Strange New Worlds Season 2 Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by gvn2fly, Apr 19, 2023.

1. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

The Disco Klingons were a Bryan Fuller thing. It makes sense that they'd go back to a more traditional look now that he's gone.

So far I've seen about a dozen comments on other sites saying "Kirk's from IOWA! He only WORKS in space!" like it's the most clever thing said by anybody since Mark Twain.

2. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

Not really? I said they looked silly and they slapped wigs on them. That was my impression and opinion on them. The fact the technical end of it was "oh they made the heads smaller" (by hacking the former heads to accomodate wigs or ponytails on them) didn't really change it.

I'm sure it was a sterling effort for all involved, but just not my cup of tea when we had a better series of relatively established "looks" prior to this.

From Dorn's own Shuttlepod episode he said how horrific the old makeup was, so its likely they've gone for easier designs for people going "in the chair." Seems to be a little bit more varied skintones too, which makes more sense.

saddestmoon, DEWLine and Markonian like this.
  3. Lord Hierarch

Lord Hierarch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Qoeth the raven :p.

I've responded to a bunch of those with "Its the future. Doors don't revolve anymore; they slide open."

Markonian likes this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Reference to Berman Era ships

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The makeup posted in those images was brand new, not from Season 1.

He left before Season 1 even started filming. Season 2 would have had a more drastic change if that was the case.

JRob94 likes this.
  6. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Hey, it's Yonge-Dundas Square! Doing a little shopping at the Eaton Centre?

DEWLine, Ovation and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, thematically it works -- we meet the Klingons in DIS S1 when they're at their most hostile, and they look extremely alien. They're still hostile but less so in S2, and they start to look a bit more familiar. Now in SNW S3, they're drinking with us and having a grand old time, and they look much more familiar and less alien.

8. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Looks to be a hot, naked and sweaty M’Benga too.
    392CD1C1-9822-4D88-A8BB-D1C812225B65.jpeg

Commander Troi and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  9. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ironic thing about DIS S1 Klingons - both the make-up, the ships & production design - always was that it was so uniquely distinct - if it were NEW aliens, they'd INSTANTLY would have become fan favourites!
    They just were not Klingon in the slightest.

Also - SNW clearly breaks canon, ignoring the augment virus, conflicting with TOS, DS9 and ENT (and now PIC as well, showing the original 60s Connie) and.... absolutely no one cares and can accept all versions simultaneously. Because the quality is good. Who would have thought.

10. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like Una's monologue about characters and journeys.

Looking forward to Carol Kane.

[​IMG]

11. Lord Hierarch

Lord Hierarch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ohhhh My.

Is Chapel there?

… Is Spock?

Finally, the true source of T’Prings discourse with Spock!

Once you go human, you can’t go back!

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure someone cares.

And I accept it, quality be damned.

JRob94 likes this.
  13. Rahul

My only complaint after this trailer is - Hemmer's absence is absolutely felt.

They had a good plan in season 1 with him & Uhura's arc. But with it, they accidentally killed their surprise break-out star.

Jedman67 and Interstella5555 like this.
  14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never thought I'd see Kirk in a Roots store on Yonge Street!

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nonsense.

I bet if you were to find a genre artist complete ignorant of all things Klingon, gave them a brief description, and then asked them to draw them like Giger, The end result would be pretty close.

Because what is and is not Klingon is mostly arbitrary, with only a few small quantifiers.

16. Rahul

Also: FINALLY the old/new Enterprise firing two phasers simultaneously in this weird, iconic V-shaped configuration! Yes!

I have been waiting for this since 2009!:guffaw:

17. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

I remember when the first Disco trailers came out and everyone whispered excitedly in the press and online about the new aliens that looked genuinely alien.

Then it was revealed they were Klingons and quite a lot of people yawned and a lot of "Legacy" fans got annoyed.

Rahul likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've added more windows the D7.

It did that in DSC Season 2.

Rahul and fireproof78 like this.
  19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I'm glad we reached the end of "redesign existing things for the lolz" era. Those Klingons and their outfits look amazing! I want to wear that in STO.

The overall theme/feeling from the trailer was fun/adventure, not dread. I missed that feeling.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup.

It was the best thing Disco ever did. Of course, the speaking issue was objectively a problem, but the mouthpiece could have certainly been tweaked between seasons.

I view the continued regression of the Klingons as a sort of microcosm meta-commentary on the current state and trend of the franchise. That is the continued stagnation of fresh artistic license in favor of continued promotion of stale familiarity, all in the name of appeasing a dwindling fan base.