November Art Challenge – the Captain's new duds

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by neoworx, Nov 10, 2010.

1. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have the happy honor of coughing up this month's challenge, so here goes.

Over the years there have been tons of Starfleet uniforms, some more successful than others. Personally, I've never been a fan of the TMP pajamas, but I've loved the WOK maroons. Bottom line is that everyone has their own favorites.

So pick your favorite Trek – or make one up – and show us how the uniforms would look if you were in charge at Starfleet Design. Duty, combat, dress unis – whatever catches your imagination. And while utility matters, as with most things Trek, COOL matters most! Let's have some fun.

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...interesting idea. Waaaay outside my usual stomping grounds, but then one of the things I love about these contests is when they make me try things I've never done before.

...now about a séance to contact Bill Theiss. :D

3. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my xD Fashion isn't my forte :P

4. neoworx

To help the design process, here's a blank slate to use to work your magic. Feel free to use it or do your own thing.

[​IMG]

5. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

Thanks for the template I'm working on a Post-Enterprise Uniform I'll post it when finished OK.

Signed
    Buck Rogers

6. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

OK Here it goes,[​IMG][/IMG]
    This the link to my design be kind its rare for me to use someone's outline.
    I tried my best to create a uniform that everyone will like.

Signed
    Buck Rogers

7. brandomack

brandomack Lieutenant Red Shirt

8. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

It's good to see we're getting some new faces entering the challenge this month. :)

Just a remindered for the unintiated: Send your entries to "Ptrope at gmail dot com" by the end of the month to ensure you're included in the final poll.

9. brandomack

brandomack Lieutenant Red Shirt

Done, thank you for the heads up.:)

10. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Are multiple entries permitted?

11. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

^^ No, just the one entry allowed per person. :)

The rules are posted in the Art Forum's FAQ thread, but I'll repost them here:

Q: How do I enter the monthly art challenge, and what are its requirements?
    A: The monthly TrekArt challenge is not an 'official' function of the forum, but is informally agreed upon and continued by the members. In general, the requirements of the monthly challenge are determined by the winner of the previous month's challenge, but the common expectations are that a) the artwork you submit is created during the month of the challenge, rather than using artwork or compositions that already exist and happen to fit the theme and rules of the challenge, and b) you are allowed only one final image to submit, although it may contain multiple views. To streamline the process and cut down on confusion and logistical problems, the moderator will post the final poll, and the entrants need to e-mail their final entries to the moderator (currently Ptrope; email: ptrope at gmail dot com) by midnight, GMT, on the last day of the month; the poll will then be posted in a timely fashion, usually on the first day of the month.

12. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Thankyew!

13. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm more looking forward to next month. The whole thing about the myriad of fan-designed uniforms for every basement RPG just never appealed to me.

14. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I'm debating... When I saw this last night I thought "Oh cool, I might try one" But then... I pretty much had my perfect uniform when they rolled out the FC/DS9 uniform... So what I ended up with was pretty much a set of regular FC/DS9 uniforms with a new commbadge and several "unseen" versions that still just fit right in with the FC/DS9 existing set, and I don't know if I should bother entering them or not since they're not much different...

15. neoworx

Not sure where this is coming from. Any challenge entries in this forum are, by definition, "fan designed", be they uniforms or books or posters, or whatever. And RPGs certainly weren't mentioned in my directions.

My congratulations to the entrants so far. Some really cool stuff is showing up. I can't wait to see what else you guys come up with.

16. neoworx

My I make a suggestion, Tom? Playing it safe won't win – just look at some of the entries so far. Plus it's just not terribly interesting. So my suggestion would be to have some fun and push yourself past your comfort level. You never know what you mind end up with. Give it a shot!

D

17. Tom Riley

^ May I ask... Do you mean playing it safe won't win as in "not entering guarantees I won't win" or "If they're not different they won't win, make something else that is different and new"?

Because it's not that I'm not *comfortable* pushing it and making something different, it's just that what they made for FC is, IMO, pretty much perfect for my tastes... If I made one the way I wanted, it would be pretty much the same... lol...

18. neoworx

I meant the second thing, but the first is also true, of course.

19. Tom Riley

Well... If the idea is to design a set of uniforms that I would have wanted if I was in charge of it... then why make a whole set of uniforms that aren't what I'd want just so I can have something totally different and not just slightly different? :shrug:

I probably won't enter, but I guess I'll post them in another thread when I'm done, cause it's still decent work I think...

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral