Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x07 - "Unification III"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters

Commander Richard

Yo! Man!
Premium Member

stdsc307.jpg

29 820 years in the making…​

"While grappling with the fallout of her recent actions, and what her future might hold, Burnham agrees to represent the Federation in an intense debate about the release of politically sensitive – but highly valuable – Burn data." - TrekMovie.com

"While grappling with the fallout of her recent actions, and what her future might hold, Burnham agrees to represent the Federation in an intense debate about the release of politically sensitive – but highly valuable – Burn data."

When you're burned, you've got nothing: no starship, no credit, no Federation history. You're stuck on whatever planet they decide to dump you on. You do whatever work comes your way. You rely on anyone who's still talking to you. A trigger-happy Bajoran. An old friend who used to inform on you to Section 31. Family too... if you're desperate. Bottom line? Until you figure out who burned you, you're not going anywhere.

Politically sensitive suggests that it was an ally or a member... Vulcans did it? Or Romulans did it, but they're friends with the Vulcans now?

I hope nobody cries this week.
Generally, in any random episode, I would agree. But if there is a scene where she learns of Spock's life and fate, it would be odd if she doesn't react emotionally. She grew up on Vulcan. Perhaps she also learns what happened to Sarek and how Amanda died, etc.

This.

I'm getting sick of the melodramatic tears. It happens so often that it doesn't feel authentic anymore and thus I feel nothing.
If they could just get the knack at writing emotional moments that are earned, they wouldn't have to lean so damn much on trying to manipulate the audience into caring about character beats they haven't been investing in.

You either connect with the characters or you don't. I connected with them from Season 1, Episode 1. So I cared about what happened to them from the beginning.

If you don't connect with them, nothing will feel "earned", because you're not invested in what's happening and you don't feel connected to it.

The result makes it look as if we're watching two different series. Because you interpret what you're watching one way and I interpret it another. It's like "Emissary" when Sisko and Dax's Runabout lands inside the wormhole. Sisko sees storms outside and Jadzia sees beautiful greenery. Then, as they talked, they had no idea what the other was talking about. "You have a strange eye for beauty, Dax." That's what this is.

Hmmm... so Spock will be remembered as last logged as travelling to Romulus in a Jellyfish starship laden with red matter on a desperate errand to prevent catastrophe...

The danger with a title like this is expectation immediately goes off the chart. I mean, I will be really pissed if there’s no mention of Spock and how his life played out. If they do that well enough, there WILL be tears this week—mine! But really, I’m trying to keep expectations in check. Bring it on.

Hmmm... so Spock will be remembered as last logged as travelling to Romulus in a Jellyfish starship laden with red matter on a desperate errand to prevent catastrophe...
They had the tech to scan alternate timelines in Voyager's 29th century future as well as Enterprise's 30th, and Georgiou's interrogator seemed to know all about her and her universe so I won't be surprised if they know all about the Kelvin Universe too.

You either connect with the characters or you don't. I connected with them from Season 1, Episode 1. So I cared about what happened to them from the beginning.

If you don't connect with them, nothing will feel "earned", because you're not invested in what's happening and you don't feel connected to it.

The result makes it look as if we're watching two different series. Because you interpret what you're watching one way and I interpret it another. It's like "Emissary" when Sisko and Dax's Runabout lands inside the wormhole. Sisko sees storms outside and Jadzia sees beautiful greenery. Then, as they talked, they had no idea what the other was talking about. "You have a strange eye for beauty, Dax." That's what this is.
Exactly so. I am constantly reminded, especially this season, of "Balance of Terror." I didn't know Tomlinson or his bride long but I still felt for him dying. Is that melodrama? Maybe. Was I invested. Sure thing!

At this point, this show cannot earn anything. It is what it is.

This.

I'm getting sick of the melodramatic tears. It happens so often that it doesn't feel authentic anymore and thus I feel nothing.
If they could just get the knack at writing emotional moments that are earned, they wouldn't have to lean so damn much on trying to manipulate the audience into caring about character beats they haven't been investing in.
I don't know why people have hangups over crying to be honest, but it's your opinion and that's fair. My opinion is that considering how the crew has lost literally everything they ever knew, there realistically should be more crying. This out of universe "crying is bad" is exactly the same thing that causes Detmer to break down in-universe, and people in real life, because everyone's expected to act macho all the time in reality and, apparently, in fiction.

I guess it just hits a nerve with me because people (not anyone here, in general) say "Oh, they should have been honest about their feelings etc. instead of killing themselves, turning to drugs/crime, etc." and then the moment someone does cry and open up they are treated as "wimps", "God helps those who help themselves", etc.

If the crying bothers people so much, they don't have to watch Discovery and can send their money straight to rivals Witcher and Mandalorian on Netflix and Disney Plus, where everyone acts macho all the time no matter the circumstances. No judgement if you quit the show, I myself quit Lower Decks after Episode 5 and only stay on CBS for Picard and Discovery.

Back