Spoilers Strange New Worlds 1x01 - "Strange New Worlds"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Serveaux, May 2, 2022.

?

Rate the Episode

This poll will close on May 2, 2023 at 11:15 AM.
  1. 1 - Excellent

146 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. 2

80 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. 3

58 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. 4

12 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. 5

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. 6

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. 7

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. 8

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10 - Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a fine first episode, I liked where it was going.

Bay17 likes this.
  2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Talking about feelings is perfectly fine... when you're not currently fighting for survival with a deadline of a few seconds and should be doing something urgently! :D

On the new Mirror Rating Scale, right? :shifty:

Perhaps T'Pring asks him to shave it :D

It was a nice connection to him watching DTESS earlier - that probably gave him the idea.

It would be so funny if that's the reason! Colt was the first experiment, and it was permanent. Now she's trying temporary changes... :D
    And if it turns out it's simply too impractical, with eyes and ears reforming and things not lasting long enough, that's a good explanation why they don't do this anymore later.

No comic claims to be prime though ;)

Could mean they knew about Bajor and Cardassia, but decided to let them figure out their conflict before making contact. When did the occupation begin again? They did have Cardassian drinks in Kelvin 2258 though.

I'd also like to get more info on that

It's a new old function the transporter never had before. But later, it would explain why Picard tells the computer on his way to the turbolift what kind of clothes they need. Perhaps the E computer can do that.

I don't know anyone in real life I can talk to about it, no one has seen it :(

So much better :D

So maybe it's like the ghostly holocomm approach in early Disco - they decide against it, realigning it with established continuity.

I wonder how those people who recognize themselves or their signs feel about this :D
    You're in Trek canon now - as the bad guys! :D

3. brandnewfan

brandnewfan Commander Red Shirt

Loved it.

I can’t wait for episodic Trek!

Bay17 likes this.
  4. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

They used the road from the Wall to Dragonstone to get there faster

Belz... and Spike730 like this.
  5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I have no idea what any of that means.

Do you have a specific example? I noted that the writing isn't great, but I think you're exaggerating.

If I may make a suggestion, enthousiasm is not immaturity. Maybe we've gotten too used to grouchy, cynical or broken characters.

Sci, indranee and Amaris like this.
  6. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Commodore Commodore

it is? Damn! But why?!

as per my topic months ago, cardassia should be quite democratic and quite thriving at this time, it would be great to get to know it and see the fall.

indranee, Amaris and NCC-73515 like this.
  7. Belz...

Same here.

So you kept smiling for 8 minutes after you were done watching? ;)

Which one? DS9's theme was amazing, VOY's won an emmy and ENT's, like it or hate it, is not generic.

8. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Always been fascinated by Cardassia's backstory and would love to see the early days of their contact with Bajor (The occupation is still about 50+ years off)

DEWLine, Tosk and jackoverfull like this.
  9. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Commodore Commodore

i think he’s referring to the berman era *background* music, which was usually generic and serviceable. A are these titles. Or pretty much all Kurtman Trek titles but Picard season 1 and Prodigy.

10. Belz...

Well he was comparing SNW's title music to something so I assumed it was other titles.

11. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the things I noticed when watching Non Sequitar (VOY) today, Berman era accompanied just about ANY fight scene with these dark, eerie tones…. Such a weird choice.. when Harry and Tom fight a bit in the bar, the scene does not ask for any music, in fact: it would have worked 1000 times better without it. But there it is: almost horror-film music..! Say what you will about Kurtzman-era Trek, but the scoring has been fantastic: from DSC to SNW, from LDS to PRO..!

antinoos likes this.
  12. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering SNW is filled to the brim with Legacy characters you would hope the names would stick.

Amaris, PiotrB, antinoos and 2 others like this.
  13. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You do know that Uhura is a cadet fresh out of the academy and this set 5 years before TOS right?

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being defensive? You said something about me, to which I responded, just like before. Simple as that. I don't know what is reasonable to you, but I put a spoiler tag in so any reader would not (hopefully) be surprised or upset by what I hid under that spoiler tag. In a forum that allows for open discussion of spoilers for the thread's subject matter, then why would I put a spoiler tag over something that decorum allows us to openly discuss? Further, you chose to hit the spoiler tag.

15. Belz...

Yes because I assumed it was a spoiler about the topic of the thread, which I've seen, not a different series which the readers here might or might not have seen. My suggestion is that "Spoiler: Picard" would've been a more respectful choice.

16. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Moreover, I found them all likeable.

jackoverfull and Jadeb like this.
  17. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Understood, glad Trek revised the First Contact figure of 600 million, it sounds like a lot but its less than 10% of the population. It might take billions to die for humanity to try and get their shit together, cos we are that dense and ignorant

Never underestimate hate and the desire to kill the other side is a great motivator for inventions
    Or have three in a bed! ;)

Mr Awe and Amaris like this.
  18. valden

valden Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

some easter eggs as it wont surprise me since Alex Kurtzman is always trying hard to make star trek more like marvel and marvel are known for their easter egsg, but was that a Vokaya Necklace Tpring gives to Spock? the necklace kelvin Spock gave to Kelvin Uhura in Star Trek Beyond? I don't think it is a coincidence they look quite similar

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    jackoverfull likes this.
  19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

I think it's easier to assume the tech changes can happen offscreen during a refit or the invention of a new piece of tech than it is to assume a person can change their race. I mean we have seen in real life how tech has changed in our lives. My tv today looks different than the one I had in 1995. But I have not seen yet one person who is black but use to be white. Or someone who is a Asian but used to be Latino and so forth.

20. Belz...

Yes but that's not the kind of change we're talking about. For instance, if one wants to be a huge purist, the Enterprise Bridge in The Cage is essentially the same as in regular TOS, with minor alterations, while the one in DSC is completely different (and much larger) but is supposed to be in the middle of the two, and then changes quite a bit for SNW. The Enterprise also can't be the same ship because it's so proportionally different. We ignore these, not because they are particularily possible, but because we ascribe them to out-of-universe changes, while for some reason the ethnicity of an actor is very important.