Strange New Worlds Season 2 Trailer

I remember when the first Disco trailers came out and everyone whispered excitedly in the press and online about the new aliens that looked genuinely alien.
Yes, Klingons as aliens was exciting.

This is more pedestrian. Workable, but hardly exciting.
I view the continued regression of the Klingons as a sort of microcosm meta-commentary on the current state and trend of the franchise. That is the continued stagnation of fresh artistic license in favor of continued promotion of stale familiarity, all in the name of appeasing a dwindling fan base.
Well put.

I'm glad we reached the end of "redesign existing things for the lolz" era.
What are you talking about? That's exactly what they did in this season when they decided to change the Klingon makeup again.

Of course, the speaking issue was objectively a problem,
I don't think it was the makeup, because when Tyler spoke Klingon he sounded the same.

What are you talking about? That's exactly what they did in this season when they decided to change the Klingon makeup again.
This will probably sound a bit ranty but it pop in to my head and I feel it warrants repeating. The whole "they're just redesigning because..." has been built in to the Trek design language. TMP is the most glaring example, and the excuse of "They explained it..." only applies to the ship. The uniforms were changed twice in as many years without explanation. The Klingon make up was changed multiple times, with multiple variations from TOS to TMP to TSFS to TUC. Was there explanations for those? What about the uniform changes in TNG from season to season? Ok, I'll stop there.

My point is, changes for the "lolz" is part and partial to the Trek design language. Things get changed and there is rarely an explanation given.

Looks good. Glad they ditched the Disco Klingons, hopefully those designs are never seen again except if you re-watch Disco seasons 1-2.

Kirk is still my biggest worry. He could derail or be a huge distraction if he’s in the show slot.

When it comes to continuity ... I'm just happy the Tolix steel cafe chair, a 1927 classic designed by Xavier Pauchard, is still popular in the 23rd century...
klingons1.jpg

1_ChaiseA_BVS_C.jpg

This will probably sound a bit ranty but it pop in to my head and I feel it warrants repeating. The whole "they're just redesigning because..." has been built in to the Trek design language. TMP is the most glaring example, and the excuse of "They explained it..." only applies to the ship. The uniforms were changed twice in as many years without explanation. The Klingon make up was changed multiple times, with multiple variations from TOS to TMP to TSFS to TUC. Was there explanations for those? What about the uniform changes in TNG from season to season? Ok, I'll stop there.

My point is, changes for the "lolz" is part and partial to the Trek design language. Things get changed and there is rarely an explanation given.
Translation: artists are going to art.

This guy is wearing the same head ridges seen in the leaked filming selfie. Guess that confirms he was indeed a Klingon.
image.png

hope the discovery designs still show up just to spite the haters.

No, this is a restoration.
Nope. It's backtracking when they didn't need to. It's not the 1960s or the 90's anymore. Let star trek evolve.

Now they just got to refit the Enterprise to look like in TOS for the series finale.
They didn't downgrade the D7, they're not going to downgrade the Enterprise.

Yup.

It was the best thing Disco ever did. Of course, the speaking issue was objectively a problem, but the mouthpiece could have certainly been tweaked between seasons.

I view the continued regression of the Klingons as a sort of microcosm meta-commentary on the current state and trend of the franchise. That is the continued stagnation of fresh artistic license in favor of continued promotion of stale familiarity, all in the name of appeasing a dwindling fan base.

Yeah, but also fixing mistakes.

Conceptually, changing the Klingons was great. The same makeup designer, working on STID, did a brilliant job of it there, and his published design variations included at least half a dozen that were more extreme but just as intriguing as the one they used.

upload_2023-4-19_15-20-48.png

upload_2023-4-19_15-19-44.png

But then, they went with something that sucked for STD. Par for the course.

Last edited:
Nope. It's backtracking when they didn't need to. It's not the 1960s or the 90's anymore. Let star trek evolve.
Disagree. TNG evolved from TAS and didn't have to change Vulcans to make them look more alien. Worf's Klingon ridges were an acceptable evolution of the TMP/ST3 Klingon appearance. As was adding just a ridge to the Romulans.

The 2260s-era Constitution I class single-handedly changed the course of history in the mirror universe. It ain't a downgrade. Sorry, haterz.

TOS Undershirt with a TNG (or TOS movie Era) collar?
image.png

TOS Klingons had pins like that, but they weren't on the neck
image.png

Later uniforms put them on the neck
image.png

The 2260s-era Constitution I class single-handedly changed the course of history in the mirror universe. It ain't a downgrade. Sorry, haterz.
I don't hate it, it's just outdated.

I wonder who does the trailers for the Trek shows? Because maybe it's just me (and I'm not commenting here about the quality of the actual shows, just the trailers), but this feels like a more polished and effective package than some of the other recent Trek trailers. It's got verve.

I also think the music is, oddly, a great choice. I was just listening to the audiobook of The Fifty Year Mission while driving to work before this popped up, and I was at the point where everyone talks about how the Enterprise title song happened, the effort that went into it, and how it more or less failed to do what it was intended. But I'm totally good with this for some reason (admittedly it's a different context).

When it comes to continuity ... I'm just happy the Tolix steel cafe chair, a 1927 classic designed by Xavier Pauchard, is still popular in the 23rd century...
klingons1.jpg

1_ChaiseA_BVS_C.jpg
You haven't sat in a chair until you have sat in one by an original Klingon.
I wonder who does the trailers for the Trek shows? Because maybe it's just me (and I'm not commenting here about the quality of the actual shows, just the trailers), but this feels like a more polished and effective package than some of the other recent Trek trailers. It's got verve.
It depends. Usually handed over to a specific team or company to edit together and put out.
Translation: artists are going to art.
Succinctly put.
It's not hate to think it looks dated.

The belt buckles are TNG/TOS Movie, but with the parallelogram shape of the TOS ones. Thought that could just be the camera angle giving them that shape.
ztIUibb.png

image.png

image.png

Back