Favorite AND least Favorite Female Character?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by UnipolarUnicorn, Sep 3, 2018.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I didn't particularly care for the character that much, I just don't think she should be considered a "terrorist".

:)

Grendelsbayne and TribbleFeeder like this.
  2. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

I agree, I wouldn’t say terrorist either, especially since it was pretty much during a war/occupation and mostly against the military.

She did do some things in an effort to stop the Cardassians that were questionable though. There were parts of “Duet” that called her actions into question and kind of made it hard for me not to dislike her more. Things get blurry during a war and I understand that sometimes the lives of a few can save thousands, it was just sad that it was civilians.

That’s not why I didn’t like her though, she just wasn’t appealing to me in general. I can’t even really put my finger on why.

1001001 likes this.
  3. WinterSoldier

WinterSoldier Lieutenant Red Shirt

Favourite - Jadzia Dax or Kira Nerys
    I really like the concept of Jadzia but I think they dropped the ball with her a bit. Kira has a more well-rounded character and understandable motivations.

Least Favourite - ...
    As a concept: Seven of Nine. I liked the whole part-human part-Borg thing, that was really interesting - however, I couldn't help but feel Seven of Nine was mostly there to be 'eye candy' and fulfill a "sexy robot lady" fantasy.

Kilana2 likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While she was very clearly made to look that way visually, the character was clearly asexual (until "Unimatrix Zero")

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

That doesn't oppose the fact that she was mostly there as eye candy. Plus she was clearly there to fulfill all sorts of fantasies. Remember how fast she told Harry to drop trou after he showed the slightest interest in her.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was purely from curiousity and trying to do what she thought was expected of her. She never made another such offer once she better understood people and her place.

7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I wasn't referring to the in-universe explanation.

8. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Seven, but it is mostly because of the Voyager novels where she received more development. I have the eye-candy feeling about T'Pol. And I'm not fond of the actress who played T'Pol.

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Seven was played by a better actress than T'Pol's.

eschaton, Kilana2 and Admiral2 like this.
  10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorites:
    Beverly Crusher
    Saavik (Robin Curtis version)
    Jadzia and Ezri Dax

Least favorites:
    Laxwana Troi
    Kate Pulaski

Kilana2 likes this.
  11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. she was a freedom fighter. The Cardassians were the terrorists.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are many good characters, but if I have to choose one, I'd say Jadzia Dax. A really great way to do an old and wise character while at the same time being fun and easygoing.

A honorary mention: Captain Georgiou. It is funny how much I can like a character based on such a short appearance. I'd have loved a series with her as regular captain. Alas, we got a cartoony evil doppelgänger version of her instead...

And whilst I don't want to name least favourite, I have to say I'm quite surprised how many people seem to like Kira. I thought she was very one-note, and the romance between her and Odo was probably the most painful thing to watch in the entire Star Trek. It was so awkward, though of course most of this was because Odo was such an obsessive creep. Still, I disliked it greatly, I'd watch Lwaxana episodes over their romance episodes any day, hell, I'd rather even watch Voyager!

13. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The former were trained by the CIA, Kira was trained by her own people.

14. marlboro

marlboro Guest

She also got much much better scripts than the actress who played T'pol. I think Jolene Blalock improved as the series progressed. I give her credit for sticking with a thankless (and sometimes demeaning, imo) role.

Seven is not only one of my favorite female characters, she is probably one of my top ten favorite Trek characters overall. I initially dismissed her as nothing more than eyecandy, but the strong scripts and excellent acting won me over.

#1 favorite is probably Kira. She had a great character arc, especially when you throw in the early DS9 Relaunch novels. Speaking of the books, I also like mirror universe Saavik and mirror universe Iliana Ghemor.

Special mentions: Jadzia had the potential to be a very interesting character, but I don't think the writers ever took full advantage of it. She seems like a very difficult character to perform, too. How do you play someone who is simultaneously old, young, wise, wild, cool, and a scientific genius?

B'Elanna Torres: Roxann Dawson is a very good actress, and when her character had the spotlight she always knocked it out of the park. Barge of the Dead, Faces, Muse, Remember - a lot of standout Voyager episodes. Unfortunately, in the episodes when she didnt have the lead, the writers just made her a crabby Klingon constantly biting people's heads off.

Kes: The character never got a fair shake, imo. So many interesting things the writers could have done. A young alien woman with potentially vast mental powers leaves the only home she's ever known to travel the stars. On top of that you have the added pathos of someone with an extremely limited lifespan trying to squeeze a lifetime worth of living into a few brief years. So what did they do? They shackled her to Neelix. Neelix. Then they made he a nurse so the EMH would have someone to talk to. Then they kicked her off the show for Harry Kim.

Guinan: Whoopi did a great job with the character. I wish she had relegated Troi to being a semi frequent guest character.

Least favorite: Janeway. I just really don't like her.

Kilana2, Discofan and Grendelsbayne like this.
  15. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Great post. Though you just lost me on the Janeway thing :lol:

Admiral2 likes this.
  16. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Lol I know a lot of people love her, but she drives me nuts. I do like her in episodes like Counterpoint and Deadlock.

17. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, Janeway was easily the best character, portrayed by the best actor on Voyager. Not that this is a terribly high bar.

18. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorite: Sylvia Tilly. Smart, quick on her feet, quirky and adorable, behaves like a real person, and believes in the values of Starfleet. What's not to like? (The fact that she's played by an actress with a body type that is something other than what is traditionally chosen by Hollywood is a bonus - and the fact that she's also sexy in spite or because of that, your pick, is an extra bonus. ;) )

Least Favorite: Kathryn Janeway. Supposed to be smart, but misses obvious and ethical ways to get her crew home on multiple occasions. But more unforgivably than that, her behavior in the alternate timeline events of "Year of Hell" shows that she's the sort of person that when things get really tough, she'll go lock herself in her quarters for months at a time and neglect the needs of her crew and ship. (And no, it doesn't matter that the events were undone, that was still her essential nature showing through.) She's also the sort of person who would, in the future, be vain enough to decide to essentially *kill billions of people* by erasing their timelines (including billions who would then never even be born) in order to *maybe* make things better for a few people she cares about and *maybe* stop the Borg. And yet... Starfleet knows this from shipboard records and crew accounts (the latter part, any way - the events of Year of Hell, probably not - but still) and STILL decides to give her a rank that means that *Captain Jean-Luc Picard* has to take freaking orders from her sorry butt.

(Note that none of the above is meant to disparage Kate Mulgrew, who I think portrayed Janeway brilliantly - not her fault the character was written that way - and whom I also think has done a terrific job as Red on "Orange Is The New Black".)

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  19. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It's not Mulgrew's fault that she was given the role of a dictator or that a mixed crew, partly civilian agreed to live under military rule, while the Federation itself isn't! Which makes Voyager the only piece of the Federation where life and death decisions for civilians are made by the military without the sanction of the civilian goverment.

20. marlboro

marlboro Guest

I don't understand people's dislike for Dr. Crusher. Other than her spawning Wesley, of course.

Spot's Meow likes this.