News Kurtzman’s contract extended

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tuskin38, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Mogh

Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Either would apply. I'm certain there must have been some scenes without any of the three (maybe Mary Wiseman was doing the emoting instead?).

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh wow, a complaint about too much crying on Disco. Hot take.

Sci, antinoos, Tomalak and 5 others like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

99.9% of the series?

Quinton likes this.
  4. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which what? Characters I engaged with in Kurtzman's era or Berman's era?

6. Mogh

Berman's; you'd said most were unappealing save for one or two exceptions?

7. fireproof78

Sisko, Bashir and Ro. Tom Paris sometimes and Torres occasionally.

Quinton and Mogh like this.
  8. Mogh

Paris and Torres are interesting choices; certainly often finishing well behind the easy fan favourites of Janeway and Seven. Is it their troubled less-than-perfect histories you find appealing?

Quinton likes this.
  9. fireproof78

No, they just feel more real.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I liked Paris but he's far from the most realistic of characters. He's probably the biggest Mary Sue candidate other than Wesley in the entire franchise, and swings wildly between overachieving nerd and rebellious bad boy.

The most realistic Voyager character is probably the most boring one, the Eternal Ensign.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Reality must suck.

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Have you ever been promoted for being quietly competent?

Mogh likes this.
  13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's pretty much my brand.

14. fireproof78

That's not realistic.
    Yes.

15. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My point is that in virtually every job you get there is always a dose of "luck". We do not live in a universe where personal interactions are commanded by Newtonian mechanics. I don't understand the need to point this out in this case.

JoaquinSlowly and Sci like this.
  16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh hey, a nominal Star Trek fan whose fandom is actually about using ST as a way to make themselves feel superior to others on the basis of the idea of fandom as a form of exclusivity. There but for the grace of God go I.

"Movie to movie?" There haven't been any new ST movies in the modern era of Trek. Star Trek Beyond premiered over a year before DIS S1.

Couple of times. Arguably ENT did it first, in that scene where Trip has to climb robe from Columbia to Enterprise while they're both at warp. But to me, that seems like the sort of thing where you might as well complain about seeing shuttlecraft fly and make sudden turns at high speeds: Since it's do-able on a TV budget now, they're going to periodically pull tricks like that for spectacle. No different from doing crazy shuttle piloting or spaceship battles.

It's fair to say that PIC S1 (not 2) featuring an apparently antagonistic super-A.I. came too soon after DIS S2's Control, but it's really not fair to say that PIC S1 "focused" on the super-A.I. It was one element that didn't appear and was not referenced until the finale. The focus was much more on Picard's relationships as he tried to make amends for his self-imposed exile.

The only part of this claim that makes any sense to me is Seven appearing in PIC S1.

"Crying, whooping, and screaming through every scene" is just pure bullshit. Sonequa Martin-Green is an amazing actor who has figured out how to depict a character who went from repressing almost all her emotions under Vulcan teaching to learning to open up, express herself, heal from childhood trauma, and become a leader.

And quite frankly, I'm getting damn tired of seeing the same charge of over-acting leveled against black actors (Avery Brooks, anyone?) for making the kinds of acting choices that white performers make on a regular basis without such claims.

17. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's with all the sudden replies & quotes of convos from months ago? I have a bunch of them in my notifications. @1001001 (sorry, picked a mod randomly) is this happening to lots of people? Is their some rule against dredging up long dead stuff?

Mogh likes this.
  18. Mogh

Alright Mr Kurtzman, you can drop the pseudonym :D

I'll ignore the usual stuck-up nerd rudeness up and until the part where I think you pretty much accused me of racism, which I doubt is permissible here and certainly not on a heady mix of inductive reasoning and a dearth of evidence. Care to retract?

As you broached the topic, Star Trek has had tremendous actors of all ethnicities and genders. Sonequa Martin-Green is not one of them. Neither is Mary Wiseman, for that matter. Find me a regular Starfleet officer as hysterical and childish as either, and I'll reconsider.

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

No. 25 seasons of Rick Berman was enough. It was passed time for him to go. Eventually that time will come for Alex Kurtzman too... just not right now. ;)

Anyway, it's not really the person up at very top who truly makes the show, it's the showrunner. What's wrong with the way Michelle Paradise does things? #next_level

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Mogh, Tim Thomason and ozzfloyd like this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

BTW, guys, I've known @Mogh a long time. He's okay. If I say he's jake, he's jake. We just disagree about Disco.

Mogh likes this.