Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x01 - "Brother"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 16, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Boo-ya! DISCO is back in style!

30.8%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

21.3%
  4. 7

9.8%
  5. 6

6.0%
  6. 5

3.5%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1 - Ugh! Stick a pike in it!

0.6%
  1. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I do not know of a historical navy which would sit out one of its vital assets in a time of war.

Exactly, how far out was the Enterprise from Federation space? The war lasted over 3/4 of a year, giving the ship plenty of time to return.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If they traveled a straight line, the five year mission would take them two-and-a-half years away from Earth before turning around and taking two-and-a-half years to get back.

If it wasn't a straight line, but they traveled a year out and then spent three year exploring a circumference before spending the last year heading back, then they'd still be pretty far out.

It depends on where this particular five-year mission would've taken the Enterprise.

Grendelsbayne, SolarisOne and Amaris like this.
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Far enough apparently.

Ovation, Amaris and Lord Garth like this.
  4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus, as the movies progressed, Pine took on more of Kirk's confidence and consideration. It wasn't enough to swagger into every situation, and Pine's Kirk in Beyond knows this. One reason why I was hoping for a fourth film was that we'd see the end result of that.

MakeshiftPython likes this.
  5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starfleet KNEW if they put Picard in the fight with the 1701-E they'd LOOSE the ship, aas he'd first go in with Shields down and try to broker a peace agreement; wouldn't put the shields up until the 1701-E was damaged and he had casualties; and would respond with warning shots and weapons set at 50% power because he KNEW he'd be able to get thenm to listen to reason (even as his hip was bursting into flames around him...

[See TNG eps. - "The Battle", "Q-Who", "Best of Both Worlds" and "The Wounded" if you think my assessment of how Picard fights in a ship to ship firefight is in error. :rommie:

So, they figured they'd keep him out of it and save ONE ship (which they'd turn over the Captain Jellico if it were one of the last one's left and let Jellico go win the war his way.) ;)

Nyotarules, Vger23, Ovation and 2 others like this.
  6. Lord Garth

When Burnham stares at the Red Angel towards the end of the episode, I think she and Spock have seen them before. I'll also go so far as to say I think they disagree about what the Red Angels represent. "This means something", to quote Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I think it means different things to them. Just speculating.

saddestmoon likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well from the pre-release trailers

She said when she saw it that she felt an overwhelming feeling that everything would be alright. I think that's what the expression was.

Also we know Spock has seen them before because of the trailers as well

saddestmoon and Lord Garth like this.
  8. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

Yes. My pain comes from the fact that there's actually a great movie in Star Trek V that was lost to executive meddling, poor script writing, and a variety of other unfortunate circumstances. :(

Hythlodeus, SJGardner, Vger23 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lord Garth

The orange tone of Spock's quarters is reminiscent of orange/brown of Sarek's family's residence on Vulcan. The set design really makes the quarters feel like it's Vulcan.

The Stardate on Spock's recording is 1979.3528. Personally, I get a kick out of the 1979. :p

And I like the new closing music.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope he's wrong...

TNG wasn't 100% adherent to TOS canon and TNG spinoffs ditched canon as well,but some of his points are disheartening.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wow. I’ll give him credit for making hyperbole funny. I stopped watching after the fourth poop joke. Which was about 5 minutes in.

12. Tuskin38

Why would you watch that filth?

MSPpete, BeatleJWOL, Pindar and 4 others like this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

In the shuttlebay obviously. Not in the turolift shaft where they obviously shouldn’t be able to fit.

14. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They also didn't have forehead ridges. :beer:

Hythlodeus and Amaris like this.
  15. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

They’ve explained that. Some Romulans don’t have the ridges. Hence why Spock managed to live with them for many years.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Or shoulder pads

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's lucky there weren't ruffles. That would have been a dead giveaway.

18. Tuskin38

You can see workerbee docks on the inside of Discovery's shuttlebay actually.

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't asking why. I was expressing my displeasure that they added them in the first place. :rommie:

Hythlodeus likes this.
  20. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Look out people, “Doomcock” said bad things about DIS.:eek: