poll was set to 7 days as default, so I assumed that's how long the voting was before because I usually didn't pay attention to how long the polls were open before, that being said, the new contest could do a two month run, that's been done intentionally before, especially during times people would normally be outside a lot more, or the holidays, but you are welcome to close the poll M. I think the poll length should be at the winners discretion but only up to a maximum of 7 days to give time for the new contest to get rolling

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say leave it open for a little bit longer... In recent past, we haven't had a poll up for several days, so it took me a while to know the poll was running. And it gives people travelling/offline for the holidays a chance to see it.

Lots of good entries, and a tight race, so I think it'd be good for democracy ;)

18. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most of the past voting took ~3 days, so that we could get going on the next month's challenge without much time lost. But this one was over a holiday, so a bit longer would be understandable.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*Ack!* Just realized what you did, M! :lol: If for some reason the influx of Misc people puts me over the top, M, you have my permission to assign the next month's challenge to someone else (or take it yourself if you're second). Not that I wouldn't mind winning, but I'll be completely out of contact for two weeks starting tomorrow. My son and I are going to the Boy Scouts' Northern Tier high adventure base, and we'll be canoeing in the lakes of Minnesota, far away from any civilization for that entire time.

20. Michael

Well, right now it almost looks like this might just happen. :lol: It's pretty close at the moment. I say we let the poll open for another day, maybe until Friday morning, and see about the new contest then. :)

That sounds really awesome! I hope you guys have fun and come back safe.