Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x06 - "Stormy Weather"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 22, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

23.2%
  2. 9

23.2%
  3. 8

23.2%
  4. 7

7.2%
  5. 6

7.2%
  6. 5

6.4%
  7. 4

2.4%
  8. 3

3.2%
  9. 2

2.4%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

1.6%
  1. Bay17

Bay17 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree with most of this. In particular, they bring in Book to be the quirky extra character (as well as a love interest) but they haven’t even fleshed out the bridge crew yet. Do that first and you don’t need quirky extra characters.

DarKush likes this.
  2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah! Why didn't I think of that? It would've made more sense and also built on the relationship the episode had just established between Gray and Zora. Gray could then perhaps become the Zora 'whisperer', something to do on the vessel.

Bay17,

Only thing I disagree with you on is not needing characters like Book. He's one of my favorite characters on DISCO and one of the better ones in new Trek. I like what he brings to the series-particularly last season-and also how we see a different side of Burnham when she's with him (for both seasons). But yes, I do think the bridge crew needs to be fleshed out more (as well as Dr. Pollard), so much so now that episodes should be focused on them individually. I was thinking of a "Galileo Seven" kind of episode before Tilly and the cadets, that could've gave all of them something to chew on all at one time.

I think about ENT now and how underutilized Mayweather was, but in comparison to some of the DISCO ensemble, he would be the lead character. And I could say the same for Hoshi and perhaps even for Reed. If I really thought about it, I might be able to make the case for Porthos too.

I don't want it misconstrued that I think less attention be placed on Burnham. I think the writers have done their jobs well on developing her, but more so like how the Berman era did it where in many ways the captain was the anchor but various episodes were used to also develop the rest of the ensemble (with unfortunately uneven results, so this isn't just a DISCO problem when it comes to Trek, but it does feel more acute to me compared to the Berman era).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Andyliini

Andyliini Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, what an episode. It was a classic "ship is slowly getting destroyed, and we must escape", but with a modern twist. The visuals were great to watch one again, especially considering it was mostly just pitch black emptiness outside of the ship. Many characters were used equally, and Frakes' direction really brought out the best in them. I should know by now that when Frakes directs, it's usually a great one.

Ok, perhaps the rhythm got a bit slow towards the end, but all the way until they escaped the anomaly, I was hooked. The mystery of the anomaly draws ever closer, and if this upcoming mid-season brake was planned beforehand, it will be left at a paralyzing cliffhanger. And I can't wait to see it.

10/10

4. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't really like this episode at all. I gave it a 6, but it's more like a 5 for me.

Discovery is way over the top with emotions. Starfleet is a MILITARY organisation, but the crew behaves like they're constantly at a shrink or something. It's so unprofessional. It's all so touchy, feely... and it's starting to annoy me.

I miss Tilly though. She was unprofessional, but fun.

I don't care about characters like Book, Adira or Grey... And this episode, nothing really happened storywise.

I love slow episodes like Duet, The Visitor, The Measure Of A Man, The Offspring, Someone To Watch Over Me, Barge of the Dead, The Forgotten or Cogenitor, but this one didn't gave us anything...

burningoil, StarMan and eschaton like this.
  5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

As mentioned, we’re not. At least not by anything “hot”.
    Temperature in physics describes particle velocities. That only becomes a problem with very high particle density, like in an atmosphere.
    The heliopause is still space with very low density.
    I mean, right now, we have a probe diving into the sun’s corona despite temperatures going I to the millions of Celsius. A feat Star Trek writers only thought possible in the 24th century with magical shielding.

correction: not sucked… blown.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My only real issue with Discovery's emotional tone is it's shockingly one note. Every character is emotional, demonstrative, somber, damaged, and a good listener when there is a friend in need.

This is...boring. Where are the reserved repressed messes? Where are the happy-go-lucky quipsters? Where are the self absorbed who keep dragging the conversation back to themselves every time someone asks for help?

The lack of a dynamic character range means every interaction between two characters reads the same - character A shows vulnerability, and character B is a good ally. It honestly comes across as if everyone is a bunch of author avatars at times.

7. Jaster

Jaster Captain Captain

Loved this. Good pacing and I like Frakes’ direction style.

The sonar reference made me think of the whale probe from The Voyage Home. That was a probe and nearly destroyed a planet. Imagine if it’s creators had reason to travel and we’re unwittingly causing catastrophic damage along the way.

Commander Troi and Search4 like this.
  8. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I watch this show for the characters and their development and the stories. I don’t give a rip about the minutia of the ship or military hierarchy or lack thereof or epic dramatic action at the expense of said characters. I thought this was easily one of the best episodes of the series because of those character moments. I want more of them. I don’t particularly like Gray and Adira as characters but at least Gray was put to good use in the conversation with Zora. I do like Book and the cat and Book’s conversation with his dad. I also like the family trees and Zora’s rendition of Stormy Weather.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Drama (and fiction generally) is about the exception, not the norm.

Well, this is certainly the one thing every fan of Trek considers indisputable. Oh, wait…

10. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

no I don’t, I thought the previous two episodes were good. Just because I don’t mash the 9 or 10 in the poll for every episode doesn’t mean I think everything is a meh.

11. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    I was expecting that to happen. Not sure why they didn't. Too lazy/busy to do the SFX instead of just fading to black?

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I didn't like this one that much.

The being trapped part was good, and the initial stuff with the computer was interesting, but once we got into therapy mode, I just kind of rolled my eyes. Having the computer/sphere data/whatever as another character is fine, but geez...

burningoil likes this.
  13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I might have confused you with someone else, sorry

Paul755 likes this.
  14. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

no worries. It happens. To be fair I wasn’t a huge fan of the season premiere so there is that.

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right because nobody performs things like Shakespeare plays anymore... Oh wait...

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

But it’s fiction. You get more dramatic mileage out of a warp core breach, a power outage in the middle of surgery or a stuck elevator.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And as I pointed out more than once before the shields in "Relics(TNG)" worked as planned but the writers still found a way to break the physics of the 24th century Trek universe by beaming through them. So even when Trek technology works as intended the creators usually find a way to bend the rules so that cool and fun things still happen.

18. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

#BanRelics
    #TNGMoreLikeTNGeeWhiz
    #NoCenturyForOldMontgomery

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Beaming through raised Federation shields? That's it. I'm out of the franchise. #ThisFarNoFarther #TheLineMustBeDrawnHere

20. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I do all my drinking at cooleddie's bar. That place is the last bastion of civil decency in this sad quadrant.

Commander Troi and cooleddie74 like this.