Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x07 - "The Serene Squall"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Jun 15, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

19.6%
  2. 9

23.9%
  3. 8

24.4%
  4. 7

15.8%
  5. 6

5.7%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This gives me flashbacks to Mr. Peanutbutter on "Bojack Horseman"...

"Why do all these idealistic, vivacious women turn bitter and cruel after being with me? What's the common denominator?!?!?"

2. Mr. Nova

Mr. Nova Commander Red Shirt

I still think the thing that doesn't click too well is that the Enterprise is still sticking too close to home. The idea that they are not allowed to leave Federation space without permission flies in the face of the mission to explore. Much of the drama and tension of TOS was the fact that they couldn't phone home for help every time they got in trouble because they were actually out there looking for new worlds and civilizations. It's hard to go where no one has gone before if you stay in your own back yard. Still enjoying the show immensely, though, and thought this one was one of the better ones, just from an action/adventure standpoint.

Belz... likes this.
  3. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As someone who had trouble getting dates, has no criminal record, don't drink, smoke, or do bad things, have a high salary, am told by multiple managers that everyone likes me, I bluntly think it's unfair to imply wrongdoing on a person who struggles in the dating world when there is no hard evidence of it. Some people just don't easily fit what a lot of people want as far as perceptions of masculinity, and that's not a crime.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode. The production is solid, writing is solid. They are knocking it out of the park every week.

But casting a green guy as an Irish pirate......

nightwind1 likes this.
  5. Sakonna

I don't really see the connection to my comment? We're joking about characters who are never without partners or drowning in interested suitors, not commenting on those that struggle to find mates.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Orions have been pirates for a while now...

...and it's not easy being green.

nightwind1 and Amaris like this.
  7. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

You, for whatever reason, latched on to the first bit and completely ignored the thrust of my argument. I have bolded and underlined the salient portion of my original post for your reading convenience.

8. Vale

Vale Guest

For me, the only downside of Picard is that it means I have to admit Nemesis took place... before Picard I was able to ignore its existence and strike it from my personal headcanon. Now Strange New Worlds is requiring me to do the same with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier... :rolleyes:

Jedi Marso, Jack Wolfe and Sakonna like this.
  9. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised that of the many, many Romulans that Picard meets in his show not a single one of them looks at him in confusion and says, "Praetor Shinzon?"

10. Captain Jollydark

Captain Jollydark Captain Captain

I never implied it was morally better! And from where we stand now in the series it's hard to believe T'Pring could ever wish Spock dead. I only meant that she took the opportunity presented to her in Amok Time and made a decision (perfectly logical by her metrics) to use Kirk so that neither Vulcan would die. Of course we're all fan-projecting here. When the episode was written nobody cared about the woman's perspective or position or what may have driven her to such drastic choices. She was the cold-hearted plot device who wouldn't have sex with our suffering hero. I'm looking forward to seeing why and how it all falls apart to the point that they're inexorably tied to each other in a "sex or die" scenario.

I got a little choked up when it looked like they were breaking things off.

DEWLine and Charles Phipps like this.
  11. Captain Jollydark

Captain Jollydark Captain Captain

You don't know Mr. Peanutbuttter then. :)

Sakonna likes this.
  12. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Point of order, being called a boy scout, in temperament, is different from actually being in the Boy Scouts. Like Superman's nickname "Big Blue Boy Scout" is independent of whether or not Clark was actually a Scout.

They were using stun, every crewman killed is one less they have to sell.

13. Vale

Vale Guest

I'm not, they looked nothing like each other ;)

Yistaan likes this.
  14. Sakonna

...and they'll stay that was for another 115-ish years or so.

Tendi, 121 in-universe years later:
    "And for your information, many Orions haven't been pirates for over FIVE years!"

I love that joke. I am so glad we finally have an Orion regular on one of these shows. :bolian:

nightwind1, ToddCam and Amaris like this.
  15. Vale

Vale Guest

Maybe piracy to the Orions is a bit like their equivalent of pon farr... every few years they are biologically compelled to go on a pillage or two.

Nyotarules, ToddCam and Sakonna like this.
  16. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I point out that Kirk voluntarily chose to be involved in this. Well, semi-voluntarily.

Alternate timeline or not, I choose to believe Tendi is related to Galia.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

TFF has lots of problems. Sybok was not one of them for me. We have 4 seasons of Spock's sister. I'm more cool with Sybok.

Turtletrekker and Rahul like this.
  18. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

But Una said that it was on Pike’s personal file? :shrug:

19. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but Pike didn't knew that.
    I think having a violent take-over NOT killing anyone at all is the more outlandish guess, even if taking prisoners was part of the plan.

Also, does anyone else find it weird that the bad guys shoot to stun, and it's the heroes that shoot to kill?

Anyway - it now being a few more hours since I watched it, the better it becomes in memory. It's still missing that special spark or bite. But the visuals were nice, and the character work great.

20. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The good thing about Sybok is - his story is pretty much a blank slate!
    SNW can have a full fledged arc & character development - that can end anywhere from Spock & Sybok parting as bitter enemies, or with new found respect and friendship for each other. The only thing that's set in stone is that they seperate at the end and are not 100% ideologically aligned.

DEWLine, Turtletrekker, Saul and 2 others like this.