Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x03 - "Jinaal"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
I know she HAS been a plot focus. I'm saying she SHOULDN'T be.
Why? Because you don't like the character/performer?
If this was an assignment in my creative writing class, I'd tell Michelle Paradise she should cut Adira and Gray and focus instead on Detmer and Owo because both characters are more dynamic by far.
Detmer and Owo are pretty bland and the actors average at best. Oladejo is better than Coutts (and del Barrio for that matter). I find nothing about them all that interesting. Not sure the actors could rise to the occasion even with "better" material. Detmer looks cool with the undercut and tech, but that's about it. Imagine LaForge being played by an actor with Anthony Montgomery's "charisma". :lol:
You, and a few others here, may like Adira and Gray, but that is NOT the general consensus elsewhere. So to sacrifice characters that WERE garnering interest in order to Make room for them is a poor choice.
Like would be a strong word. Neither has impressed me. Like others, I feel the actors aren't all that good. Del Barrio has gotten better. Alexander, not so much. Best in small doses.

I give this one a resounding "meh". It was fine? I feel like it yanked a ton of the mystery out of the story so early on. "A bunch of 24th century scientists 100% already found this and then *WE* hid it."... ok?

You are right on here. A better way to do this would be for the scientists to have found evidence (not sure what kind) that the tech was still out there, but then that research gets lost, as we saw, and then found again in the 32nd century. Having to do actual sleuthing and science rather than follow an old scavenger hunt could be much more interesting, if the writers could pull it off.

Detmer and Owo are pretty bland and the actors average at best. Oladejo is better than Coutts (and del Barrio for that matter). I find nothing about them all that interesting. Not sure the actors could rise to the occasion even with "better" material. Detmer looks cool with the undercut and tech, but that's about it. Imagine LaForge being played by an actor with Anthony Montgomery's "charisma". :lol:
Oladejo may have some decent acting chops, but not for sci-fi.

An okay episode.

They are at least making an effort to give other members of the bridge crew screen time, which is good. And we have an aswer as to where Nilsson went to.

Rayner seems like another Liam Shaw.

If Trill has these creatures that cloak, and there are Trills in Starfleet in the 23rd century - meaning there is awareness of these creatures, doesn't it contradict "Balance of Terror" somewhat? Like, Starfleet should be aware of an organic way to cloak that doesn't require a tremendous power cost? Since we've seen species like the Xindi use organics in their technology, and even Starfleet use the tardigrade for the spore drive. Or are supposed to think that Starfleet in the 23rd century did know, but its illegal? Forget the cloaks seen in Enterprise, this is an issue for SNW to explore.

I'll give this episode an 8/10.This season is very consistent in quality so far.

I think Detmer and Owosekun should've been promoted to main characters. The rest of them, I'm not going to pretend I care.

Detmer at least definitely should have been promoted to main cast by now, since she’s been there since the first episode.

Why? Because you don't like the character/performer?

Like would be a strong word. Neither has impressed me. Like others, I feel the actors aren't all that good. Del Barrio has gotten better. Alexander, not so much. Best in small doses.
The actors are very good in their assigned roles: background actors that were familiar with. Trekkies get confused because they tend to use the same background actors with lines over a period of time, but in previous shows they didn't have the budget to pay them to talk or stay that long.

That said I like these characters and the fact we all wanted to know more about the them should be chalked up as a win for the writers and casting directors in the show.

If Trill has these creatures that cloak, and there are Trills in Starfleet in the 23rd century - meaning there is awareness of these creatures, doesn't it contradict "Balance of Terror" somewhat? Like, Starfleet should be aware of an organic way to cloak that doesn't require a tremendous power cost? Since we've seen species like the Xindi use organics in their technology, and even Starfleet use the tardigrade for the spore drive. Or are supposed to think that Starfleet in the 23rd century did know, but its illegal? Forget the cloaks seen in Enterprise, this is an issue for SNW to explore.

It was a bit muddled, he says "Their scales control the way light refracts." which is fine, that's not a cloaking device. But then they can't seem to detect them with sensors, which is something completely different. I suppose that could be a completely separate ability, or it could just be a function of the quarry, like how it was blocking transport.

Sulu was in most episodes from "The Man Trap" to "Turnabout Intruder" but wasn't ever promoted to the main cast. Sure, sure, 1960s television versus 2020s TV but that's not the point. A lot of appearances and even dialogue does not a lead character make. Nor should it.

And I say that as someone who enjoys both Detmer and Owo, particularly the latter.

Sulu was in most episodes from "The Man Trap" to "Turnabout Intruder" but wasn't ever promoted to the main cast. Sure, sure, 1960s television versus 2020s TV but that's not the point. A lot of appearances and even dialogue does not a lead character make. Nor should it.

And I say that as someone who enjoys both Detmer and Owo, particularly the latter.
Fun fact: Leslie appeared in more episodes than Sulu.

Back