Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x11 - "The Wolf Inside"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 14, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Loved every minute of it!

30.9%
  2. 9

25.4%
  3. 8

19.9%
  4. 7

13.3%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

2.7%
  7. 4

2.7%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Hated every second!

0.4%
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

What was the point of that Tribble if not to use it to reveal Tyler?

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

A few more missteps and Detmer will use them to say Burnham's gone soft.

guyute03 likes this.
  3. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My problem isn't so much that, as it is the emperor's ship showing up so quickly. I mean, Trek ships have always moved at the speed of plot, but in Discovery they bounce around so quickly you'd think everything was in a single solar system.

Maybe it will turn out that the emperor's ship has a spore drive however. It was implied that mirror Stamets is in the spore network, and he may not be on the ISS Discovery in the prime universe.

Fateor likes this.
  4. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Well. she is a racist, xenophobic, murdering human. And she could be alt-right as well. :devil:

antinoos likes this.
  5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

They would likely keep the guy who can make ships jump from one point in space to another, in seconds, as close to the Empress as possible, for her own ship.

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it a lot, but not as much as last week's episode.

I am sure I would have liked it more if not for all the speculation (Voq theory, who the emperor is) being on target. Hopefully the mirror Lorca theory will turn out wrong.

Kind of expected the rebels to get crushed since by TOS time the Terran empire is still going good.

Loved seeing Andorians and Tellerites. More please!

So did Shazad play mirror Voq? I didn't see any actors listed for that in the end credits.

Really like Mirror Detmer.

Disappointed that mirror Saru is not bad ass. It seems like the regular Saru but looked strong when he grabbed and threw Tyler.

A little too much technobabble when trying to save Stammets. There will be more of that when they will try to resurrect Culber.

A lot of female writers on the Discovery staff. This episode was written by Lisa Randolph.

Markonian and lawman like this.
  7. Kevin Wolff

There had to be a real Tyler at one point. Either in captivity or on ice.

8. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

Ash Tyler doesn't have to be fake. He can be a real Starfleet prisoner who was mind-ripped of all of his memories and knowledge a la Errand of Mercy.

9. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I do really like the direction this series is taking. So far the plot "twists" have been predictable, but they have been handled well. I continue to enjoy all of the characters, and I like that they all get a fair share of attention. I am a happy fan.

10. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I kinda chuckled when Ash met Voq and they were different heights. I know they mentioned previously that his bones had been shortened, but it seemed even sillier to actually see it. But, hey, good attention to detail.

Too bad for Captain Pike and Vina that the Federation doesn't have this amazing scar-removing Klingon technology. They basically ground Voq up with a chainsaw and a wood chipper and, as we saw tonight, there's not a mark on him.

Spot261 and lawman like this.
  11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm pretty sure Discovery uses totally different CG software than Enterprise did, never mind more than a decade's difference in technology. Besides, the Defiant from IMAD isn't even the most faithful official 3D model of the TOS ship, and has a number of small inaccuracies (this page annotates them in detail), that I'm sure everyone would love to jump on. Even if the Defiant arguably looked better, the models used for TOS-R are more detailed, and probably are in a compatible format. Memory Alpha has a very comprehensive history on modern TOS CG models used on screen.

It's kind of funny, TNG-era Trek had a lot of visual continuity in ship design because it was easy to reuse physical models, to the point where it became an issue with Klingon ships being used for hundreds of years and things like that. Even as they transferred to CG, at first the CG houses were matching what had been done with miniatures, and then they'd settled in to using a couple of studios, so they did have libraries of 3D models they could reuses across shows.

Now, with such a large gap in time between ENT and DSC, they've pretty much had to start over. It's no longer any easier to use old designs than new ones, because either way new models have to be built, which is how we've ended up with such a radical visual revamp. I'm sure if the same incentives had existed in 1986, making it impossible to just reuse existing models, we probably never would've seen a single Excelsior, Miranda, Oberth, K'tinga, or Bird of Prey in the entire TNG era.

12. eschaton

Yeah. A lot of my issue with the show is I don't really get the idea that the writing room is that much brighter than an average fan of the show. Once the show "got into the groove" everything has been played pretty much as straightforward and on the nose as possible.

Then again, this is an issue in a lot of TV shows. A lot most consistently written speculative fiction style shows are those which are first based on novels, because the hard work of plot twists has already been done for the writing room.

lawman and Kevin Wolff like this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m sure there are ways to convert it to whatever they use. It may not be perfect but at least they will have the basic shape where they could add their nonsense to it.
    They’ll find a way to make it spin. :)

14. Kevin Wolff

Agreed. Thank the Lords of Kobol for The Expanse! S3 coming soon.

wonderstoat likes this.
  15. eschaton

Yeah. I was also thinking about Game of Thrones, which decreased markedly in writing quality as soon as they ran out of GRRM books to pillage.

Rhodan, mattyhugh and lawman like this.
  16. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad they got the Ash=Vok thing out of the way. The show has finally caught up to common knowledge. Too bad they didn't kill Ash.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'd love to see a Klingon mind sifter device for the first time onscreen. We know the Klingons use them a decade later and one is even used on Spock on Organia. Mind sifters could be the kind of tech that the Empire uses in extreme surgical procedures and undercover operations like the one performed on and used by Voq.

18. eschaton

They clearly have plans for him, at least through the end of Season 1 - possibly even further along if they want him to come back for next season. I can think of two possibilities.

1. They somehow "purge him" of the Voq persona, turning him into Ash Tyler fully (this would be lame, but he could settle into a long-term role on the show).

2. He finds some sort of emotional balance integrating his experience as Tyler with being Voq, and helps to craft some sort of armistice between the Klingons and the Federation in the last episode. If they go this route, his arc will be over and there will be no reasonable way he can stay on the show, as he will not be allowed to serve openly on the show into the next season.

Kevin Wolff likes this.
  19. Kevin Wolff

Yeah, they really screwed themselves there. I wonder of GRRM promised them he'd write faster (instead or much slower) because the math didn't add up even back when they first started the show. They had to know that either the show would fail or they'd be producing the show without source material at some point.

20. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I'll be really bummed if Ash continues next season but Lorca does not.