Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It has to be something that Nick Fury has his hands on, though.

2. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nick Fury has access to a lot of advance technology from many sources. Maybe some Asgardian tech that was left behind but most of it looked like it was human in origin.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, the possibility of it being a human invention strikes me as more likely given what we've seen. Especially if the real key to bringing someone back to life is repairing their neurological damage.

Since I don't think Death (someone so intimately connected with Thanos and possibly too fantastical) would be introduced on the television show, I find that unlikely. I don't know enough about the Infinity Gems to know if the Soul stone would be appropriate, but it didn't seem like that machine behaved at all like what I would imagine (and the whole "hungers for souls" thing raises far different moral/ethical issues than the one Coulson is about to face).

But, I do agree with your main point that there's more to the universe than Asgard. Really, there's nothing remotely Asgardian in that machine's appearance or function or anything like that machine associated with Asgard in either the comics or folklore (certainly nothing remotely that unpleasant). Really, wouldn't Frigga have been brought back from the dead if Asgard had the technology to do so?

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Also, didn't Coulson die by means of an Asgardian weapon? That may have made it possible to resurrect him using Asgardian technology, where a typical human death would not be.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, the spear was from Thanos to direct the battle.

You'd think that maybe Phil was killed so that Thanos could bring him back... But the little screen had it's own ideas.

6. Yminale

Plus he was stabbed not hit by an energy beam.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's described as a Chitauri spear consistently. If we're talking about alien influences, both the Chitauri and the Asgardians have had the same amount of television time devoted to them (i.e., one episode). Of course, it's likely to be from Thanos, not the Chitauri just because they seem to be relatively small players in the grand scheme of things (the audience just doesn't know who Thanos is), but we don't know that for a fact yet.

8. Yminale

I don't know. Wheldon knows who Thanos is and maybe in the MCU, Thanos has more influence over Death than in the regular Marvel Universe. What if Thanos or Death intervened to revive Coulson in spite of all the attempts made by SHIELD. Maybe that revelation is being held back until the release of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie which will familiarize the audience to Thanos.

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wheldon?

10. Yminale

I meant Joss Whedon.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked that episode. I liked the reveal of Tahiti and while it didn't tell us why he was revived it was an intense scene, very visceral. Hearing him scream, 'let me die' was so powerful. I'm looking forward to finding out why he is so special though, I hope it's not just because Fury has a soft spot for him.

I like the bond that's developing between Skye and Coulson as well, I'm not usually a 'shipper but I wouldn't mind if things developed between them.

I liked the post-credits scene as well. Can't wait to find out who the Clairvoyant is. Could it turn out to be a machine? (Sort of like how the Machine in Person of Interest works).

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Yminale

I'm surprised that there isn't more speculation on who "the Clairvoyant" is

My guesses

1. Nick Fury. CENTIPEDE feels like an underground shadow of SHIELD and he also has access to the technology CENTIPEDE uses plus the money and desire for Super-Soldiers. Plus there is a thematic link with Fury and Wotan/Odin of Norse myth. Odin gives up one of his eyes to see in to the future and who is the most famous one eyed person in the MCU. Speaking of Norse legends

2. Odin. Unlikely after Thor 2 but he can see into the future

3. Kang the Conquer/Immortus/Rama-set. Hey the Avenger movies have Thanos and X-men have Apocalypse as their ultimate big bads. Why not have AoS have their own super big bad to fight with. Kang isn't clairvoyant but he's from the future. Problem is Kang has his own advance technology and doesn't need CENTIPEDE research. Another time traveler ...

4. Skye from the future. Maybe she uploaded her mind to a computer and is trying to change history.

5. Raina. MovieBob at the Escapist suggested this but it's crazy and she doesn't have any powers we know of except sounding nice and making flower prints look good.

6. Hydra/ Baron Strucker. Certainly evil enough but no clairvoyance.

7. Some obscure Marvel character. The two I can think of are Madame Web and Ozymandias but they belong in different franchises (Spider-man and X-men)

8. Crazy Coulson ?? Maybe he really isn't a good guy or bringing him back caused a split personality.

9. STAN LEE. Hey why not. Excelsior!

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My personal guess: AIM reorganized. Under whose leadership?

15. Yminale

How about Tony Stark :evil:

I know it's probably MODOK but he wasn't this subtle in the Marvel Universe.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wussies, that is not John Garrets Hair style.

[​IMG]

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What if the tech used during Operation #7 is of Wakkandian(sp) origin. I'm not the most well versed in Black Panther lore but seems when I do read stories that Wakanda is mentioned as having advanced science that they've kept to themselves.

In IM2 we did get that scene where one of the global locations SHIELD was keeping tabs on could've been Wakanda. What if Black Panther or Wakanda makes the debut on this show?

19. Yminale

Wakandan technology is associated with Vibranium but I don't remember if there were any medical uses. Mostly it's used for offensive and defensive weaponry (like Captain America's Shield).

Another possibility. Since we have the Chitauri/Skrull what about their ancient enemies the Ruul/Kree. The Clairvoyant could be the Kree's Supreme Intelligence.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I really doubt they'll bring in any such big or cosmic concepts. The idea behind Agents of SHIELD is to be the most grounded part of the MCU, to be a more conventional TV-level sort of thing with non-superpowered characters dealing with human-scale threats -- to be more of a spy/procedural show that just happens to be set in the Marvel Universe, so that it's accessible to the same mass audience that watches NCIS and all those other acronym procedurals and buys the products that ABC's advertisers are selling. The more exotic, superheroey or cosmic stuff is for the movies or for a niche market like Netflix. That's why the only Asgardian we got in the Thor crossover was a middle-aged professor who'd been a lowly working stiff back on Asgard.

So if the Supreme Intelligence shows up anywhere, it's gonna be in the movies, where they can afford the special effects to do cosmic-scale storytelling. It's not going to be introduced on this show.