Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x07 - "The Serene Squall"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Jun 15, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

20.9%
  2. 9

25.1%
  3. 8

22.5%
  4. 7

16.2%
  5. 6

5.8%
  6. 5

4.7%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

2.1%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Commodore Commodore

SNW seems pretty canon to me.

ToddCam, Sci, Trekker4747 and 3 others like this.
  2. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I operate under the assumption that this is an altered timeline and probably one that has been tinkered with multiple times.

3. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because of time delay, isn't that why we grant StarShip Captains leeway to make important decisions on their own?

So Spock could have normal human horniness levels + Extra Horniness levels when Ponn Farr comes around?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    jackoverfull likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

SNW is canon, so there is canon evidence. There's also no canon evidence against it.

Well, you'd be wrong.

5. KamenRiderBlade

How about we all just spell it differently and pronounce it in a similar phoenetic way.

Then everybody can be happy and we can all get along.

Instead of spelling it as "they/them", we can spell it as "dey/dem" but pronounce it in a similar phonetic way.

It wouldn't be the first time in the English Language that we have multiple words with similar phonetic pronounciation but different spellings with different meanings.

Problem solved.

6. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Oh, so that's what happened to Adira in the German translation! I just thought someone had a really hard time pronouncing "th". :D

7. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Conversely, there is no canon source that says they don't. But now, SNW makes it canon. And it is NOT a different timeline as someone else suggested.

jackoverfull and Sci like this.
  8. bdub76

bdub76 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

7/10. I liked the premise, but I didn't much care for the ending.

9. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Read this. DC Fontana was the story editor for TOS. Also STE is canon and Tpol was getting busy with Tucker constantly.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pon_farr

10. KamenRiderBlade

Why don't we just standardize on the German Spelling for all Latin languages, problem solved!

11. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Saying that Vulcans in a relationship can be sexually intimate with one-another outside of pon farr is not the same thing as saying that Vulcans "generally do it all the time."

In any event, ENT "Harbinger" established that Vulcans can have sex outside of pon farr almost 20 years ago, and ENT "Bound" established that Vulcans in a relationship kiss and engage in other physical demonstrations of affection. SNW is exploring the idea of Vulcans in a romantic relationship more thoroughly than ENT did, but it is not breaking new ground.

There is no canonical evidence against the idea that Vulcans can have sex outside of pon farr.

Voodoowoman2 and jackoverfull like this.
  12. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope Peck plays Sybok. That way we can have a sexy beard Spock again (who hopefully doesn't shave his chest).

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

O rly?
    I pointed out that Trip and T'Pol were engaged in non-Ponn Farr sexual relations in Enterprise's third season here:
    While Pubert referenced what DC Fontana has said on the matter and also referenced T'Pol and Trip's relationship here:

Sci and Jack Wolfe like this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Which thirtysomething actor has the gravitas to pull off a younger Laurence Luckinbill? Cast them.

15. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

look up trellium and what t'pol did with it - and it to her ;)
    so clearly not a valid example for general vulcan behavior.

simply answer this: how many vulcans did snw show so far, and what is their explicitly stated situation?
    canon evidence against it (from the scripts) was posted earlier. want me to post it again?

Mr. Nova likes this.
  16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Seems that common sense alone would disprove that Vulcan's only mate every seven years.
    Not exactly a reasonable way to proliferate a species.

Biologically speaking, that's a dead-end route to extinction.

Ponn Farr is more likely a means to insure that a Vulcan DOES Mate Eventually, not limit any or all sexual interactions.

It would seem that TOS Spock was avoiding his natural mating urges for far to long being in Star Fleet and it eventually caught up with him.
    And that could reasonably have resulted from his earlier difficult relationship with T'Pring.
    (which we are seeing now in SNW)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Nerys Myk, Sci and Jack Wolfe like this.
  17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Goal posts, moved.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh huh. And what about DC Fontana outright saying Vulcans do have sex more often?

19. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Nothing in ENT S3 established that sex outside of pon farr was a symptom of Trellium-D usage. T'Pol having difficulty suppressing her emotions is not the same thing. It is entirely plausible -- in fact, it is far more realistic -- to assume that Vulcans do, indeed, have sex outside of pon farr when they are with someone whom they trust, and that the symptom of Trellium-D usage was T'Pol having trouble suppressing her feelings for Trip, not T'Pol choosing to have sex per se.

So far, SNW has, that I can recall, depicting Spock; T'Pring; the waiter at the restaurant where T'Pring proposed to Spock; a number of T'Pring's subordinates at her job; a number of incarcerated Vulcans undergoing rehabilitation; the V'tosh ka'tur whom Spock apprehended while in T'Pring's body; Stonn; and Sybok.

Of these Vulcans, we only have information about the sex lives of Spock, T'Pring, and Sybok. Spock and T'Pring appear to be in a committed monogamous relationship and are engaged to marry, and we know that they regularly engage in sexual intimacy. We have also learned that Sybok was apparently in a relationship with Angel, implying that they were likely sexually intimate at least once.

Also:

You gonna explain to me how it is Sarek's marriages to Amanda and to Perrin survived without non-pon farr sexual intimacy? C'mon, man. Even if you can buy the idea that an entire species only has sex every seven years or so, are you really gonna tell me two different Human women stayed married to Sarek when he would be unable or unwilling to express sexual intimacy except every seven years?

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    No way Sarek didn't hit that every few weeks or so. I mean, I'm a nerd who loves imaginary realities but come on. I'm not living in a fantasy world. :p