Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x04 - "Face the Strange"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
You know what? I actually forgot about that.

But except for that mention, we have no basis of knowing if he was a good father or not.
Dad goes on deep space five year mission, unless Joanna McCoy was an adult during the TOS era and living her best life, a child would miss their father for five years.

Dad goes on deep space five year mission, unless Joanna McCoy was an adult during the TOS era and living her best life, a child would miss their father for five years.

So any father who is in Starfleet is a bad one simply because they are in the service?

That's not fair, because that also paints fathers in the military as bad ones just because they are in the service.

I certainly can't call McCoy a bad father on that basis alone.

In the Kelvin Timeline George Kirk was a pretty incredible dad all things considered. He sacrificed his own life to save his newborn son and his wife Winona along with 800 other people from certain death.

I have A LOT of issues with that movie, but that beginning was really good. And if the Prime George Kirk is anything like the Kelvin version, I'd be very shocked if we find out he was a bad father.

Based on what little we know of him from "What Are Little Girls Made Of?(TOS)," the 2009 movie and SNW he seemed an attentive and loving parent. He saw off his son Jim when he took command of the Enterprise, Jim used him as his inspiration to join Starfleet and both Kirk brothers vied for career approval in their father's eyes.

George Kirk has been brought up a couple times in SNW, nothing bad was really said about him, other than Sam saying he had old fashioned ideals about what made a successful career.

So any father who is in Starfleet is a bad one simply because they are in the service?

That's not fair, because that also paints fathers in the military as bad ones just because they are in the service.

I certainly can't call McCoy a bad father on that basis alone.
Please read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.

Based on what little we know of him from "What Are Little Girls Made Of?(TOS)," the 2009 movie and SNW he seemed an attentive and loving parent. He saw off his son Jim when he took command of the Enterprise, Jim used him as his inspiration to join Starfleet and both Kirk brothers vied for career approval in their father's eyes.

I get the impression he pitted one brother against the other. Encouraging Jim cos he was on,(in his perception), prestigious command track and looking down on George because his ambition was in the sciences. He had a favourite son (Jim) and showed it.

Last edited:
Hell, Jim Kirk may well have been a great father for David Marcus had Carol permitted Kirk to be in their son's life and had the Captain actually been able to find the time to be a parent, however infrequent and distant. There's little in Kirk's history dating back to "Where No Man Has Gone Before(TOS)" that would suggest he'd be a terrible parent, and in fact the kind-hearted, soft way with which he approaches helping Charlie Evans adjust to the social awkwardness of adolescence indicates he may well have been a warm, nurturing father figure even in his cowboy diplomacy, gunslinging TOS days in Starfleet.

I think it comes down to how one views Stamets. Early Stamets is a curmudgeon that is a genius. Over time, we see him moving past his work, and building on his relationship, and seeking that relationship, to the point that he is angry as hell as Burnham for risking people. He's actually moving through Erikson's developmental stages in a way I quite expect and understand.
My takeaway is that yes, he may have a predilection for bring a curmudgeon, but his real agitation was being forced to work on a warship under Lorca. He was different after Lorca was gone. I think the whole war was a diversion from what he really wanted to do

Back