News Kurtzman’s contract extended

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tuskin38, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So you cherry picked his failures, proving what? The he has failures?
    I don’t think CBS is rewarding him for his movie career or His non Trek TV. So, I wonder what they like? What could it be? Gee, I’m stumped.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Char Kais

Char Kais Commander Red Shirt

I did not cherry-pick his failures. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and "The Mummy 2017" are the last two movies he wrote, and I mentioned all three TV shows Secret Hideout made for CBS TV:
    Salvation
    Instinct
    Clarice
    They are all failures. That's not an opinion, we know the Nielsen rating for all three shows and two shows are canceled.

Delta1 and Brolan like this.
  3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I don't speak for anyone else, but I think the point is that none of that is relevant to the main story.

Kurtzman is being rewarded for doing Star Trek, nothing else. Maybe this is his niche?

Think of it this way (my humble opinion, of course): Rian Johnson shit the bed with The Last Jedi, and then made one of the best movies in decades (Knives Out).

Sometimes people just have to find their place in the world.

Jarvisimo, PT109, saddestmoon and 3 others like this.
  4. ThrorII

ThrorII Lieutenant Red Shirt

Apparently making content NOBODY likes.....based on the number of cancellations and hate STD and PIC get.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't confuse a few people whining on the Internet for an actual trend.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's still a cherry-pick because that's not all he's done. DISCO and Picard are why his contract was extended. That's pretty obvious.
    I barely remember the first and never watched the last two. They didn't look good.

Not something Paramount/CBS seems to cares about. Their return on investment for his Star Trek product must be satisfactory to counterbalance whiners on the internet and the failure of other products.

saddestmoon, Sci and fireproof78 like this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The cancellations and hate obviously don't affect the profitability of the Star Trek franchise on his watch. Which is why he was extended to 2026. So don't buy into people's assertions that he is about to get fired and everybody hates his work. I'm not a fan of Discovery or Picard, but I am one person. Though I do love Lower Decks.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. Regardless of personal opinion of the work he is being rewarded for doing something successfully which means the product has enough react and appeal to satisfy CBS. Regardless of the Internet, Kurtzman is succeeding.

Jarvisimo, Skipper, Sci and 1 other person like this.
  9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Gosh, it's as if the haters aren't nearly as numerous and powerful as they thought.

Jarvisimo, Masiral, Vger23 and 7 others like this.
  10. fireproof78

You mean the Internet lied!???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The vocal minority hate DSC and PIC.
    It clearly has enough fans to be profitable, or else the shows would have been cancelled.

12. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Paramount/CBS are clearly approving of Alex's work so far, and the future roadmap. I told him in person a couple years ago that the streaming Trek started out well and I really liked the "style" they were going with. I stand by that. I found Discover/Picard to be a good watch. True it may not be like the 90s shows, but it's not supposed to be. It's a different format.

13. Char Kais

Char Kais Commander Red Shirt

I find the deification of corporations misguided. This notion that "corporations don't make wrong decisions", "corporations always know their business", and "ViacomCBS made decision X, so it has to be the right decision" wrong.
    Corporations constantly make wrong business decisions. Corporations constantly misjudge the marketplace and customer demand.

And ViacomCBS made many bad business decisions in the past.
    ViacomCBS is in trouble.

Multiple news outlets did report about a ViacomCBS/Comcast merger/partnership:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comcas...-to-discuss-streaming-partnership-11626743478
    https://deadline.com/2021/07/comcast-viacomcbs-lionsgate-media-mergers-earnings-1234794833/
    https://nypost.com/2021/07/17/amid-mega-mergers-and-acquisitions-viacomcbs-may-be-in-play/
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/com...ider-partnership-to-bolster-streaming-tv.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnch...ors-said-to-include-talk-of-something-bigger/

http://www.nickalive.net/2020/12/nickelodeon-takes-ratings-hit-in-2020.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Delta1 and Mogh like this.
  14. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Most unfortunate.

Star Trek should have stayed dead

Mogh likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

No one here is doing that though.

You must be a joy at parties. Let people enjoy what they want, don't wish for someone else's fun to go away.

16. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

You're pretty rude mate. If you don't like what I have to say, block and move on with your life.

Mogh likes this.
  17. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure they do.

They are nonetheless in the business of making these decisions, and do so with the benefit of a hell of a lot more data than outsiders are privy to.

I'd certainly place more faith in the position they reach than that of people who are not on the inside and are dedicated to one-eyed criticism of the current shows.

BillJ and Skipper like this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just for the sake of curiosity I checked on Midnight's Edge if he had commented the news (obviously I didn't click on the actual video, I'm not interested in what he has to say and I don't want to give him more views).
    [​IMG]
    An almost three hour video? Even if he does it just for the views, it's not sane. This guy has serious issues.

You know, I tend to take with a pinch of salt the opinion of someone who thinks it's witty to call a television series as a venereal disease. But it's just me.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Vger23, Sci and antinoos like this.
  19. Tuskin38

I wasn’t being rude but ok.

Sci and Skipper like this.
  20. fireproof78

Why is that?