Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x07 - "The Serene Squall"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Jun 15, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

19.6%
  2. 9

23.9%
  3. 8

24.4%
  4. 7

15.8%
  5. 6

5.7%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

True, it should be a show with mainly Chinese, Indian and African humans, if you want to represent Earth's population. But I bet you are not thinking of them.

2. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Maybe Vulcans go through a second puberty or something at a certain age which drives them nuts. Sort of like midlife crisis. Instead of bulking up at the gym and upgrading cars, they simply shout and smash until they get their own way.

;) Your secret is safe with me.

3. Captain Jollydark

Captain Jollydark Captain Captain

Oh. Um...I was pointing out that she made a choice on the fly based on optimal outcomes beneficial to her - suggesting she maybe didn't want Spock to die either and took the opportunity presented. KIRK. Which by Spock's own admission was flawlessly logical. Don't think I ever asserted it to be a moral or ethical choice. Only that it served her purpose which, I was suggesting was to prevent either of the Vulcan men from dying.

Did that indicate a ruthless disregard for the human's life? Yup. Was it ethically questionable? Yeah. Was it immoral? To me, sure. Maybe even by Vulcan standards. I was only suggesting, in my apparently confusing manner, that she maybe still harbored some feelings for him.

Also she could get all his stuff no matter how it turned out. ;)

You'd think a bunch of smart logical people would have come up with a better solution for divorce. Like why was that the only way for her to divorce him at that point when we see in this latest episode she could call it off at anytime. Again, looking forward to seeing the hows and wherefores of this fascinating relationship.

DEWLine and Jack Wolfe like this.
  4. IMC Headquarters

Sybok and Spock will be as Tom and John Barnaby in their demeanor.

Or maybe J.R. and Bobby Ewing...

I dunno. It's gonna be a lot of fun, however!

5. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

We've already covered that. See my earlier response.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Nope. Better than most post-TOS Trek.

Mr. Nova, GNDN18 and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just occurred to me that T'Pring has a massive conflict of interest in being Sybok's jailer. She ultimately benefits from keeping him in prisoner status. Sybok might be due an inheritance from Sarek that due to his imprisonment would now go to Spock. As Spock's future wife, T'Pring would share in whatever Spock inherits. Logically she would have no interest in Sybok being "rehabilitated" or whatever any time soon.

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Based off what we've seen with both Spock and Michael, Sybok probably rejected logic pretty early and it's probably in reaction to Sarek. Michael traumatized herself trying to please him, Spock didn't speak to him for years, and Sybok is a criminal turned cult leader.

Just looking at Spock and Michael who both seem like they had to prove themselves to him. Michael suppressing her emotions and trauma to point she tried to mutiny. Spock being half human has felt that he had to repress this side of him and make himself more Vulcan than even other Vulcans to compensate for what his father has treated as a disability. Both are able to recover from this, Burnham by no longer suppressing her emotions and beginning to recover from her trauma with Spock finding a place where he can himself and not have to be anything other than Spock.

But Sybok got none of that. He rejected emotions, seemingly went wild with it, hooked up with a space pirate, and ended up in Vulcan jail. Eventually he ends up stealing a starship to go meet God. Sarek is a terrible father, probably even by Vulcan standards judging about how much Tuvok clearly loved his kids despite being separated from them and seemed great with kids. Spock and Michael probably would've ended up like Sybok if not for Amanda and ending up in Starfleet.

ToddCam, Nyotarules and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That space pirate captain chick was sexy as hell. She can take over my ship anytime! :luvlove:

When we see Sybok again in a future episode, I wonder if he will start seeing visions from "God" which would start his eventual road to his religious crusade in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  10. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If SNW goes with the one-season-is-one-year convention, we're due for a Pon Farr in season two. It would track if that was some kind of level-up year with a ceremony that moves T'Pring into that "more than a fiancee, almost a wife" status.

Mr Awe likes this.
  11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Sarek has got to be one of the most dysfunctional parents on Vulcan. When Spock is the most well-adjusted and uncontroversial of your three kids that's saying a lot about how you've routinely failed to be a proper father.

Mr. Nova, Sci, Jack Wolfe and 6 others like this.
  12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Sarek's a perennial finalist in the "Father of The Year" competition, along with Anakin Skywalker.

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

But the Pon Farr in TOS was Spock‘s first. Didn’t he say, he hoped he might skip it due to his human heritage?

14. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

Pike is a delight!
    La'an is not a good chief of security...
    Do Enterprise has a a crew of 50 people or so?

I am tired of Spock. I am not sure why this version of Spock has started to annoy me.. Is it the script? Is too much Spock? Is it the actor?
    Also the whole T-Pring overdose must end. There is nothing interesting in this, especially if you know what happened in TOS with those 2.
    This is why I do not like prequels, cause the writers think they do fan service to over-analyze or try to explore more situations that we know already happened.

At this point I wouldn't mind having this show with only Pike, Ortegas and a bit of Uhura.

15. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(Sybok is shaking, skin cracking and flaking badly.)

Sybok: What's the matter, T'Pring? Aren't you enjoying yourself?

T'Pring: There's no pleasure in this for me, Sybok, I assure you. I am simply doing my job.

Sybok: Your job. Yes, this job must fill you with pride.

T'Pring: Sybok, just tell me your secret of intergalactic warp propulsion and this will end. How can we get to the center of galaxy within days?

Sybok: But you don't want it to end, do you, T'Pring? Isn't this what you've been dreaming of? Serving Vulcan.

T'Pring: That's right. And you have information that I need. Information that it's my duty to extract from you. It's not personal. Sybok, talk to me. Tell me something. Anything! Lie if you have to, but say it now. Please.

Sybok: Home. I want to go home.

T'Pring: And you will, I promise. As soon as this is all over, I promise I'll take you back to Vulcan.

Sybok: No, not the desert. Home with my god.

T'Pring: Your god?

Sybok: I tried to deny him, I tried to forget, but I can't. He's my god and I want to be with him in Sha Ka Ree!

T'Pring: I knew there was something, a secret you were holding back.

Sybok: And now you've found it. I hope it's useful.

(T'Pring turns off the delta radiation emitter and Sybok collapses unconscious. T'Pring puts her head in her hands.)

The Rock and cooleddie74 like this.
  16. IMC Headquarters

Maybe Future Pike, remembering this incident, was flashing "Arrr!" to give the order to Spock to take over the Enterprise to transport him to Talos IV...

Yes, I hope he was laughing inside.

Skellington likes this.
  17. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

My problem with the character was that the actor played the character with too much camp. I prefer my villains to be a bit more serious about their business. In fact, a better reveal for me would have been that "Dr. Aspden" and "Angel" were one and the same, and that "Dr. Aspden", at some point decided to go rogue, either because of disillusionment with the Federation, a tragedy or something, before ending up *their* own thing. Whether or not Sybok has anything to do with this change is immaterial, but I would rather have the character stand on *their* own in a unique way, IMO.

18. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even DC Fontana said that wasn't the case. They have to do it every 7 years, they can also do it any other time. There's also an audio where Roddenberry interviews Sarek (Mark Lenard in character) and they say the same thing.

He said he hoped he might be spared. Doesn't say why. But I can't see any other interpretation of the line other than it's his first, and probably late at that.

Sci likes this.
  19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

OTOH, Spock explicitly mentions Vulcan's aggressive colonizing period. While the Vulcans of Archer's time may have scaled things back, adapting the "Prime Directive" approach in keeping with Surakian philosophies, the older colonies would still be there.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Also, Chapel and McCoy seem clueless about what he's going through at the beginning of "Amok Time," which is a bit odd if Chapel has seen him go through a previous pon farr cycle. She should be like: "oh, right, it's been seven years. It's his Vulcan mating fever."

Jedi Marso and Timofnine like this.