Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x04 - "Face the Strange"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
I'm just thankful Robert April is now on a live action show. They didn't need to do that. And there certainly was no obligation to be consistent with a 1970s cartoon which has already been contradicted plenty of times in the franchise.

I don't believe there have been very many violations. In fact, lower Deck has established even some of the crazier stuff from TAS as being in-universe real. I don't like pick and choosing what counts and doesn't count when clever storytelling can explain most contradictions. This is not one of those contradictions that can be explained.

I think we've come to a time when the "everything on screen is Canon" idea needs to be tempered somewhat.

Some things are placeholders. Some were never anticipated to be inspected so closely, etc etc.

If we now consider TAS Canon, then clearly some things in it can't be. Same with Discovery. Some retcons are much better than the original presentation.

There's some room for head canon here. I am going to assume the 2 turbo lifts in TAS aren't Canon for example. Same with Lower Decks. I assume some events are Canon but the balance of the goofy elements are not.

I don't believe there have been very many violations. In fact, lower Deck has established even some of the crazier stuff from TAS as being in-universe real. I don't like pick and choosing what counts and doesn't count when clever storytelling can explain most contradictions. This is not one of those contradictions that can be explained.
It all counts. No "clever" explanations needed. "Clever" is how we get the Augment virus. Hard pass.
Sure it can. They hired a new actor. Same explanation as Saavik.
1Q68TIq.jpg

What's the simpler explanation? That Nemesis simply used a photo of a bald Tom Hardy for Picard's Academy photo as a visual reminder that Shinzon looks like a young Picard, or that Picard actually spent his stay at the Academy flip-flopping on whether he wanted to shave his head or have a full head of hair?

And one is a mediocre father who doesn't mention his son once when he rattles off his biography and achievements in Season 3 of PIC.
Mediocre fathers are a Trek norm: Sarek, both Kirks (George and James), McCoy, Admiral Paris, Father of Annika Hansen

Last edited:
The only two on this list I can fully agree with are Sarek and Hansen.

We don't even know for sure McCoy is a father... that's mostly novels and a story that never made it to a TOS episode. So I can't count him.

We have never seen Paris with his son, so we have no frame of reference. We get some colored views from Tom on his time as a student at the Academy and him feeling the pressure to join Starfleet, but we never see it. (He was heading the Pathfinder project, so he does at least show more concern than some other fathers in the franchise.)

James was an absent father, at Carol's request. I personally detest the idea of an absent father, but I will give him credit for respecting the mother's wishes. (However, I still agree it was very bad.)

George Kirk... we have never even seen him, and any negative view seems to come from Sam, who might not be giving an accurate view. (I'm not counting the Kelvin timeline because it's an alternate universe.)

Truthfully, I'd rather have a mediocre one than the abysmal Hansen. Taking your young daughter with you on a dangerous trip to search for aliens that may be totally hostile?

Both of Seven's parents are the low point of parenthood in the franchise.
Hard to find a babysitter who will take "bettering one's self" as payment. ;)

Ch-ch-ch-changges! First thing that came to mind when this thread popped up again.:whistle:

Doesn't Tuvok have a lot of kids? I'm assuming someone raised them right.

Back