Favorite AND least Favorite Female Character?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by UnipolarUnicorn, Sep 3, 2018.

1. sekundant

sekundant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nop, we love even our bloody villains, if they good executed. Think about Khan (Montalban's one, Cumberbatch was rather disappointing to me) , think about Gul Dukat hype, Duras sisters and so on. Janeway/Mulgrew was totally fail.

That's why you have senior officer, your team, your XO, to ask, to get counseled, to execute your orders without hesitation. It is a hard work based on trust and respect, which is framed by Starfleet directives/ guidelines. You have definitely not fool-freedom as Captain, you will be exactly observed and controlled from your seniors. It is valid for every captain, even if this one called Janeway, female, male or divers. How can you describe Janeway's relationship with her senior officers, with her crew, with Starfleet, with Federation? She failed in every instance, instead of landing for the Court Marshall, she became an Admiral. :techman: Do you still think that the Maquis were terrorists ?

Every time when I hear "Janeway is an inspiration for the women" it scares me to the bone. It is just like that at '20's doctors ordered to smoke for TB patients. She could be a pro-argument for everyone who thinks women belong only in the kitchen. :censored:

Ohh BTW, I want to add something to my first entry, Uhura is sure a very important figure for the human right movement and Star Trek legacy, but she had very little scene time to learn about her character and abilities. I have my difficulties with Kelvin Timeline Uhura, since the lack of chemistry between Saldana and Quinto . It seems the love interest is her main issue at the films, she is for my taste very weak figure, what a shame.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. metalheaddoc

metalheaddoc Ensign Red Shirt

Faves: Kira, T'Pol, 7o'9, Leeta
    Least: Kes, early Troi.

3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Favorite: Ann Mulhall/Thalassa (from Return to Tomorrow) :luvlove:
    Least: Nurse Chapel/Spock and that damn hypo. :barf2:

Gary Mitchell and Grendelsbayne like this.
  4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ann Mulhall was an incredible addition to the Enterprise crew. I honestly wish we lived in an alternate universe where she was allowed to stay on as a permanent addition to the show, or at least get brought back for a few movie appearances.

Henoch likes this.
  5. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Favourites are T'pol, Seven Of Nine, Major Kira, Hoshi Sato

Duffers are Troi, Crusher, Pulaski, and any eye candy Yeoman of the week who gets a signature from Kirk (and an inappropriate leer)

6. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Seriously, now and just focusing in on TOS:
    Favorite: Dr. Helen Noel. Initially, she was intelligent, humorous, and a bit flirtatious. Even the evil Dr. Adams thought she was charming and a pleasure to be around. But when danger popped up and Kirk was neutralized (double play on words intended :hugegrin:), she kicked butt. I wish she could have made another appearance. Uhura and Dr. Elizabeth Dehner were close seconds.
    Least Favorite: Nurse Chapel. Hated the wigs just to change her appearance from Number One to trick the network executives and the viewers (though it worked on me when I was a kid). The "love" connection with Spock over all three seasons became plot-weary. Lt. Marla McGivers and the Salt Vampire were close seconds.

sekundant likes this.
  7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Oh, come on! That's the way he looked at Sisko!!!:D

Delta Vega likes this.
  8. Qapla!

Qapla! Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

When I first saw them advertising Seven of Nine on commercials I was skeptical about the character because she looked like pure eye-candy. That was a mistake on my part, because she's actually a really good character and Jeri Ryan did a great job. I totally agree that she succeeded in spite of the difficulties involved.

Kilana2 likes this.
  9. Qapla!

Totally. Also, the outfit was so tight that it made her feel sick from the constriction at times, which is not something that they should have put her through.

Kilana2 likes this.
  10. NovaStar

NovaStar Commander Red Shirt

What a hard choice..!

For favorites, I have too many! Uhura, Dr. Crusher, Janeway, Seven Of Nine, Yeoman Barrows from Shore Leave, Guinan, Major Kira, Kai Winn (for being so evil), and many more.

Least favorites? Ehh tougher but I have some. Dr. Pulaski, Keiko O’Brien, Mira Romaine, Odona, early TNG Troi to name a few

Qapla! likes this.
  11. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Defiler-Of-Redshirts Commander Red Shirt

Favorite: Seven of Nine
    Least Favorite: Tasha Yar (the worst acting performances in Trek history)

Qapla! likes this.
  12. Qapla!

I don't get the love for Tasha Yar. Yeah they killed her off in a dumb way, but they didn't have much use for her anyway and I agree with you that she wasn't that great. When they brought Denise Crosby back as Sela I thought it was lame. She was like a crappy Bond villain because she failed all the time. Besides, I doubt her background was true since when would a daughter look 100% like her mother? I'm guessing the Romulans messed around with genetics and made a clone in order to study human behavior to find weaknesses.

I also agree that Seven of Nine is awesome, and I totally didn't think she would be at first. I thought she was just going to be mere T&A (not that I have a problem with that, but I prefer something more, frankly) but Jeri Ryan was a surprisingly good actress and seasons 4-7 of Voyager are much better than the first three. I think the writers knew that a lot of the crew members were on the weak side so they chose to make a lot of episodes featuring the Doctor and Seven of Nine because they were fan favorites.

13. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Favorite: Georgiou (both of them) They are like the two sides of the same coin.
    Least Favorite: too many to count! Leeta (Ds9) is pretty bad but there are many others.

As for Tasha Yar, I agree that the acting was not top notch. Her first outburst that made Q turn her into a popsicle... I wanted to do the same... just stop talking!!

14. Qapla!

Poor Yeoman Rand. She was always getting pawed by creepy dudes in Season 1 of TOS. Troi sucked for several seasons but she became more interesting in the later ones. Marina Sirtis as a person, however, is hilarious and awesome. Crusher had her moments but she wasn't my favorite. I personally was amused when Pulaski took the piss out of Data a little bit and I think she got better over time, but yes she was too much a McCoy clone and lacked something that would have made us sympathetic to her.

Seven of Nine is fantastic. I didn't like T'pol at first but she grew on me. It took me a long time to accept her overly-plumped collagen lips, though that was a fashion trend at the time and some people like her went overboard as a result. She was one of the better Vulcans for sure and I think it's hard to act like one in a way that's interesting (see Discovery). Major Kira is awesome, and I like Hoshi Sato, too, though it took a bit of time to develop her.

15. Qapla!

I have a lot of criticism against Discovery in general but I love Georgiou and I hope they work harder to develop her character. I think they did a poor job in season 2 and they need to do more with her because Michelle Yeoh is one of their best actors.

Delta Vega likes this.
  16. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Favourite: Janeway. Whatever you think of her she acted like a captain and had the clear respect of her crew like Picard. She was the only redeeming aspect of Voyager as a series.

Least favourite: Virtually all the female characters in Discovery. With the obvious exception of Michael Burnham who the whole series revolves around, the other female characters are so bland I don't even know any of their names besides one called Tilly.

17. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

So, you're basically agreeing with me, ha ha :techman:

Qapla! likes this.
  18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

You don't like Georgiou?:eek:

19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There’s many that I like, so I’ll try to limit it to my top favorites.

Troi, Jadzia Dax, Helen Noel, Tilly, Torres, Janeway, Sito Jaxa, Keiko

My bottom few were:
    Kes, Yar, Wildman

The vast, vast majority of the female characters (and male for that matter) I see as fine. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing really popped out at me, either.

20. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Which one? The real one only appeared in the first one or two episodes making it difficult to form much of an opinion of her as Burnham was the focus. Her evil, mirror universe counterpart has had more screen time acting as either a dictator or anti hero.