TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Norte.m40

Norte.m40 Ensign Red Shirt

2. Mad_Jasper

Mad_Jasper Ensign Red Shirt

I was 16 when I first heard about the TNG announcement. Having loved TOS reruns and movies, I was looking forward to it. I initially believed that Riker was the captain and was shocked and disappointed when turned out to be the old, bald English guy.

I still watched it and grew to love it. As strange as it may seem, I still recall dreaming about sleeping in my quarters to the hum of the Enterprise D engines.

As much as I loved TOS, TNG was really what turned me into a Trek fan. DS9 is my favorite, but not by much. Picard S3 was definitely a gift to my generation.

Legate Duhmar likes this.
  3. Legate Duhmar

Legate Duhmar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I grew up watching old TOS with my dad during cold Canadian winters and found TNG around age 9 when Farpoint premiered on TV and was hooked from day one. Really loved DS9 as well and when both shows aired it was truly Trek paradise. Also watched VOY and ENT but both of those were a mixed bag for me and never quite measured up to the others. Deliberately missed most Trek since but will likely check out Picard season 3 to see the reunion.

4. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG is just good stuff. It's cosy and warm, occasionally challenging, and at turns frequently fascinating or dull. Often within the space of one episode. But it's a nice show to watch and the best of it can comfortably call itself some of the best Star Trek ever made.

It must be nearly 20 years ago since I first marathoned the whole show. Wow. Where does time go?

It's not my favourite, but I will always, always love it. I love spending time onboard the Enterprise-D with Picard and his Pals.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    haddie moonfall likes this.
  5. CarnelianClout

CarnelianClout Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Been a TNG fan since 2014 at the very least. It is one of my favorite Star Trek shows, I personally like it more than TOS. Picard is an excellent captain and I loved TNG very much.

6. Sherlock Data

Sherlock Data Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello! Absolutely new to Star Trek within the past year, but I have fallen in love with it. I started watching TNG and have to say Data is my favorite character of all. Q is insufferable but I enjoy the episodes he appears in! I'm hoping to backtrack soon and watch the Original Series. Happy to be here!

7. Unique

Unique Commander Red Shirt

I’m all aquiver to know what good qualities you found in Sub Rosa.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. Unique

I’ve been a TNG fan since I waited for a new episode every week as a kid. I also watched TOS reruns, and enjoyed them thoroughly, but I never got that family feel from it that I had/have with TNG.
    Picard was portrayed as being deeply uncomfortable with children, yet they somehow made him more of a father figure than any other Trek captain before or since.
    I think I was a little too young to fully appreciate all the nuances of DS9, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Odo and Quark.

9. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

There's one good thing in 'Sub Rosa'.
    Me being a 'The New World Zorro' fan as a kid and I guess on some level to this day, Zorro plays the ghost. =)

10. Unique

I’m not sure I ever saw that series, but I just pulled it up! I’m always looking for something good to watch with my kids.

JesterFace likes this.
  11. Michael Two Wolves

Michael Two Wolves Commander Red Shirt

Michael here. Currently a lieutenant, but scheming my way to the top.

I'm not sure I have a preference for episodes or characters other than the ship itself, perhaps. I like the episodes that explore the little-seen places on the ship and its technology. I will say that I really enjoyed the Traveler episode just because it put the crew in a position they were unaccustomed to, and had to adapt. Love me some Borg episodes (sorry, TNG, Voyager has it on lock with Seven of Nine's story arc) and seeing their ships. The technical details are my favorites.

haddie moonfall and May 20 like this.
  12. ANejat

ANejat Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello, I'm new.
    I call myself ANejat.
    TNG is my favourite Star Trek series for including a high number of things the later series didn't have; and I'm a huge fan of how TNG made everything new and... ...better...
    I am you avarage ST fan-boi, my favourite fictional character is capt. Picard for how simplicitly perfect he is. I don't post images often, but if I did, it'd be this:
    [​IMG]

13. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just wanted to pop in and say I like TNG now. Tried watching it three times over the last nine years and thought it was the most boring thing ever.

Last year I decided to make my own playlist of episodes to watch to see if I could like it. Mainly Klingon, Borg, and TOS characters with my husband throwing in some Data and Picard stuff. I got to season 6 and then realized I was enjoying myself so went back and started from season 1 which was still incredibly tedious. On season 2 now!

May 20 and Victoria like this.
  14. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Good for you! Season 1 has one of my favorite episodes - The Arsenal of Freedom. I hope you liked that one.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  15. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@May 20 I did! It’s one of my few favs from the first season.

“The USS Lollipop. It’s a good ship.”

Also really liked the scenes where Beverly was “doctoring” Picard.

The others being Datalore and Heart Of Glory.

16. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

I'm 38, I stumbled upon TNG right about the time it was going off the air. What is kind of funny is my first episode I ever saw, still remember it clear as day, was "Code of Honor". Despite the... shortcomings of that episode, it was enough to hook 9(?) year old me. An episode of DS9 came on after... don't remember which... but I remember in my head "If THIS is Star Trek, i'm gonna watch it too!" and it WAS!

From then on, my life changed! For TNG specifically, I tend to be a sucker for Klingon-centric episodes, and mystery-type episodes (Conundrum, Time Squared, Clues, etc.) I tend to avoid Troi-centric episodes.

TNG remains my favorite Star Trek... my favorite tv series of all time, but DS9, VOY and ENT all coming in close second (VOY and TNG compete for my #1 spot... VOY was the first Trek show I got to watch from the beginning as it was airing). I have a soft spot for TOS, not due to any sort of nostalgia... I was born in 1985 and really didn't see any TOS until well after I had gotten into TNG, but for what TOS is. It's not my favorite Star Trek, but I do aggressively defend it and it disappoints me that newer Trek has essentially erased it.

As for new Trek, it's something of an emotional roller coaster. When I heard there was going to be a new Star Trek show, I was FLOORED! I almost cried. I was so excited. And then, Discovery happened. It broke my heart. I despise that show with every fiber of my being. After all that time, I was so excited, and... that's what they made. A part of me died with Discovery, and I honestly don't like Trek quite the way I used to it after it. PIC came in and redeemed somewhat, I mostly think Picard is fantastic, with some flaws. Lower Decks and Prodigy are fine, and SNW varies in quality, with S1 being great but S2 leaving something to be desired.

One of the biggest draws of Trek to me is the massive shared universe, and it's also why I have a hard time enjoying some of the newer Trek, which seems to not respect that shared universe. No matter what they put out, i'll always have TNG.

17. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting. I was so excited for Discovery and it did everything I desperately needed Star Trek to do: Release itself from the limitations and shackles of the Berman Era. It hasn't disappointed since.

18. Keoni

Keoni Cadet Newbie

Hi, I don’t think there is a single series that I haven’t enjoyed. Enterprise was hard to watch at times. Far too much of “more of the same” from TNG thru to Voyager. But was interested to see where Manny might take the series if it had been renewed. Never thought I’d see Picard get his own spin-off, that was fun/enjoyable/emotional (some of it was meh, loved the 1st and 3rd seasons). Hoping for a Picard tv-movie, and fingers crossed for Star Trek - Legacy to materialize. Looking forward to Section 31.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I watched "Encounter at Farpoint" when it premiered here in Cincinnati on WXIX-TV channel 19. The show hasn't aged as well as I hoped, but it was quite a ride back then.

20. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Commander Red Shirt

I was 7 when I started watching "TNG" with my uncle, and we watched almost every episode back then. I like almost every episode too, even a few some of the cast members hated. I honestly think the show did better after Gene Roddenberry left, because the characters and situations were allowed to loosen up a bit, and have some actual conflict which creates good drama. I mean, c'mon - how do you tell compelling stories, if all the main heroes never make any mistakes?