Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x06 - "Stormy Weather"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
It's about making sure your tech is reliable, and that it's available most of the time.

When you want your computer or service to work most of the time, there is an expectation of High availability.

The ships computer not being available to do it's job is a serious technical flaw.
This isn't a documentary. Star Trek is never going to be "just the facts ma'am" Dragnet.

The best I can figure, we see the crew of a Star Trek series -- any Star Trek series -- one hour per week. 13 or 26 hours per year, out of how many hours are there in a year? There are long stretches of everything being normal, ordinary, boring, and routine. We only see the stuff that stands out.

Someone once asked Raymond Burr, "Why does Perry Mason win every case?" To which he said, "You only see my cases on Tuesday!" Referring to the fact that Perry Mason aired on Tuesdays. (link)

What happened during the five months between DSC Seasons 3 and 4? No idea. The novels will probably cover it at some point. But if it was worth seeing on screen, they would've chosen to tell that story, not the one we're seeing now.

Big ol meh from me.

I busted out laughing when Burnham had her big “hero hallway walk” when she was headed to the bridge at the end. It felt so over the top.

Book’s stuff with his dad just didn’t land.

and the Zora stuff…woof. At least the actress has a pretty singing voice.

6/10 for me.

I kind of liked Zora singing "Stormy Weather." Yeah, it's contemporary music from the 20th century but at least it's not Talarian metal or rock.
Zora's more into the first half of the 20th Century. We've seen this throughout.

I've rarely mentioned it here, because there aren't too many openings for it on TrekBBS, but I also have an appreciation for the 1920s-1940s. But it's been something I've only really developed an appreciation for as an adult.

The stuff that other posters here are talking about "Young people love stuff from the '70s, '80s, and '90s!" is different, I think. There's a real pop-cultural dividing line today, and I think it begins with counter-culture. I think it's great that teenagers like stuff from 30 years ago. But how about stuff from 80 years ago? Maybe you'll get a few, but not most of them. You have to have a specific interest in it as a historical period. Which is very different from having an interest in it as pop culture.

Last edited:
the idea of people in the future being so obsessed with the equivalent of Homer seems rather silly to me.
This particular instance doesn't bug me, but man did this sort of thing drive me nuts when watching The Orville. (At least season one; haven't seen much of season two.) It seemed like every five minutes they were watching Seinfeld or quoting rental car slogans that I'd be hard-pressed to remember now.

At least for the Zora 20th-century references (and most other Trek references to the past century) they're largely pop culture artifcats from the early 20th century that have already stood the test of time. Most of the references that were driving me nuts on The Orville are from the last 30 years.

(I'll give Daffy Duck on Babylon 5 a pass because they didn't pull that sort of thing very often, and it was one guy's quirky obsession.)

No Sybok on Michael's holographic family tree?

Sybok-Meme.jpg

Yeah, Sybok has the feel of a rebellious student who abandoned his logical upbringing and was banished by Vulcan elders and those in authority when Michael was still relatively new to the family. Thus she didn't really know him and grew up regarding him the black sheep of Sarek's family.

Not a bad episode, tackling a more traditonal Trek anomoly. As with the cadet episode, decently done but maybe a bit overly familiar after so many decades of Trek. I have to confess that I actually prefer the more "out there" episodes of Discovery even if they haven't had as many aggravating stupid moments this season.

They need to get a job for Gray. I can totally envision him as one of those recreational activity coordinators or whatever. The ones you get the company email from about having Hawaiian Shirt Mondays or Softball Teams or Group BBQ at the park and so on. "It will be so fun guys." Too bad Discovery doesn't still do the party mixers like they used to.

Oko got more backstory in an emergency (again). It was about - I can't remember, but it had to do with how something in her past related to the present.
Sounds like every bridge crew character moment in DSC.

That ensign shouldn't have died. He should have been transported away the second there was the breach. Hell even a few seconds latter would work to. Space is Not an instant death.

Am I the only one who oddly was more moved for the DOT than that ensign?

The instant transporters are like the transporter buffer in that it's tech once introduced becomes a problem for a lot of dramatic moments if they remembered and applied it to every situation where it would make sense.

For example, it would make a lot of sense to have a monitor alert when a crew member vanishes. Or to detect and instantly transport intruders to the brig and so on but it would be harder to set up stories.

That said, they've incorporated the instant transporters and programmable matter and such much more than I would have expected.

She was the one who named Grudge
Well, I won't hold that against her.
No wai.

In Star Trek, the characters, ship designs, tech, and adherence to the prime directive are ALL PERFECT.
Indeed. Star Trek is about perfect people behaving perfectly all the time.
The ships computer not being available to do it's job is a serious technical flaw.
Here's the thing about Star Trek-we are not seeing the day to day routine, the report filing, training and maintenance that would be expected to happen between missions. We see the unusual stuff, the stuff that makes for an interesting and entertaining episode. Zora is a completely unknown factor and so we get drama. Yes, it is a technical flaw, one that the crew could not predict until the moment occurred. That's the narrative and the drama.
This isn't a documentary. Star Trek is never going to be "just the facts ma'am" Dragnet.
Exactly so. And it isn't made to fit in to all the technical specifications that have been imagined outside the shows over the years. As much detail and efforts as fans pour in to these little details of the show they are simply not available in the same amount of time and devotion to the writers The facts shape a bit within the context of the story. It isn't a documentary, largely because it is often retooled to suit the story being told, from the transporter not working, to technobabble solutions forgotten. What happens is meant to serve the characters, rather than a technical documentary. Dragnet benefited from having actual police files to draw from. There are no Starfleet files to draw from.

Yeah, Sybok has the feel of a rebellious student who abandoned his logical upbringing and was banished by Vulcan elders and those in authority when Michael was still relatively new to the family. Thus she didn't really know him and grew up regarding him the black sheep of Sarek's family.
If Sarek quit talking to Spock over attending a different school, Sybok is definitely getting a way worse treatment. It's only logical.

Making Tech fail just for drama's sake is weak writing.

It's the same as killing off a Red Shirt Trope for cheap Drama Points.

We should be moving past using old tropes like killing off Red Shirts.

As a creative society, all those old tropes should be defeated, thrown out, and logic should be used.

If you want to kill a character, it needs to be earned.

I would like to see a show portraying competent people dealing with problems with intelligence and facing a competent adversary that uses intelligent ways of doing whatever evil deeds they plan on doing.

So far, the DMA is a great "Weapon", if the DMA is a "Weapon".

But we need to see more competence from the main cast.

Agreed. Way too much deux ex machina in these episodes. Usually it’s Burnham, this time, literally, with Zora.

Back