Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by HotRod, May 15, 2020.

1. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I think a lot of it is that with the classic TOS/TNG-style stand-alone/episodic/procedural storytelling, you can literally pop in any episode from any season at any given time without having to watch any episodes before or after it to have a complete story. You can even mix-up episodes from different seasons if you wanted to and for the most part you really wouldn't notice. You can go from Balance of Terror to Day of the Dove and then back to Amok Time, all in one evening. You can watch you favorite episodes at any time without having to watch any episode before or after to get the whole story. You can't so that with serialized television.

I like Discovery and Picard for the most part. And most of my favorite non-Trek shows are serialized. I'm not against serialization at all. But I totally understand why someone would find 13 new stand-alone Star Trek episodes the sink their teeth into appealing.

I don't have any proof, and it may just be some headcanoning on my part, but I thought maybe the "House of Kor" was named for a Klingon warrior long deceased named Kor, and the Kor from TOS/DS9 was named in honor of the deceased Kor. EDIT: I think I know where I got thos idea now that I've thought about it. This was the approach taken in the IDW comics Star Trek: Discovery: Aftermath series. So, I know it's not canon, but I like the concept.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Lexomatic likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, TNG was a little more serialized than TOS. Like, for example, in the Klingon Civil War mini-arc.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The last time we had a full season of Traditional Trek was ENT Season 2. Hopefully 18 years (from 2003 to 2021) and a different creative team will have made a difference.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Not that new a thing for the board - we were around last time there was a new series. It was partly that experience (the ENT forum was a clusterfuck in the early days) that informs the "slow but steady" approach to starting new forums, and there is now also the issue of the sheer number of new projects being announced. This board doesn't have the traffic it used to, and the more forums you have the more spread out that traffic becomes and the more unwieldy it all is. In general, a forum for a new show is started when there is a sustained level of discussion high enough to warrant it. For SNW, there's one announcement so far and not a frame of filmed footage. Lower Decks has little more, and S31 may not happen at all. Future of Trek has more than enough capacity for this purpose.

Although you dismiss the issue of new moderators, that is a real factor. A current series forum takes a lot of work as I and the other Disco mods can attest, and we're all volunteers. Asking someone to take on PIC or SNW forums is no small task and most of the active moderators already cover more than one forum. Usually we have to recruit new blood for a new series forum.

Three serialised seasons of Trek, zero stuck landings, probably doesn't help. I enjoy serialised TV, but the current creative force behind Trek isn't great at it.

serabine and plynch like this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I disagree with this, but you know that. I shouldn't be up at 4:00 AM and am too tired to say anything more. So I'm pretty much only saying it just to say it. This is all opinion vs. opinion. :p

Alwaystrekkin and cultcross like this.
  6. cultcross

Oh, of course - but I think the spread of the opinion I posted is partly the answer to @Vger23 's question.

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I’m hoping casting starts soon cause I wanna know who is playing chief engineer louvier and Dr. Boyce cause all the other bridge crew/senior staff is pretty much covered

8. cultcross

Not necessarily the same characters as The Cage, of course, this is set after it.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In all but name, Orville season 2 was this in 2017.

10. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always say that:
    1. Story and plots should be more episodical (even in larger arcs - in ENT season 3 or the Dominion War episodes, each episode had a clear beginning, middle and end)
    2. The CHARACTER arcs should be serialized! The arcs and developments should spill over from one episode to the next.

Kitty Worrier, SoM, cultcross and 7 others like this.
  11. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

it was set years later

12. Lorcan Kelly

Lorcan Kelly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not sure if anyone has seen but there is some great comparisons online from Trek Central/TrekMovie etc showing how much Jeffery Combs looks like Boyce now. That would be a lovely casting choice.

13. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

In case the writers are reading this (and they won't be), can I just say one thing. Get all your characters properly fleshed out before the script is written. I want characters with actual personalities, not rear ends to fill bridge seats.

I do not want another poor Mayweather.

Some of it is because the writing hasn't really done a good job of it. To be fair very few space opera shows have done well when it comes to story arcs... Largely because the writers have no idea where it's going, but also the issue that a travelling ship makes it difficult to do long story arcs if there isn't something "special" about the leading ship.

Some of it though is down to pure nostalgia, which seems to be a huge driving force in Star Trek fandom. It's a problem because, well, it doesn't really reflect reality.

Again, nostalgia before reason. It is a real problem in this fandom.

Honestly I'm not even a fan of the costumes for the Enterprise crew. Anything that tries to give a different twist on an absurd bright 60's costume just looks like an expensive fanfilm. I just do not like the TOS aesthetic at all.

As someone else said, it stinks of "small universe". Plus I'm not a huge fan of fanservice and I feel the show should be able to stand on its own. I'd actually have been happy if SNW had been an entirely new crew on an entirely different Constitution class ship.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So, you're confirming their appearance then...

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm all for Kirk being at least a semiregular.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Episodic is more satisfying, as serialized long arcs tend to be longer than needed and each show dribbles out information.

plynch likes this.
  17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be so certain. She hasn't posted in ages, but Kirsten Beyer is a member of the BBS and used to post here occasionally in the Trek Lit forum.

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  18. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry son, that's where you lost me.

[​IMG]

19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that's true. If it were, how do you explain the overwhelming popularity of serialized television seasons?

Blooded likes this.
  20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Cannot speak to why current viewers like serialization. I don't care for it.