Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x05 - "Mirrors"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
That's an incorrect fan myth. There was no differentiation between the USS and ISS Enterprises in the original version of "Mirror, Mirror". They did their usual mix-n-match stock shots for both ships.

During the universe jump sequence (quick flashing colors warning)...
... both Enterprises are represented by Second Pilot stock flybys. The one flying left to right is the USS. The one flying right to left is the ISS.

Orbital flybys of the ISS Enterprise, like the one shown during the opening log entry,....
... are Production stock shots.

The USS Enterprise leaving orbit after Kirk and bunch have returned...
... is a Production stock shot.

The general idea in that episode was that both ships are meant to be visually the same on the outside with the noticeable differences on the inside.

The ST: TOS-R bunch making the two ships visually different, because the fell for the fan myth, kind of declaws the universe change reveal. In the original version you have that wonderfully confusing "WTF was that all about!" moment with the screen popping and the ship abruptly changing directions. Then we cut to the transporter room for a "WTF is going on" moment. The ST: TOS-R version of the reveal is more of a bland "huh" when it flicks between the two ships with an "Oh, okay" when we cut the transporter room. Them making the Enterprises visually different also removes the "It's the same but it's not the same" element which is kind of the crux of the story. i.e. "It looks like our Enterprise but it's not".
Budget:hugegrin:

I think it's clever. An upside-down delta looks cool.
The issue I had with them using an upside down delta was that it's just another example of how the modern shows seem to have an odd obsession with sticking the delta everywhere.
The reverse image continents on the globe are stupid.
Yeah, that is silly. I preferred what they did on Enterprise where they had the continents presented as they should be, but the animated graphic of the globe rotated in the opposite direction, which if a literal representation would mean that on Mirror Earth the sun would rise in the west and set in the east. In my "head canon" if you will, I imagined that back in caveman days, there was a tribe of cavemen who made a decision to travel in the direction of the sun, which meant going in opposite directions in the two universes, which is what cascaded in making the Prime and Mirror Universes what they are.

Regardless of anything else, this episode is worth watching just for that absolutely gorgeous shot of the Enterprise coming out of the aperture. God damn it's a thing of beauty.

The writers choose to have the ISS Enterprise still magically have power 800 years after it stranded.

To be fair, I have been complaining about things like that since the Arsenal of Freedom and Contagion (Iconian gateway) on TNG. As ridiculous as it is, this trope is seen again and again and again in Trek, often times MUCH longer then 800 years.

"I bet it's going to be difficult for Moll and L'ak to escape now."
"Actually it's going to be super easy, barely an inconvenience."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah, they make their getaway in the ship's warp pod."
"Warp pod? Is that a thing?"
"It is now."

"i want you to get allll the way off of my back about that."
"so the plot can happen?"
:so the plot can happen!"

Having stayed away from "The Burnham Show", I figured "What the heck" and started rewatching it. After a very strong episode by DISCO-standards (which I'd rate 8/10), comes this absolute piece of garbage! Again, no respect for the source material by having the screen of ISS Enterprise to be a window when we know that the viewscreen is not, and never has been, a window. Burnham is as intolerable as ever but the Breen were interesting so a 1/10 is warranted.

Again, no respect for the source material by having the screen of ISS Enterprise to be a window when we know that the viewscreen is not, and never has been, a window.
Sure it has
SqPT8eT.png

Having stayed away from "The Burnham Show", I figured "What the heck" and started rewatching it. After a very strong episode by DISCO-standards (which I'd rate 8/10), comes this absolute piece of garbage! Again, no respect for the source material by having the screen of ISS Enterprise to be a window when we know that the viewscreen is not, and never has been, a window. Burnham is as intolerable as ever but the Breen were interesting so a 1/10 is warranted.

Can't wait to see what you think of Strange New Worlds, or any of those Discovery season two episodes with the Enterprise in... :rolleyes:

I see not a single valid comment here, so just a bash. These have all been reasonably debunked by now, but you're free to dislike, as unreasonable as that may be.

To be fair, I have been complaining about things like that since the Arsenal of Freedom and Contagion (Iconian gateway) on TNG. As ridiculous as it is, this trope is seen again and again and again in Trek, often times MUCH longer then 800 years.
Doesn't seem ridiculous depending on location and technology level. Scifi has ancient aliens dating back to the 1920s in literature. Star Trek itself is full of them.

Considering the age of the universe, and limiting our speculation to when the galaxy was more livable, there could be a staggering amount of civilizations that developed at different rates. As far back as TOS they realized this.

Often they're presented as extinct, sometimes with lone survivors or survive as tech. Sometimes they leave memorials. Sometimes they transcend corporeal life.

Point being, any of these species that had a full million or billion years to develop would have tech that's magical to us.

Self-regenerating tech, matter-energy transmutation, automation...abundant in this current age could easily be applied to keeping ships or tech viable for long periods.

I also pointed out before that the Enterprise's location might have acted to keep the ship in a kind of stasis. It was stuck because it couldn't fit out of the anomaly, not because it wasn't repairable.

Back