Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - I'm sending the writers orchids!

31.9%
  2. 9

26.2%
  3. 8

15.7%
  4. 7

7.7%
  5. 6

5.1%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

4.5%
  8. 3

2.9%
  9. 2

1.6%
  10. 1 - Crash and burn!

2.2%
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Boy, I hope you're right about that. The Section 31 concept just doesn't sit well with me as a running series. It starts to become tiresome after a multi-episode arc within another series.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    Why would they avoid that? These are franchises made to make money. That is their reason to be.

And, even SW slowed its pacing down from a movie every year to every couple of years and now its focused more on Disney+ series.

So, maybe Trek can learn the right lessons.
    I think so too. I think shorter seasons will allow for more stories to be told and greater flexibility in what they want to do. I don't see this as a bad thing.

SolarisOne likes this.
  3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It might be kind of interesting if they turn it into something like a Mission: Impossible kind of scenario, where they're using super-advanced tech, psy-ops and social engineering to acquire information, rather than serve as the seedy pustule-filled underbelly of a dystopian and hypocritical Federation, which seems to be what it's become in every incarnation of its existence since DS9.

NCC-73515 and SolarisOne like this.
  4. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

S31 has been overdone big time at this stage. It worked when it was one guy showing up in the shadows to Bashir or whoever but now we get a mega battleship from JJ and a whole secret fleet in DIS.Too much exposure ruins the fun and the mystery (Similar problem with Borg) of a secret shadow organisation.

Also can we please bury the mirror universe for a while now too

5. fireproof78

I agree on the Mirror Universe but am still morbidly curious about S31.

Gonzo and saladdays like this.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Yeah the Mirror Universe always felt half baked to me.

S31 looks promising but I can understand why some would prefer to avoid it, its always been best used sparingly in other Star Trek, I am not so sure it will work as a basis for an entire series.

A lot is going to ride on the story arcs they have planned for it plus they have to bring back Georgiou from the future if she is going to be the main character.

Compare that to a Pike/Enterprise series which looks to me to be a sure fire winner based on what we saw of the characters (Pike, Una, Spock) in Discovery S2, still we could end up with both which is fine by me.

Hopefully the shut down will not affect the shows too much.

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for the first sentence, I agree with everything in this post. So you just saved me a lot of typing. ;)

Gonzo likes this.
  8. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

That first sentence was a bit of a generalisation so I will be more specific. :)

There were episodes that did it well but it always worked best in small doses, I was always up for MU but I must admit the extended MU trip we got in Discovery S1 put me off a bit.

It felt like it was too soon to break out the MU stuff, I think it would have been better to leave the MU and Shrooms for later seasons rather than cram them all in S1.

Most of the DS9 MU stuff was good and it worked well (I can't remember a bad one), same for the time travel episodes they did like Trials and Tribble-ations.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The ENT Mirror Universe episodes were the best since TOS. And still are.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The only mirror universe episode that I considered to be really good was the original. Going down from there, Discovery, Enterprise and Deep Space Nine. This might be the only thing in all of Trek canon that I think Enterprise did better than Deep Space Nine.

fireproof78 likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave my take on "In the Mirror, Darkly" (ENT), two years ago, in these two posts here and here.

I was posting as I was watching. The only two ENT episodes I've re-watched in 10 years. I tried to make my recap as entertaining as possible. "Wait a minute. You're not a fan of the show. You didn't rip it to shreds, did you?" No, no, nothing like that, don't worry. :p

I gave them a 6 and an 8 respectively.

Part I
    Part II

SolarisOne likes this.
  12. fireproof78

Same here. DS9 handled it horribly. And, to use a common argument I've heard 'round these parts, The TOS comics did the story better.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

If they reboot DS9, Section 31 would work better as legit black ops section of Federation intelligence not Starfleet intelligence. Make it like the IMF, a black ops answerable only to the President and a select few from the Federation Defense commitee

Llywela and Gonzo like this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Well my thoughts on the MU Enterprise episodes can be summed up simply.

I had completely forgotten about then until you brought them up. :shrug:

In fact I didn't even consider the series when I was walking down memory lane looking for MU episodes.

Make of that what you will.

15. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And not enough goatees for my liking

Gonzo likes this.
  16. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

This is a nitpick, but it has been bothering me.

The Romulan fleet's position is contradicted in this episode. Either they are in the atmosphere, where they can be seen with the visible eye from the surface of the planet, or, they are far above the surface of the planet, in deep space, where they would not be seen from the surface of the planet, as it is daytime and the androids do not have telescopes.

17. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

The sneaky get around is that androids do have really good eyes.

18. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I mean, it's just something that looks cool.

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

The section 31 series is a go. Michelle yeoh is a large star in many parts of the world and they want to use that aspect to expand the Star Trek audience. The only reason production on it was delayed was because she had a lot of other commitments that they were working around. She wants the series and they want the series. With the Covid-19 situation; I'm sure everything on CBSAA, and Hollywood production in general will be shuffled around; but I doubt they'll drop the Section 31 series; and I too hope we get a Pike series <--- But the latter depends on whether or not they can work out the details of getting Anson Mount to commit to returning.

PiotrB and DEWLine like this.
  20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So they want that "outside anglophone North America" audience. They're not going to turn their backs on it.