Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x03 - "Jinaal"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters

Commander Richard

Yo! Man!
Premium Member

stdsc503.jpg

"On Trill, Captain Burnham, Book, and Culber must pass a dangerous test to prove themselves worthy of the next clue. Adira reconnects with Gray and Saru’s first day as ambassador is complicated by his engagement to T’Rina." - Memory Alpha

Shit. I hate my 40s. I really hate my 40s the deeper I get into them. Last week I was able to pull this off. This week I can't. I'm going to have to go sleep and watch this in the morning. I don't have it in me to stay up until 2:00-something AM this time.

I turn 40 this year, and I don't think I want to stay up for this episode (It should come out around 11:15 PM, but last week it came out late). I'm not sure this series is worth staying up for anymore. Also, I was surprised how not active last week's threads seemed by the time I saw the episodes so maybe it's worth waiting after all.

I have disliked every single Trill episode on Star Trek so far. Including all of them on DS9. Hell, even the first one on TNG.

The concept itself is great - Stargate basically just took it, combined with the conspiracy bugs, and created one of the best alien races in fiction, period! They did so many interesting, creative things with the concept and had so many interesting, unique characters.

But on Star Trek... everything Trill has been just grating to watch. Yes, even (especially) Jadzia everytime she goes into her background. So yeah. If I don't hate this episode, I will count that as a win...

That Vulcan is quite Spockish :D
Are they in the same quarry again? :D
Dominion War reference!
What an odd breakup conversation :wtf:
Ah, the beast of tanagra from the scene they showed months ago - curious that it was from E3, not 1

Slog-o-Cola is still a thing in the 32nd century

SDEpWV5.png

R41suYU.png

But this is concerning :crazy:

3MtLaIR.png

In TNG, they influenced evolution of existing life towards humanoid shapes. Now they say they "designed life" :shifty:

Last edited:
I have disliked every single Trill episode on Star Trek so far. Including all of them on DS9. Hell, even the first one on TNG.

The concept itself is great - Stargate basically just took it, combined with the conspiracy bugs, and created one of the best alien races in fiction, period! They did so many interesting, creative things with the concept and had so many interesting, unique characters.

But on Star Trek... everything Trill has been just grating to watch. Yes, even (especially) Jadzia everytime she goes into her background. So yeah. If I don't hate this episode, I will count that as a win...
I have noticed that when I watch DS9 I subconsciously skip any Trill background episodes. Despite absolutely loving both Jadzia and Ezri.

“This guy really works out.”

Wilson Cruz looked like he was having a blast this episode, and honestly, this is the most fun I’ve had with the show since they made the jump to the future.

Rayner’s such a welcome addition to the cast, and it seems such a shame they found their groove right as the show’s ending. Let’s hope they stick the landing.

Why is Michael going on all these away missions? She’s the captain. She should be on the bridge.
I also laughed when Michael introduced the bridge crew to him. Like they will be important. They haven’t been before. :)

I know but this is a different era. It would let some of the other cast to shine. Not every episode needs to be Michael.

Technology to design new life forms, accelerate evolutions and create eco systems.
Doesn’t Starfleet already have technology like that? The Genesis device

Genesis doesn't work.

I got distracted near the end, have the simbionts been tricked into believing that they have a much shorter life span than they actually do, so they should commit ritual suicide after 8 centuries? I only ask because I've seen that story before.

Even if the Simbionts are only pretending to die, swimming off into the deep end, so that that the Trill stop riding them around like community bicycles, I've also seen that story before too.

I had to explain to my wife that Old Ryan Gosling murdered Old Rachel McAdams, and then killed himself at the end of The Note Book, because she was trying to sell me some bullshit about how they loved each other so much that... Their souls wanted to go to heaven and frolic?

Last edited:
I enjoyed this week more than the first two episodes, so a 9.

We got a Dominion War reference, and I believe I heard a Tzenkethi reference too. Somebody once served on the new Voyager ship too!

I'm enjoying Comannder Asshat's addition to the crew, as he offers something to the show we haven't seen since Lorca maybe?

We got a bonafide Reno appearance too, offering advice for Adira regarding Gray.

I was also happy to see my fears about Saru not appearing as often seem unwarranted.

Last edited:
Back