Spoilers Thor: Love and Thunder grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Evil Headhunter, Jul 7, 2022.

?

How do you rate Love and Thunder?

1. Full of love and thunder!

5.8%
  2. A

10.5%
  3. A-

8.1%
  4. B+

10.5%
  5. B

19.8%
  6. B-

11.6%
  7. C+

8.1%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

7.0%
  10. D

7.0%
  11. D+

3.5%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Nothing but godly despair...

3.5%
  1. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

If the cliff is right, they can base-jump back down with a parachute. Top Gear (prior to Clarkson and Co departing) showed this when Clarkson raced two free climbers up a cliff as he took a mountain road in an Audi TT. Then having lost, he foolishly challenged them to "double or quits" back down...

2. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

There's literally nothing to defend

I got auto corrected. Meant to type 'diverse stable'. GODDAMMIT

And not everyone has good taste, sadly

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

This may have been mentioned, but the guy giving the tours at New Asgard, that's Darryl, Thor's Australian Roommate in those shorts they released before Ragnarök

Taste is subjective, what you consider good, others would consider bad and the reverse is true.

saddestmoon and Turtletrekker like this.
  4. Mr. Spook

Mr. Spook Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor: Love and Thunder is guilty of doubling down on what made Ragnorok successful. This is actually pretty typical in franchises when they hit on a successful formula. "Oh, wacky comedy worked? AMP IT UP!" "Oh, people love 80's easy listening hits on a walkman? AMP IT UP!"

GOTG2 and Love and Thunder are just the same as the previous films: ONLY MORE SO! This doesn't always work.

Star Trek IV anyone? "Jokes for the win!" gave us Scotty hitting his head on a beam.

SKYFALL was a huge smash, so they brought back the same director, writers and composer. The result was SPECTRE (although that one has grown on me for its style if not content).

MCU films have always walked the thin line between adventure and comedy. Some films go into sitcom (those I never seems to like). But the films that have a great balance of humor and drama work for me. And the film with MOSTLY drama are even better, IMO.

Thor, Ant-Man, She-Hulk, even Doctor Strange (who is a bigger wiseass than his comic counterpart ever was) are all comedies. Which, great, if that's what you like have a good time. I prefer Winter Soldier, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and the last two Avengers films. Primarily adventures with mostly well done comic bits to ease tension.

LaxScrutiny and Dar70 like this.
  5. Mr. Spook

Hahaha that wasn't nice, man. I didn't insult your taste, just that I didn't share it. It's movies, friend.

6. Vincent van Ghoul

Vincent van Ghoul Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a good term for it. I see it a lot with films that are successful. It's an attempt to continue that success and ensure that money continues to come flowing in.

Now, to the credit of Marvel, if Thor Love and Thunder doesn't work they will move on, while other franchises will keep holding on to those touchstones of success.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I've noticed where a director with a notable style is doing a second movie based on another work that their trademark stamps get more pronounced in that balance between IP and auteur.

Batman Returns is Tim Burton turned up to 11.
    Batman and Robin is Joel Schumacher turned up to 11.
    Halloween 2 is Rob Zombie turned up to 11.
    GOTG2 and Love and Thunder similarly with Gunn and Taika.

Granted, there's a small sample size for directors who both have a recognizable style and who have done multiple movies within someone else's IP. I haven't gone back to see if this could be applied to Raimi and Spider-Man.

Mr. Spook likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Star Trek V ;)

9. Candy Consumer

Candy Consumer Fleet Admiral Admiral

That joke fell pretty flat for me.

OK, I'll show myself out.

But really, it did.

10. Mr. Spook

What I meant was Star Trek IV's success paved the way for the excessive humor in Star Trek V.

F. King Daniel and theenglish like this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Ahh ok

Mr. Spook likes this.
  12. Evil Headhunter

Evil Headhunter Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

I remember a time when people talked about Thor in this thread... :shifty:

13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GOTG2 is a lot better than GOTG though.

For me personally, it's the best MCU movie, hands down.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

To each their own. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 is a bit of a mess in my eyes. But then, seeing as the only James Gunn movies that I've ever wholeheartedly enjoyed without reservation were the first Guardians and Scooby-Doo, maybe it's that I'm just not a big James Gunn fan.

15. Vincent van Ghoul

Vincent van Ghoul Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only a mess but really dark and not very enjoyable. So, you're not alone on this one.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my mind, it was Marvel's greatest success because all of the subplots were tightly wound into the core theme of damaged family relationships. You had Peter/Ego, Gamora/Nebula, and Rocket/Yondu all working towards those themes. I was shocked at how the movie made Yondu so compelling as a character (with such deep pathos) given he was a shallow shitheel in the first movie. I honestly cry every time I get to the end, which is something that few other Marvel movies do.

In addition Ego is a much, much better villain than the awful, almost absent Ronan from the first movie, who is basically a non-character who just exists as an excuse for team-building. Plus baby Groot is much better than grown-up Groot.

Really, the only part of GOTG 2 I didn't like was the inclusion of Mantis, who basically seemed to exist just for jokes and for Drax to have something to do (mostly by being inadvertently mean to her).

Richard S. Ta, LaxScrutiny and Mage like this.
  17. Candy Consumer

Candy Consumer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The space funeral in GOTG2 was amazing.

Mage, LaxScrutiny and Grendelsbayne like this.
  18. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree with 98% of your post. Not sure about your reference to "Thor." The actual film "Thor" was a dramatic, character centred (all the characters) film with an opera worthy score and a powerful climax, that included a few brief, well placed, legitimately LOL scenes with Stan Lee, Darcy, and a drunken Skelvig. It's the only one in the series I have zero complaints about. (The others in the series do have their appeal for various reasons. L&T not so much.)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    ichab likes this.
  19. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

IMO it was an average movie that could have been a great movie with a better director. Christian Bale knocked it out of the park and so did Natalie Portman. But Thor has gotten so silly that he's almost becoming a parody of himself. I like humor as much as the next guy. But this director likes it to the point that it ruins the drama. After Ragnarok I figured this was the direction they were going in so I'm glad I skipped it in the theater and waited for it to come on Disney Plus.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  20. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commodore Commodore

I watched it and enjoyed it well enough. Much like Deadpool 2 it suffers from attempting to present a greatest hits package of what worked in the previous movie to slightly diminishing returns, but it was fun.

Ragnarok still stands as my favourite MCU movie, but Love and Thunder was certainly decent. Christian Bale was a highlight I thought, but he usually is.

F. King Daniel likes this.