Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x06 - "Stormy Weather"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
Naguilum???? :shrug:
Making Tech fail just for drama's sake is weak writing.

It's the same as killing off a Red Shirt Trope for cheap Drama Points.

We should be moving past using old tropes like killing off Red Shirts.

As a creative society, all those old tropes should be defeated, thrown out, and logic should be used.

If you want to kill a character, it needs to be earned.

I would like to see a show portraying competent people dealing with problems with intelligence and facing a competent adversary that uses intelligent ways of doing whatever evil deeds they plan on doing.

So far, the DMA is a great "Weapon", if the DMA is a "Weapon".

But we need to see more competence from the main cast.

would like to see a show portraying competent people dealing with problems with intelligence and facing a competent adversary that uses intelligent ways of doing whatever evil deeds they plan on doing.
That show would be great.

Also, would not be real Star Trek (trademark pending).

I don't disagree about expectations in writing but this is not the franchise for it. This is a franchise based out of 60s era action/adventure tropes. It dare not stay out of line.

Making Tech fail just for drama's sake is weak writing.
Nah. Tech fails because in real life tech fails. Technology isn't the end all be all of society. Shit happens Tires blow out. Guns jam. The power grid goes down. Airplanes crash. Being IN THE FUTURE!!!!!! isn't going to change that. This perfect tech driven world that you dream of will never exist. Humans relate better to things going wrong than some sterile society with perfect machines. I'd say SF has gotten a lot of milage of humans rebelling against "perfection'.

Nah. Tech fails because in real life tech fails. Technology isn't the end all be all of society. Shit happens Tires blow out. Guns jam. The power grid goes down. Airplanes crash. Being IN THE FUTURE!!!!!! isn't going to change that. This perfect tech driven world that you dream of will never exist. Humans relate better to things going wrong than some sterile society with perfect machines. I'd say SF has gotten a lot of milage of humans rebelling against "perfection'.
Even if that perfect world some day does exist it would not make for drama for 21st century peeps.

Even if that perfect world some day does exist it would not make for drama for 21st century peeps.
Stories tend to be driven by conflict, loss, love and things people have found relatable since we began telling stories. That will never change.

Good stories are never about perfect 100% "competent" people with unfailing tech that always gets them out of any situation .

Stories tend to be driven by conflict, loss, love and things people have found relatable since we began telling stories. That will never change.

Good stories are never about perfect 100% "competent" people with unfailing tech that always gets them out of any situation .
This is why Superman works alone.

Here's a fun new Trek connection. The star (and singer of the title song) of the film 'Stormy Weather' was Lena Horne, who is the grandmother of Jenny Lumet, a co-creator, executive producer and writer on 'Strange New Worlds'.

Edit:

Ah, she was also an EP on DSC Season 3 and wrote some Discovery and Short Treks
She was the one who named Grudge

Here's a fun new Trek connection. The star (and singer of the title song) of the film 'Stormy Weather' was Lena Horne, who is the grandmother of Jenny Lumet, a co-creator, executive producer and writer on 'Strange New Worlds'.

Edit:

Ah, she was also an EP on DSC Season 3 and wrote some Discovery and Short Treks
She was the one who named Grudge

That’s a very cool connection!

This was a terrible episode.
I give it 2 Andys#STTNC.
I blame the writing 100%.
First the good:
They did a good one off classic Trek trope with entering a void.
Liked the dot as a probe and cool to see it disolve.

Dislike:
Every other part of the episode.
disliked the song by Zora moment. Over the top.
Disliked the quick conversation before beaming between Saru & the Nav officer. It felt forced and so out of place. Unnecessary.

The episode was a swing and a miss.
Wife rated it a 0.5 Andys#STTNC. She really disliked it all.

I've been doing some thinking about it, and I think "Stormy Weather" is the best episode of Star Trek: Discovery to date. It took what I think of as Star Trek in its purest, most basic form (boldly venturing into the unknown); and did it on DSC terms. That makes it equal parts Star Trek and equal parts Discovery.

I thought this was a really good episode, probably the best of the season, and easily the best since the silly but massively entertaining Terra Firma 2-parter last season. It fired on all cylinders you want Trek to hit on (character, theme, visual appeal, creepy sci-fi predicament, etc).

Pros:
1. This is the first episode I’ve cared about anything Gray is doing all season. I liked the interaction with Zora.
2. Space anomaly episodes are hit-or-miss for me. This one was a hit. It felt desperate and creepy and I dig that.
3. I liked the ensemble feel in this one. It was organic and I really felt as though the whole crew was trying to work together to find answers.
4. First canon mention of the Galactic Barrier since the late 1960’s.
5. Genuine stress during the Burnham and Zora scene at the end. Frakes did a great job building tension into the scene and making you feel the fear and discomfort.
6. They blew Cortez out. Fantastic.
7. Saru being a leader and putting a little smack-down in effect
8. The Book scenes were all pretty good. I liked the “hallucinations” regarding his father.
9. Love the theme of overcoming fear and the unknown. The void was literally the embodiment of how crippling and blinding fear can be, if not controlled and overcome. Great old-school Trek allegory.

Cons:
1. Adira is not Tilley, but their personalities are virtually indistinguishable at times.
2. Not enough Culber, no Vance.

9/10. Massively enjoyable on every level.

Last edited:
Nobody says being "Competent" means being 100% infallible.

Tech generally works more often than not if designed well & tested to meet the requirements.

That's why the military has stringent requirements before they acquire a piece of tech and validate it against a giant set of criteria.

I'm sure StarFleet is similar in that it designs their tech to be reliable, and work in most of the listed criteria it's expected to encounter.

I have stuff that doesn't work at work all the time. Okay, not all the time, but it happens. And it's 2021. A year that we used to think of as a Future Sci-Fi Year. But now here we are. I think we'll always have tech that fails on occasion, just like we'll have people who get sick on occasion.

I have stuff that doesn't work at work all the time. Okay, not all the time, but it happens. And it's 2021. A year that we used to think of as a Future Sci-Fi Year. But now here we are. I think we'll always have tech that fails on occasion, just like we'll have people who get sick on occasion.

No wai.

In Star Trek, the characters, ship designs, tech, and adherence to the prime directive are ALL PERFECT.

Everything is so over dramatic. Takes me out of it.
Also the ending needed to be explained better. It’s very confusing what was going on.

It's about making sure your tech is reliable, and that it's available most of the time.

When you want your computer or service to work most of the time, there is an expectation of High availability.

The ships computer not being available to do it's job is a serious technical flaw.

Back