Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by HotRod, May 15, 2020.

1. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

If I had my druthers, I’d rather see an appearance from Captain/Commodore April than Kirk. Preferably in his cardigan.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it were just used for that definition, then it would be great. But, canon is used to beat things up now, in a way that is essentially creating a tier system of importance. So, canon has become largely useless because of the need to categorize everything.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Boyce doesn't need to "end up" on the Enterprise. He was already there, years before SNW will take place (and before we saw the Enterprise on DIS). We don't need to see him again because he could have retired or taken up a position elsewhere by now. I agree with Dennis and others who have said the rest of the crew badly needs some diversity added in with all three top roles being filled by white people.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I could see an episode where they catch up with Boyce wherever he retired or was assigned to. That's a very TOS type of plot.

Skywalker likes this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'll say what I always say, "It's not going to be as much the same as some people want, but it's also not going to be as different as some other people want." I can say it in my sleep.

I think "Such Sweet Sorrow" and Short Treks gave us a pretty good glimpse of the crew. Judging by the bridge, and who Short Treks has spotlighted, it'll be more like DSC and less like "The Cage". I think they can afford to have Boyce.

The Chief Engineer is a woman, the First Officer is a woman, helm and navigation are women, Colt is a woman, and Upjohn (who we'll probably see) is a woman. Spock is a man but at Science, Louvier is a man, and Pike is obviously a man. Bring in Boyce and the main cast will still tilt female.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  6. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

They could pander to the purists and offer an inuniverse reason why Spock ended up as the only alien on Kirk's Enterprise.
    After Pike was promoted to Fleet Captain, his whole crew resigned en masse, except Spock and Bryce.
    Or they transfered to Section 32, paragraph V
    Or after shore leave on Borath (again) the time crystals warned them it will all end badly wth Captain Janice Lester, so they quit.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    The Wormhole likes this.
  7. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boyce or piper.. Either way you have and older, 50s. 60s guy which would be good as you have a curmudgeonly old man as the Cmo.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prediction: John Slattery as Boyce

(I do hope they have Boyce as CMO and not Piper. Piper was just a grouch.)

Assuming it's the same one whom Pike told to rip out the holographic comm system? No, that one was male.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I mixed up Upjohn with Louvier.

10. Phil123

Phil123 Commander Red Shirt

Very excited about this.

I’m not big on DISCO - but not a hater, and Picard was okay, but Arson Mount was so so good in season 2 of disco, and the interior redesign of enterprise was very good.

the update that it will be more episodic is also fantastic, and will hopefully make it more watchable and able to explore more stories and issues, rather than putting all its plot eggs in one basket!

Skipper, Jadeb and Qonundrum like this.
  11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hope it's Upjohn

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would say the only casting the show really needs is a transperson.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Going by An Obol for Charon, Such Sweet Sorrow, and Q&A, which are most likely tHe sources that will most influence this series, the principal crew of the Enterprise under Pike as of the late 2250s, which is probably when the series will start, is as follows:
    Una/Number One (XO/Navigator)
    Spock (Chief Science Officer)
    Vincente Nicola (Communications Officer),
    Jamila Amin (Helm Officer)
    Trina Mann (Tactical Officer)
    Louvier (Chief Engineer)

If you throw Boyce into the mix, you've got a fairly evenly distributed mix of gender representation, with an ability to bring in more diverse representation as deemed desirable or necessary.

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably will get none of this: Pike series seamlessly transitions into WNMHGB. No other TOS crew, maybe names dropped. Do not need Phlox, or Robau. T'Pol only to counsel Spock. No FC with races rarely seen in TNG.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We always need Robau.

16. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

It's pretty unlikely that they'll feel committed to reusing actors cast 2 years ago for this series. They might be in the background but the requirements for a part that has 2 lines vs a semi-main cast is drastically different.

Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  17. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

There should be a cameo by old Porthos.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm assuming they pick up right after S2 of DSC, but what if they picked up right after Q&A?

It would give them more time to work with.

Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk takes command somewhere around 2265. Disco S2 is set 2257. Chances of the Strange New Worlds going 7 years are very slim, and that only matters if they insist on following some kind of one season = one year thing like Berman-era Trek constantly did.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.