Favorite AND least Favorite Female Character?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by UnipolarUnicorn, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

Troi did have some good moments. She had a very positive presence and was the only one who could really help some of the more emotionally reserved people on the ship.

I liked Jadzia seasons 1-3, once she met Worf I felt like she totally lost her personality.

Torres just seemed so angry in the early seasons. It was kind of hard to watch. I just wanted her to relax a little so we can actually understand her character a little better.

I started to like Kira when her and Odo would flirt and we realized that he was interested in her, I thought they really complimented each other well. She knew he liked her, but then kind of strung him along. Then she toyed with his emotions and there was so much back and forth until they finally got together and then he leaves to join the link?! For me it was like Jack and Kate on Lost. Just be together or don’t!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Armus and Qonundrum like this.
  2. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think my favorite female character must be Seven Of Nine. And that's not in first place because of her good looks (she DOES look amazing though), but I think it's a very deep character. I mean, we see a Borg drone becoming human again and her struggle to receive more individuality with all its benefits aswell as downsides. It's an extremely interesting development she undergoes and I was glad to see that they didn't pack it into two or three episodes right after her introduction, instead her development was a gradual process that lasted until the end of the show.

Honorable mentions:

1. Of course Captain Janeway. A strong, intelligent and self-confident character who has to make the best out of the situation and the task of bringing her crew back home. I think it was especially amazing in the first season of Voyager that she always tried her best to stay strong and optimistic and to give positivity to her crew, even though she herself suffered a lot under the circumstances. And then, the character also has her shades - although she sticks to her moral beliefs mostly, she also takes decisions which are discussed until today.

2. Beverly Crusher: I mean, this might be a bit surprising since as far as I know, she's not always among fan favorites. And actually, she also doesn't have the benefits that Seven or Janeway have. But I like the character a lot somehow. She's also self-confident, intelligent and has a strong sense for morality, justice and so on. I mean, yeah, that applies to a lot of Trekkie characters, but... well, I like her, that's simply it :D

Least favorite female character: Dr. Pulaski. In my opinion it was huge mistake to replace Beverly with her after TNG season one, luckily she came back for season three. Pulaski seemed to me just not really interesting and also quite arrogant. The way she acted towards Data, always letting him feel that he, in her eyes, is less worth than a real living being, was a no-go for me :thumbdown:

cosmic mouse, Refuge, Kilana2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Nimoy had 79 episodes and seven movies to transform "wooden" into "stoic and reserved." Majel was not afforded that luxury, only because she was the Great Bird's girlfriend.

Yes, because in practically every scene she was faced with a crisis: she was in command of a ship that had lost its captain. I'm sorry if you think she didn't take enough time to emote. She was a woman with a job to do.

Majel wasn't the problem. She played the part the way it should have been played. The problem is too many people who negatively critique the performance don't get that. The performance wasn't "wooden." It was realistic. A person in authority who was suddenly made responsible for over two hundred lives put aside her emotional reaction and threw herself into her job.

I stand by what I said. Number One is my number one female character in trek, mainly because of the way Majel Barrett played her. Disagree all you like.

4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but did she not change her tune over time? Seemed very supportive of him at times, even "Peak Performance". In TNGland, that was her character arc. Still, what are the qualifiers for sentience? Is empathy not one of them? There's another measure. Maybe that's why Pulaski started out the way she had, she did not know or experience.

Sarxus likes this.
  5. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Commander Red Shirt

Favourite: Kira.
    Least favourite: difficult choice, there are many who I'm not a great fan of, but also none who I actively detest like some of Trek's male characters. But if I have to pick one, probably Michael.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

But that's not how it went. Nimoy turned "shouty and excitable" to "stoic and reserved," and it only took a handful of episodes.

THE WOODEN!!!!!

Nyotarules and Admiral2 like this.
  7. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn straight. :techman:

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  8. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Favourite is Kira followed by Torres

Least favourite is a toss up between Troi and Crusher. Seven of Nine gets an honorable mention here as well. Watching her save the ship every other week and dominating a majority of the storylines got old pretty quick.

9. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Favourite: Kira (HM: Seven, Janeway & B'elanna)

Least Favourite: Tasha (HM: Kes & Burnham)

10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Favorite: Sylvia Tilly
    Least Favorite: Kes
    Tilly to me finally achieves what Miles O'Brien was supposed to be: that everybody character. Only with O'Brien it meant keeping him tormented and grumpy. Tilly kind of does get to the the viewer dumped into the situation. She has a lot of potential, though they haven't given her the full blown Wes treatment about it. But she also has her flaws, and her experiences in the mirror universe show her she has the potential to be someone very different.

Kes? Meh. Maybe it's guilt by Neelix-association but I just never really appreciated the character

11. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. I feel like Kes was really starting to develop as a character in the back half of season 3 once she broke up with Neelix. Before and After was actually a damn good character focus episode for her - one of the few episodes of Voyager which made me feel something. I feel like if Lien had the chance (and got a few more decent scripts) her character could have been one of the more compelling on the show.

Not to mention I could just listen to Jennifer Lein's voice all day. It's a shame she didn't get a career in audiobooks after acting went south, because she has a voice that's made for it.

12. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

favorites: Seven of Nine, Janeway
    least fav: Troi

13. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Favorites:

1) Jadzia, wisdom and humor. Her voice was soothing but she could also kick butt. Strong woman without the bitterness of Kira (who is my number four or five)
    2) Uhura (especially Nuhura since they gave her more to do) Ultra-competent. Played very well by both Nichols and Saldana. Groundbreaking.
    3) Seven (if not for the catsuit,and before they completely made her the focus) Super interesting concept. Jeri Ryan is an underrated actress.

Least Favorite:
    1) Michael Burnham, a character who's supposed to be this ace who's instincts are always to be trusted, but who has a mental breakdown over nothing i the first episode, tries to mutiny and in subsequent episodes is only smart because everyone around her is so stupid. Easily the worst part of STD.
    2) Janeway, could have been great, but poor writing and direction by Jeri Taylor derailed both Janeway and the entire show.
    3) Tilly, no way does someone like that end up getting admitted to Starfleet Academy, much less graduating.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on what evidence?

Oh right. None.

15. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorite: Kira Nerys (followed by Dax, Torres, and Finn)

Least Favorite: Troi--not only does the character not seem to have a purpose (notice all the times it had to be inserted into a story), but the actress did nothing to make the character and the stories that focused on her compelling.

16. iliescu

iliescu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Favorite is B'Elanna Torres from Voyager. Least Favorite is Keiko from Deep Space 9.

17. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Commander Red Shirt

I find it more believable she would than Michael with her who-gives-a-f*ck attitude to direct orders and chain of command

18. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Favorites: Kira, Seven, Troi

Least favorite: Janeway

19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorites (in order from most favorite):
    1. Kira
    2. Burnham
    3. Troi
    4. Tilley

Least Favorites (starting with least favorite):
    1. Kes
    2. Dr. Crusher
    3. Janeway
    4. T'Pol

20. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think your take on who this character is "supposed to be" is 180 degrees off. The entire point of Burnham is that she is flawed, arrogant, and often wrong...and the first season was her starting to grow and mature away from that as her arrogance and flaws have grave consequences.

She was never, ever meant to be an "ace whose instincts are always to be trusted". She was meant to be a massively flawed person who must now grow and heal.

Edit: Also, coming face-to-face in conflict with the people responsible for brutally murdering your family in front of you and being ravaged by severe radiation poisoning is not "having a mental breakdown over nothing." At least, not by my read.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    JRoss, 1001001 and Grendelsbayne like this.