Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x11 - "The Wolf Inside"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 14, 2018.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Loved every minute of it!

30.9%
  2. 9

25.4%
  3. 8

19.9%
  4. 7

13.3%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

2.7%
  7. 4

2.7%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Hated every second!

0.4%
  1. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is! It has crazy small crew for ship of that size.

2. Feron

Feron Commander Red Shirt

Lorca doesn't tolerate slackers. He makes 'em work extra hard. ;)

The Memetic Susurrus and Vger23 like this.
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I hope the show resists the fanservicey urge to hereditarily connect a certain two MU Emperors with similar racial background.

I’m curious how MU Spock is XO on the Enterprise if Vulcans are hated.

4. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He made himself useful.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

It just occurred to me that this is starfleet/federation's first encounter with the Mirror universe since there was no crossover in the ENT episodes. I am surprised that nobody has complained about Kirk not being familiar with MU in Mirror Mirror. I guess it was not required reading at the academy during his time, later on we see that Bashir knew about it.

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose that would depend on whether anything was written about the Discovery's foray into the MU that a cadet/average member of Starfleet would have access to.

7. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There will be a single red shirt on duty, so when the power inevitably fails and the two escape they have someone to kill to show how evil and bad they are.

Longinus likes this.
  8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

My answer to that is:

1. For a show about identity, the mirror universe can be, and is being in these past two episodes, a brilliant sci-fi tool for exploring that concept.
    2. It is a commentary on our contemporary situation. A human government that hates the 'Other'. The feeling that not everything is 'right'. The requirement that you have to be a worse person than you are just to survive. Odds are you've heard someone say "We're in the darkest timeline." in the past year. Then this show goes there. That's important.

antinoos and Pindar like this.
  9. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

In other words, standard Starfleet security procedures. Required training materials at the Academy specify that there has to be at least one redshirt death at each prison break before any interventions can be made.

Grendelsbayne and oberth like this.
  10. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not quite as good as last week but still pretty good.
    My main issue was why did the medical team leave Stamets propped up in the chamber if they thought he wad dead. Shouldn't he have been taken to the morgue.
    There were a few things that seemed a bit stupid to me, but as the cast are so great, and I find it so entertaining I can forgive my nitpicks.

Beagleman and Vger23 like this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the Roman Empire many conquered nations were required to serve in the Legions of the Empire.

Ovation likes this.
  12. lab rat

lab rat Lieutenant Red Shirt

One of the best parts of the episode was how the writers handled the problem of Stamets being locked up by a force field while the Doc was killed outside the force field. Random power outage before anybody walked in to sick bay and saw the dead Doc. Frickin brilliant.

(Don't starships have redundant power systems?)

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Like I said, I LOVE all the fallout of Michael Burnham having to conform to the ways of this universe, and the psychological and metaphysical toll. I think it's the best thing the show has done so far.

I just think maybe they went there too soon.

Jadeb and Destructor like this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Empire might have thought it useful as a propaganda tool. "See, the Vulcans can be reasonable after all, look at this - the son of one of the most prominent Vulcan rebels has realized the error of his ways".

And Spock may have even provided the Empire with valuable intel regarding what was left of the rebellion - perhaps even enough to enable the Imperial Starfleet to finally squash it once and for all.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a great point. That's how I view it too. Continuity is fun, and so is trying to make stuff fit. But, it's only fun until it's NOT! And, if your driving yourself crazy as a fan trying to make stuff fit (and hating stuff that you can't make fit) then you're doing it wrong!

shapeshifter and CaptainMurdock like this.
  16. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thoughts exactly.

Vger23 likes this.
  17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you know that the poll indicates you voted this episode as a "1- Hated every minute of it?"

:mallory:

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Only on alternate Tuesdays

19. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Has anybody speculated yet that if Lorca IS from the MU, He is responsible for killing the MU Michael Burnham?
    (she was dispatched to hunt him down afterall)

It might be very convoluted, but a reason as to why he came to the Prime Universe to being with?
    The MU already knows the the Prime Universe exists thanks to "ENTERPRISE".

So he went Universe-Hopping to use the PU Burnham to destroy the MU Emperor Georgiou.

<shrug>

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We see the Admiral's flag ship in the Episode 12 preview, it looks like a literal space palace.

She didn't say that.

Current theory is the incident is classified with the Spore Drive.