Spoilers Thor: Love and Thunder grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jul 7, 2022.

?

How do you rate Love and Thunder?

1. Full of love and thunder!

5.7%
  2. A

10.2%
  3. A-

8.0%
  4. B+

10.2%
  5. B

19.3%
  6. B-

12.5%
  7. C+

9.1%
  8. C

4.5%
  9. C-

6.8%
  10. D

6.8%
  11. D+

3.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Nothing but godly despair...

3.4%
  1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

And again, what difference does it make to you, with your laughing emoji. Some of us have waited our entire lives for a moment like this when we can see comic books playing out in live action movies that are not played as camp with shitty effects. I think it is pretty mean spirited and juvenile to wish an end to this era of movie making that some of us waited decades for. Of course, I would love for all movies to be great high quality, entertaining and profound statements I could watch again and again--but right now, even the poorest entries in the MCU are head and shoulders over much of what has come before.

You know, I don't like the Fast and Furious franchise but I don't wish its fans the destruction of the series. And making that kind of comment with a laughing face is something I wouldn't expect from a thirteen year old.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Missed this earlier but it should be noted that the Dumpling God was most likely a reference to the Oscar-winning Pixar short film Bao.

But, sure, it was the stupidest, most juvenile thing ever. :rolleyes:

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The hilarious thing about the complaining is that the post credit scene of Zeus bemoaning how the Old Gods are seen as jokes and how they've been replaced by Superheroes was a great meta commentary on how Superheroes ARE modern mythological heroes all over again.

Somehow that goes over the complainers' heads.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superheroes as modern gods is both annoying and accurate all at the same time.

saddestmoon likes this.
  5. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry you feel that way. It's my opinion and I stand by it. But there is a reason why Thor was a critical failure. The CAMP of the film was a big factor. It was awful. As for Fast and Furious...I used to be a HUGE fan. Once they made Dom pretty much indestructible and the ever increasing ridiculous stunts etc.....IM ALSO GLAD FF IS ENDING...:luvlove:...many of the franchises fans hated the last film...

I also waited my entire life for good superhero films. That doesnt mean I'm gonna accept any slop they throw on the screen. Which we seem to be getting more and more.....again these films are following the exact same trajectory of the very comic books they hail from...

Now I wilm end this with a franchise that HAS gotten it right for over 30 years. The mission impossible films have been solid all the way through. :techman:[/QUOTE]

6. Dar70

Ok..:lol:

7. fireproof78

Oof, no. MI 2 and 3 sucked.

Anwar likes this.
  8. Dar70

No way. While they were not perfect they are both very enjoyable to me and I have rewatched them a few times now.
    Come on how can anyone hate the opening of 2???.:D

Garak likes this.
  9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Going from the comic books to comic movies there's the problem with limited resources. Back when I was an active comic reader not every title appealed to me but you always had another dozen or more to choose among at any given time. With the MCU there's only basically resources to allow for one project at a time. As Marvel has increased its scope there's a higher chance that a given project might not appeal to some.

I don't generally wish for something to be cancelled/pulled that others enjoy (I could've done without 30 years of Law and Order but it doesn't really affect me) but there is a dilemma in that with the limited resources that a "bad" project precludes another more desirable one from being made. I could gladly forget The Dark Tower movie but I really regret that I can't see a better adaptation I'd be really interested in because of its existence. There's an opportunity cost involved that makes it more complex than just wanting to take away something from people.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the answer to not liking something is don't watch it. The wish that it get cancelled is petty.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The first movie was more of a real Mission Impossible story, 2 and 3 were just Tom Cruise ego trips

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I've only seen the first Mission Impossible film. I refuse to watch anything else in the series after they made Jim Phelps the villain of the first movie.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The last three M:Is are some of the best action movies released in a long time.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this is a valid argument. I agree that having a poorly done movie can be harmful to future projects that might be better. I wish we had had a much more faithful Dark Tower production in the same way I wish Green Lantern's movie could have been better. As it stands we're still waiting to see GL on the big or small screen in live action, and there are no hopes for the Dark Tower in the near future.

At this point for Marvel though, other than the X-Men and Fantastic Four, they have already used up their big name properties and are spending the current phase developing second and third tier characters. There have been a few misses, but overall they have generally been successfully financially and creatively in their attempt to introduce diversity in style of production as well as characters. Not every project appeals to every person, but there is enough out there that if you aren't finding something you like then go watch something else. But wishing the destruction of the entire thing is just petty and bizarrely egocentric or borderline clinical.

I don't wish the destruction of the Mission Impossible series even though I have never really liked it and I have huge ethical problems in supporting Tom Cruise. His "religion" and treatment of women just makes it difficult for me to even watch him on screen--although I am not so fanatical in that regard that I will not watch a movie just because he is in it.

15. Dar70

Haha. Well Ethan Hunt is the Hero in the films. It was not a continuation of the tv show so I was more than good with them making Phelps the Villian. The series has done far better than anyone expected. I remember the outrage many felt about the Phelps character.....I had thought most people got over it...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Also, I just despise Tom Cruise. I actually can't even remember the last time I saw Tom Cruise movie. The first Mission Impossible might have been it.

17. fireproof78

Easily. Does not hold up.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

MI2 ripped off Darkman a little too much for my taste anyways, and MI3 was just repeating stuff from MI1. It wasn't until the later movies it's become watchable and even then it's less "Mission Impossible" and more "Tom Cruise Action Guy" stuff.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sneakers is still the best Mission Impossible film ever made :p

I've enjoyed most of the MI films, but only the first one and Ghost Protocol felt anything like the TV series (IE felt like a team rather than focusing on Tom)

Anwar and Tosk like this.
  20. Dar70

How so???