News Kurtzman’s contract extended

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tuskin38, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because he doesn't want people who like the new ST to have fun? If he doesn't enjoy it, nobody is allowed to?

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would like them to speak for themselves. Genuinely curious as to the perspective that if Star Trek "remained dead" what that would mean, vs. if someone just ignores the current output, while allowing others to enjoy it.

I say this a lot, but I don't like TNG but I don't demand it stop existing. I certainly could though. I might make more friends ;)

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No one has deified any corporation or claimed that Paramount/CBS doesn't make mistakes. Promoting Kurtzman may blow up their faces someday. But as of this moment they like what he's done with Star Trek and he has been rewarded for it. It's really that simple. All the links in the world and three hour YouTube rants won't change that fact. He's not "falling up".

4. fireproof78

Exactly. Whether people agree with CBS or not they are clearly satisfied with the current output, and success of Kurtzman's work to the point that they keep him on rather than moving him to a position of less influence. Whether or not that is the right decision will be born out over time.

5. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have an idea! Why do all these people who can understand so brilliantly where a corporation is going wrong don't make a corporation themselves?

PROFIT!

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I never quite understood the "I wish modern Trek didn't exist" crowd.

Does everyone love it? Clearly not. Do I love everything about it? No. Do I wish it could be better/more to my taste? Sure!

But the best way of getting better Trek is having Trek in the first place and building an audience. Perhaps it makes me a "corporate shill" but I'll take anything Alex Kurtzman can shit out than nothing at all. :lol:

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Deification? No. Extending Kurtzman is Viacom’s call to make. They must have some reason for keeping him around, and it is likely the financials of the current product.

Then just don’t watch it, and it is as good as dead for you.

fireproof78 and Tomalak like this.
  8. fireproof78

Same.

But, more and more what I tend to see is this idea that Star Trek used to be special and now it isn't because it is a corporate product, ignoring of course all the times it was completely a product and designed to entertain and make money.

Commander Troi, Sci and Tomalak like this.
  9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A corporation's first priority is to make money. Kurtzman's Star Trek is clearly making them money, otherwise they would not put a deal in place to keep Kurtzman around for the next five years if the previous four years his Star Trek shows have been on weren't profitable.

Now you clearly don't like Kurtzman, and he is hedonistic, but your opinion of the man and his hedonism are not factors Viacom/CBS/Paramount/Whoever considers when making their decisions.

Skipper, BillJ and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Tomalak

No way, Gene was definitely doing it entirely selflessly and absolutely didn't try to profit from his "vision". ;)

11. BillJ

I'm pretty indifferent to most of his output. Viacom sees things differently. Life goes on.

Unless he is hurting someone, this isn't anyone's damned business but his.

12. The Wormhole

He's hurting Gene's Vision! Won't someone please think of Gene's Vision?!

( ;) )

13. fireproof78

Tomalak is...

Tomalak likes this.
  14. BillJ

If Kurtzman is indeed hedonistic, he might be the Great Bird reincarnated! :rofl:

Commander Troi and The Wormhole like this.
  15. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woah, woah, woah, are we saying that Alex Kurtzman, of all people, is hedonistic? This is the first I've heard about it. He seems kind of milquetoast, what with his long-term marriage (almost 20 years!) and general non-dramatic private life.

He's got a lot of catching up to do if he wants to reach the hedonistic levels of previous Star Trek showrunners.

16. The Wormhole

You didn't hear? Him, Abrams and Orci are a clique of raging hedonists, always lying on sofas shirtless while servants drop grapes into their mouths during their meetings on how to ruin Star Trek and enrage The Fans.

This is who we just turned the franchise over to for the next five years! Oh, the humanity!

NOVE9, Commander Troi, Vger23 and 3 others like this.
  17. Tomalak

I think all ties with Orci have been severed! He may not be a hedonist, but he sure is a crank.

18. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow I missed out on a lot of classic Star Trek internet fun here I see.

Bummer. It would have been glorious.

Mogh and The Wormhole like this.
  19. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My biggest issue with NuTrek is that it's so repetitive. I mean, sure, most of old Trek, was episodic, but NuTrek was supposed to be, well, new, and yet they are already reusing the same action scenes and plotlines movie to movie, series to series (How many times have we seen main characters jump through space now? Disco season 2 and Picard Season 2 both focused on evil AI, small universe syndrome in spades, etc.).

I'd have liked someone knew brought in to try and switch that up but whatever. It's still fine to watch.

I think Kurtzman just lucked into this job. Orci was supposed to take over Bad Robot Trek, then got fired, and Fuller was supposed to do TV Trek, then got fired. Kurtzman was last man standing:shrug:

Speaking of Orci, looks like he hasn't been doing anything since. Probably a good thing. I can only imagine what his Covid opinions are, considering his conspiracy theory insanity.

20. The Wormhole

I'll admit, it would be nice if they could go at least one season of any show without dealing with the galactic apocalypse. Maybe SNW?

PT109 likes this.