Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x07 - "Unification III"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
This series is getting worse by the week. It actually peaked in the 2nd episode, and that's only because Michael wasn’t the centre of universe once again
you got it backwards. Episode 2 was probably the weakest of the season. But then again you judge them purely based on how much Michael has to do in them.
I really hope this is the final ever season of this series
Bad news for you. Season 4 is already in production and I am pretty sure Michael is still going to be there .

Last edited:
I found an issue with the epusode. The mother blurts out that Georgiou was killed at the battle of the Binary Stars. That isn’t supposed to be common knowledge. Most of the crew don’t know that and think she’s just retired.

I like Tilly and this season we are getting more of the other people on the ship and Keyla seems to be getting a lot more to do this series.

Well, Tilly as CO is just a huge disappointment, she’s far too green.

I loved the Spock scene. But the ‘courtroom’ and mother stuff was just so incredibly dull. A filler episode. They’re in the freaking future, and they just stand about chatting for so long. Sheesh.

100 years is a long time. They are treating it like the Burn just happened.
Not for a long lived Vulcanoid, that's like 50 years for a human

This episode was a lot more grounded and believable than Unification II, with Sela and that silly plan to invade.
2000 Romulan soldiers can do a lot of damage to 6 plus billion people...they will be entrenched....right?

As I'm sure someone's already pointed out upthread, MU Tilly had a pretty fast track to command too.
By killing everyone above her, I bet

Trek has generally speaking always been terrible depicting a reasonable amount of multiracial people - whether human or human-alien hybrids. I suppose one could partially chalk this up to presentism, and partially to the vagrancies of casting. But if I were casting director of a Trek show, I would make 80% of the humans an indeterminate brown.
Just to read the clutch de pearls reponses I just wish they would...

Last edited:
I think the stardate (45825) problem can be explained away. What Burnham and Book watched was not a recording made in the Romulus tunnels; it was a speech that Spock made later in 2368 - he just took whole chunks from his talks with Picard as they were so effective.

I found an issue with the epusode. The mother blurts out that Georgiou was killed at the battle of the Binary Stars. That isn’t supposed to be common knowledge. Most of the crew don’t know that and think she’s just retired.
this is a good point: Georgiu is supposedly still alive officially.

I guess Michael told her during their conversation earlier in the episode.

Yet it was made pretty clear why this was the way to go in this case.

The Americans are so used to lawyers distorting facts, telling half-truths, using the system and technicalities that they can't conceive that another system may exist. For instance, there is no use in France to get up and yell "objection" or try to disrupt a witness' testimony because the judge is the one in charge of the procedure. So our courts are less agitated and dramatic than yours, which is probably why courtroom dramas are not as popular here as they are in the USA. But don't worry the judges are kept in check too so that it doesn't change anything about the fairness of the trial.
There is no in universe reason for an alien system to reflect ancient North American court rooms

So the name Ni’var is very appropriate

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ni'Var

According to memory alpha

Can we finally lay to rest the notion that CBS/Paramount doesn't appreciate fan contributions to Star Trek? Ni'Var comes from some of the very first Star Trek fanfic, and they didn't just use it as a throwaway reference (like the USS Nog or USS Yelchin) they renamed Star Trek's most important planet after it. It's a very big deal. I hope Ms. Dorothy Jones is still around to see it.

I do like that there are a fair amount of brown humans on Disco's bridge and sickbay.
Yeah the franchise is improving on that front. It would be even more interesting if Owo was from Australia, Detmer from China or Mars, human migration around the planet should be the norm in the 23rd century.
Live in South Africa but work in Paris, take the 9 to 5 transporter to work each day

Why isn't that common knowledge and why doesn't the crew know?

As to the extent of Ni'Vari (?) jurisdiction c. 3189, I'm also curious. What holdings has Reunification brought into a Ni'Vari "zone of influence" that used to be either Federation, Romulan or independent?

I loved this.

But I can't tell you how much I don't need to see Burnham family American-soap-opera rubbish.

I love SMG and I like Burnham, but I really would prefer they got over this weird obsession with making Burnham's pop up all over the galaxy and all over the timeline.

Even Seven and Data weren't overused this much - Jeri Ryan Singing Scenes and Brent Spiner Likes to do Funny Voices Scenes were nowhere near as grating as this gunk.

Why isn't that common knowledge and why doesn't the crew know?
Only a few know what happened to her. Most of the crew that joined Discovery after season one think that she is just the captain retired. All mirror information was supposed to be classified

Someone upthread tried to compare her to a doctor just out of residency. That doctor may be very green and inexperienced, but s↕he would still outrank all the RNs in a hospital regardless of their experience. Tilly is in that same position. She may be the worst candidate, but by virtue of her training, she is still a candidate. I would hope that the writers are using the opportunity to challenge Tilly, illustrate the toughter sides of leadership, rather than paper over those aspects.

Yes, I raised the physician analogy. I'm afraid I entirely disagree with your response on several levels. Your comments regarding RNs are just not relevant here (and any junior intern physician disregarding a senior RN is a f***ing idiot). In terms of the medical analogy, RNs are not part of this equation; Saru just promoted the junior intern (an ensign) over the Residents (lieutenants) and Senior Fellows (lieutenant commanders and commanders) -- but it really doesn't matter what the analogy is, it's still crap fan-wanky writing.

This is not about doling the position out to just anyone simply because of their substantive rank: Reno, for example, is probably the next most senior officer on the ship -- but chances are she'd also be the first to say that (a) she really wouldn't want it and (b) she'd likely be really bad at it (although I suspect the latter may not be true if she applied herself).

It's an acting appointment until a longer-term answer is found. That's fair enough but a senior lieutenant with the right training ad experience, and who could well be close to promotion to lieutenant commander anyway, would be an entirely suitable candidate for such an acting appointment and temporary (if not substantive) promotion to lieutenant commander. That would be appropriate for an acting XO.

Look, I like the character of Tilly a lot -- she's funny, she's quirky, she's probably the last remaining vestiges of the "Lower Decks" aspect of Discovery and therefore she's a vehicle for exploring a character viewpoint rarely seen in Trek. I also like Mary Wiseman as an actor and for the way she plays Tilly. This whole first officer thing, however, is just utterly contrived and rings hollow because of it.

Back