Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Gary Bitchell

Gary Bitchell Lieutenant Red Shirt

I l ove TOS a lot, but the idea that their version of the Gorn was superior is hilarious.

JRob94, Sci, antinoos and 1 other person like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't Blu-Ray's usually have bonus content and such to make it more enticing?

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I didn’t say it was superior. I said it was better. There’s a difference.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Only if the main content is worth it.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fair enough.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. IRW Bloodwing

IRW Bloodwing Commander Red Shirt

All the people getting pissy about character deaths should realize that only Pike, Spock, Uhura, Chapel, M'Benga, Kyle and the Kirks have plot armor. And if this series does indeed turn into a soft reboot, then all bets are off...

8. Tuskin38

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If this means we get more TOS-style goofiness I'm ready for it. :cool:

10. Tuskin38

Mount says the lower decks crossover isn’t even the craziest episode in season 2

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That’s a bold statement. Glad they figured out how to have fun with the property again. It had become far too full of itself for way too long.

Noname Given, The Wormhole and drt like this.
  12. Belz...

"Pissy"? What's with the dismissiveness? I simply said that I felt losing my favourite character so early was a bad thing.

And what does any of this have to do with plot armor? The fact that a character _may_ die means one shouldn't feel bad about their deaths? Do you apply this logic to real life?

13. Tuskin38

I had a dream last night that they had released a trailer for Season 2, and one of the episodes was 1960s themed.

They were on an alien planet that was in their equivalent of the 1960s, and had their own version of Star Trek. Scenes set on the alien planet were filmed in 4:3 and shot similar to TOS.

Phaser Two, Mr Awe and Commander Troi like this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Galaxy Quest?

Commander Troi likes this.
  15. IRW Bloodwing

IRW Bloodwing Commander Red Shirt

I'm a firm believer in the JMS school of character where anything can happen to anyone at any time. The thought that a character could disappear at any moment only makes their on-screen time more special.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never watched B5 or any JMS show, but with a majority of TV shows, main characters aren't written off "at any time." Usually main characters only leave in either the first or last two episodes of a season, or in a midseason arc if the season is long enough to have such a thing. There are reasons for this, related to actor contracts and the fact that it makes the most sense to have major events like a character's departure to happen in episodes you know will have the most amount of viewers, so that they will see about it. Even on the rare occasions when a character is written out of a show at a different point in the season, everyone makes damned sure to hype the episode as a special event to make sure everyone's watching. Like when Rick left The Walking Dead, fifth episode of a sixteen episode season, but it was heavily promoted for two months prior that that would be his last episode.

Indeed, given actor departures tend to be announced several months in advance of when their last episode airs, meaning there is rarely ever a surprise character departure on television anymore and that 98% of the time, you can be guaranteed all the main cast will make it to the end. In fact, one of the reasons Hemmer's death flew under the radar and wasn't spoiled is because the actor is still under contract for the second season, meaning he is not in fact departing the show. He'll be playing a new character, though, but that's still not departing the show.

1987SpaceGuy, SJGardner and Tuskin38 like this.
  17. Tuskin38

That was known? I only knew he was coming back because he said he was coming back after the episode aired.

18. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

What a weird interview. :guffaw:

I love the way that the interviewer reacts to every Anson Mount comment with exaggerated nods and smiles. This guy should do After Trek/The Ready Room if Wil Wheaton ever becomes too expensive.

19. Belz...

So am I, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

And characters need time to breathe for their deaths to be meaningful.

20. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

The fact that Hemmer's death was painful for many of us speaks to how well the actor did. So I think the character breathed quite a bit in his short time. :)