TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Jellico

Jellico Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like TNG too. Lots of good memories from those days are evoked by watching.

leannespock likes this.
  2. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Welcome @leannespock ! I hope you enjoy your time on the boards!

I love TNG, too. I've seen it so many times that I can play it for background noise and feel very comforted by the familiar voices. I also love DS9 and VOY.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. Moogie21

Moogie21 Cadet Newbie

TNG is hands down my favorite. I have fond memories of checking the TV Guide and waiting for new episodes to come out.
    Many of life’s lessons, I learned from TNG.

Richard S. Ta and Mike McDevitt like this.
  4. Whizkid

Whizkid Commander Red Shirt

I find it really difficult to choose between TNG and DS9.

haddie moonfall likes this.
  5. Whizkid

Whizkid Commander Red Shirt

Barclay! FTW!

6. Jellico

I consider TNG to be one of the best TV shows from that era, if I can call a period of time within my life an era, but I’ll always ha e a soft spot in the heart for DS9. I’m looking for a new DS9 podcast to listen to during work travel. I guess what I’m saying is that I agree. I can’t really choose which one I like better.

7. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7th Rule? The DS9 episodes of Mission Log? Of Greatest Generation? I hear Nana Visitor and her son do a podcast, and I know Alexander Siddig is active on Youtube.

8. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

All of them have their points that ties the TNG saga together and no single character would be better than the other.

9. Jellico

Yes, thank you! I follow Mission Log, which is rapping up a long look of all of DS9. Also, I listen to 7th Rule. There was a Trekmate podcast called Upper Pylon 2 which was good but I can’t seem to find that. I’ll check for Visitor and Siddig activity.

10. WAMTNG

WAMTNG Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all,
    It's been a long time since I've engaged with the Trek community... I was an avid member of various Star Trek usenet groups in the 1990s, but since then I've not really done anything Trek related at all. However, I have just decided to commit to writing a full set of 178 episode critiques for Star Trek: The Next Generation over at Substack, called WAM TNG. WAM stands for 'Words', 'Acting Roles', and 'Models', and basically each newsletter breaks down each episode in terms of the way it was put together and the things we are supposed to imagine because of it.
    I imagine this is a pretty niche interest, looking at the scripts, the roles, and the models - and matte paintings (I'm a huge fan of matte paintings!) but I'm three episodes in and having fun with it, thought I'd try and wave hello to the wider Trek community, especially since I may need some help on some of the more obscure issues I'm writing about.
    Is there a forum here that is especially recommended for questions like 'does anyone know if this was a matte painting or a maquette'? etc?
    Anyway, disappointed I have to send 14 messages before I get an Avatar, but so be it. At least I get a communicator. My primary interest is in twentieth century Trek, but I bear no ill will towards the new stuff, I'm just not that interested in it.
    Jolan tru!
    WAM TNG

May 20 and Mike McDevitt like this.
  11. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

There is no single forum devoted to Trek art so TNG is probably the best for the questions is here. A lot of people here have very detailed knowledge of the show's production.

Ruthyone and Ragitsu like this.
  12. WAMTNG

Thanks! As soon as I get on top of my work I have a few questions to throw out, but it'll probably be later this month the way things are going.

haddie moonfall and May 20 like this.
  13. May 20

No worries. We'll be here.

WAMTNG likes this.
  14. haddie moonfall

haddie moonfall Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was born in 66, I grew up loving TOS, it's where i got my ethics and theosophic understandings as a young kid. When TNG came out i was so excited, but saw the cast on the Today Show, most had never even heard of STrek when they got the roles.. so I was put off haha & refused to watch it.

Then 8 years later, I calmed down :rolleyes: & watched it on cable.. i loved it so much and have probably watched it 8 times all the way through. DS9 is so great to me too. I love the episodic star trek shows but also like a longer 1-3 part story within the episodic format.

Garak one of my favorite characters.. but on TNG I love Data, Barclay and always wished Warf was more developed but then I got to see him on DS9!
    SNW is okay, better than other recent ones, imho, hope it grows on me..but i feel i don't know the characters w/just 10 episodes a season. I like Prodigy and enjoy Lower Decks too. So happy to see ST come back to us in such dark times. And looking forward to 3rd season of Picard w/the original cast!!! :hugegrin:

Btw, it's fun getting old, i love it...and ST esp TNG/DS9 still bring me happiness.

A few times in my life, feeling so overwhelmed, i'll sit down to watch an episode like Data's Day and somehow all is ok in the world again. :lol:

Ruthyone, WAMTNG, May 20 and 2 others like this.
  15. May 20

This. My SO how I can watch the same series over and over. I've seen TNG, DS9, and VOY many times. And, yet, they make things better again for me, too.

Which one is my favorite? The one I'm currently watching! :lol:

16. haddie moonfall

I agree whichever one I'm watching, well said!
    One reason Data's Day stands out is because it's a unique episode w/no real conflict (except the O'Briens wedding & a vulcan:rommie: transport mystery). I'm a bit simple and boring and like 'a day in the life' episodes... and Data's probably my favorite character if i really had to only choose one. :adore:

May 20 likes this.
  17. WAMTNG

I absolutely adore the episodes that get a bit 'domestic' like this one, and although the 'Dancing Doctor' sequence is one of my favourite scenes ever I think I love "Family" even more because it is so cathartic and blends comedy with tragedy.

But the great thing about these shows is that they have such a range... maybe not everyone likes everything they try and do, but even in the weakest stories I find joy in the matte paintings, the studio miniatures, or that one standout performance. It's been so much fun to write about the show for WAMTNG, and there are so many great episodes ahead of me. It is as you say, "all is right in the world again." :hugegrin:

18. haddie moonfall

i just subscribed to WAMTNG So happy to find it .... I liked the dancing doctor haha and Family as well...in fact i'm currently on a re-watch and it's the next episode!

Sigh :cool::D
    i've found my people :beer:

WAMTNG likes this.
  19. Ruthyone

Ruthyone Guest

Hi everyone - I think my favourite Star Trek is TNG. I loved the episode 'Measure of a Man' as Data is one of my favourite characters. I have also started watching ST Enterprise as I have never seen it before and am enjoying it.

WAMTNG, May 20, Ragitsu and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ruthyone

Ruthyone Guest

I saw ST TNG years ago and really enjoyed watching it again. I hope Pick or maybe Legend repeat it again from the beginning.