Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x01 - "Brother"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 16, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Boo-ya! DISCO is back in style!

30.8%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

21.3%
  4. 7

9.8%
  5. 6

6.0%
  6. 5

3.5%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1 - Ugh! Stick a pike in it!

0.6%
  1. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Oh is that who he is, I was wondering who everyone was talking about I had never heard of him before.

SolarisOne likes this.
  2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Bill, that ruins his narrative of DISCOVERY getting worse, because you're not supposed to acknowledge a series you hate having an uptick.

Turtletrekker and SolarisOne like this.
  3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Nothing like Speed Of Plot. During TOS, looking at how the episodes are spaced out, I think the Enterprise was never more than six months away from Earth, Vulcan, or the Neutral Zone. Assuming it even made it that far.

"Balance of Terror" --> Early-ish in S1 --> The Neutral Zone
    "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" --> Middle of S1 --> Earth
    "Amok Time" --> Beginning of S2 --> Vulcan
    "The Deadly Years" --> Middle of S2 --> The Neutral Zone
    "Assignment: Earth" --> End of S2 --> Earth
    "The Enterprise Incident" --> Early in S3 --> The Neutral Zone

So, yeah, the five-year mission of "to boldly go where no man has gone before" meant about as much in TOS as "to boldly go where no one has gone before" meant in TNG. It was just a slogan. They were always nearby.

And Earth in Star Trek must be close to one end of the galaxy if "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "By Any Other Name" are anything to go by. :p

With Pike's five-year mission, other than "The Cage", I think the writers have a second chance to make a five-year mission go the way you'd think it would go in theory.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Nyotarules, Amaris and oberth like this.
  4. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    We know from one of the trailers that the Discovery will be meeting up with a "random" Section-31 ship (and Emperor Georgieu) in a future episode.
    :cool:

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ypou got that it TWO episode - the last episode of S1 and the first episode of S2. ;) (Plus the 3 ships towing the 1701 when the Discovery came back to drop Pike off and Command said: "Hey, the 1701 is screwed; stay in Command of Discovery and get to the bottom of this..." ;)

To be fair, in "Balance of Terror" the Neutral Zone was supposed to be FAR OFF (Remember that Rand said it would be 3 hours before a subspace transmission - which is faster than a ship at max warp - will reach the nearest Command Base for a reply). But yeah, TOS was always 'at the speed of plot' - and it was intimated they could fly across the entire Galaxy in a few months many times.

Thus for ST: D S1 - the 1701 was WAAAAY out there - and too far to be able to return in a timeframe Starfleet Command believed would matter.

Lord Garth likes this.
  6. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Nah speed of plot will win every time, the writers cannot even keep a secret organisation, secret. Hello, Section 31, how you doing?
    It does make sense that Romulus is near to Vulcan since their ancestors came from there, it would have taken decades by sublight speed, so lets say it took 50 Earth years to get from the Vulcan system to the Romulus system which is on average 1 generation for a Vulcanoid? So with warp ships, the same distance you can get there between breakfast and teatime. 24th century Selar was planning to invade Vulcan, so it must be next door...right? (Or maybe she knew a shortcut across the quadrant...hello transwarp beaming)

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It could still go downhill, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

MakeshiftPython and Gonzo like this.
  8. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Boldly go.

Nyotarules likes this.
  9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    ... wherever they were?
    :eek:

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Sounds like some folks here need some...

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That just made my day.

Thanks, eddie. :techman:

cooleddie74 likes this.
  12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty neat edit, to be honest... and now I want to see a video for the second season credits with the same song.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    You're welcome, CorporalClegg!

It always makes me smile. It's eerie how well the ENT theme and the opening credits of DSC go together and if they used the song for the new series it would fit almost like a glove. :p

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Which makes me extremely happy as both a DSC and ENT fan (DSC is my #1 favorite Trek series and slots it at #4)

cooleddie74 likes this.
  15. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

Wow, that mashup actually made me tear up a little. ENT really grew on me when I rewatched it last year. And I actually *gasp* like the original credits. Didn't like the weird acoustic version they introduced later. Yes it was dated and totally different from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY credits. But that's okay. I'm pretty easy to please, though, and can understand why others don't like the ENT credits or DISCO's.

My son and I think the current Discovery credits are awesome. We can sing the main part on cue. It's pretty emotionally epic and we do it for a laugh. My hubby and I do the same thing for the GoT credits, although we always use the "Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage..." version.

I do agree, however, with the person who commented that the credits could be better with the Discovery ship becoming a real ship as it warps out in the final part of the credits. From plans to reality, warping into a real star field. That'd rock, imo.

DaveyNY and cooleddie74 like this.
  16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best thing is this is only part one of his review of the first episode!

Seriously though. Dude is an annoying canon purist, but some of the stuff did make me LOL.

SolarisOne likes this.
  17. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL... There's a part of me that wants to go on a profanity-laced response to such a statement, but my better angels are suggesting another course of action and that's just to shake my head and walk away.

Ya know, just like with Star Wars, I get the perspective of some to have an unbridled devotion to what's come before, but as I get older, I just care less about such things. I used to care. But today, I watch things for one purpose: to be entertained. It's not a perfect show BY ANY STRETCH, but I enjoy Disco and am entertained. I just don't particularly care that in Episode 88 of TNG, Geordi used the flux coupler doohicky in order to uncouple the transparent aluminum warp dilithium matrix whatchamacallit and Stamets and Tilly TOTALLY went a different way with it, and it screws with established canon. I'm about to turn 40, am married, am about to have my first kid and am getting my masters. I may pop in here to read and comment on occasion, but, in my opinion, I really have more important things to do than worry about all of that. But hey, to each his own, I suppose.

Ovation, Vger23, fireproof78 and 5 others like this.
  18. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

This is way too sensible. CBS must have paid you.

19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

How’d you know? :p

MakeshiftPython likes this.
  20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Needs more gazelle.

Pindar, cooleddie74, Gonzo and 2 others like this.