FINAL POLL - January Challenge: Upgrades

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Feb 2, 2009.

?

Which upgrade most strikes your fancy?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2009.
  1. B.J.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Klaus

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Ptrope

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. Starscape

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

"We can make him better than he was - better, stronger, faster!"

No matter how good something is, we can always imagine it being just a little bit better - now, our society calls that an "upgrade," and that imagination is what B.J. hoped to stir with his challenge for January: Upgrades. They could've been ships, technology, even people, and it looks like we've got all those bases covered with this month's entries.

"We have the money - we have the technology" - now all we need is your vote! Help someone upgrade from contestant to challenger!

[​IMG]
    B.J.

[​IMG]
    Klaus

[​IMG]
    Ptrope

[​IMG]
    Starscape

One vote per member; voting closes at 9:00 P.M. EST, Feb. 3, with the winner earning the honor of setting the February challenge. Gallery of entries

Good luck, all!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Orne

Orne Lieutenant Red Shirt

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^you needed to send him your final entry via email, sorry if we didn't make that clear this month... :(
    [​IMG]

5. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Sorry for missing your entry, Orne - we've pretty well established over the past few years that entries need to be e-mailed to me by midnight on the last day of the month, rather than relying solely upon the various threads, but that wasn't made clear this time. I thought I had all the entries when I made the poll.

At any rate, I would've had a couple problems adding your entry from your thread, in that we request that all entries be composed for and at the time of the challenge, rather than being concepts or constructions that we already have that 'fit' the challenge, and the main reason we implemented the "mail-in" was to make sure that the single final image is the one the entrant intends to use - with threads that contain multiple images, it's not always obvious which image the poster would prefer to use as his or her final effort.

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I voted for B.J. - the shuttle spruces up nicely, and I like the updated graphics, as well.

I also got a kick out of "Scotty 2.0," especially the "It's.Green" comment. And with those 4 arms, he should make a heck of a bartender!

Klaus, once again, a great scene. One question, though - wouldn't the nacelle just say, "NCC-1701?" I was under the impression the "-A" was another already-refit ship that was re-designated Enterprise. Cool pic, regardless :bolian:

7. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

Hard choices again. I go with Klause just 'cause I am a sucker for the E refit.

8. Klaus

ty, and you're right of course... it came with that on the model and I didn't think it through, obviously lol... Hard to get good help! :lol:

ty for the votes all!
    [​IMG]

9. Orne

Ptrope, link to the original notice about the challenge:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78730

No mention that it must be a completely new (done-in-a-month) design; had this been stated, I would have completed the artwork anyway as a non-challenge thread and just posted it along with the photos. Had a nice response to the design, challenge or not, so I'm good.

Also, in the original thread, I was instructed to start a new thread and post, which I did; there was no mention that the artwork should be e-mailed to you in person - I entered one of the challenges awhile back, but this time (January) your name wasn't listed, so assumed things had changed since then. BTW, I was just on your website, but could not find a listed e-mail address.

I wasn't posting multiple entries. Because I could not post the pictures in the thread, I put up several links, one to my website with the note to look in a specific folder in the event the first link to the actual artwork wasn't working for some people (it happens). The artwork had the model photos included to show the design origins; it wasn't two separate entries, and I would have deleted the model photos from the artwork for a single entry, or pointed out to you which one I wanted to enter, if asked.

I'm just stating these points because if the challenge requirements had been fully fleshed out, all the confusion could have been avoided.

Orne

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

As I said, we were less explicit than usual with this month's challenge; after so many years of doing it, many of us tend to take knowledge of the rules for granted, and I sincerely apologize for the lack of information.

I have updated the TrekArt FAQ with info on the monthly challenges; I'll also work to make sure that each month, this information is passed on in the main challenge thread:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  11. ShamelessMcBundy

Gee, the mod won this one. I call foul. :p

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Well, there's still 6 hours to vote. If I win and it's an issue, I'll pull my entry.

13. Klaus

not like you've never won before lol... :D
    [​IMG]

14. ShamelessMcBundy

Oh i'm just kidding.

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Might be a good idea; I've been responsible for some pretty controversial challenges back in the day - you never know what might happen ... ;)

16. ShamelessMcBundy

I don't think you've ever warned me. One of the few mods that hasn't, so i like you. :p

17. Klaus

^^he's only warned me once, but I deserved it... :lol:
    [​IMG]

18. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I deserved my warning, too ... :)

But I didn't deserve this! I'm sure you guys worked long and hard on your entries, and I sat down at the computer on the last day of the month to create probably the fastest model I've ever built. Not to say I wasn't sincere - I planned from the very beginning to enter this month, but I decided at the last that a sexier and somewhat naughtier Uhura was probably going a bit too far. So I created the S650, and it was only once I had it posted and started getting votes that I realized that my first win was with ... a shuttle. The Dart was ... a shuttle (of sorts), and here I am again, with ... a shuttle. Nothing like a one-trick pony, huh?

Thanks for the votes, folks, and even if I say I may not deserve to win, I'm certainly not going to pass up the opportunity to throw out the box and ask you all to do something unusual. I'll be posting the new challenge thread shortly - I hope you all find inspiration in it. That's the best reason to do these things. :bolian:

19. Orne

Well, here's a vote for a naughty Uhura.....:devil:

"Fair Maiden!"

"Neither!"