Picard in the series has no charisma and authority

Well he's not acting in interviews.
It's a different type of performance, he's noticeably more animated and bouncy in interviews.

Obviously his voice is fucked because he's 80 and he's spent a life talking loudly in smoke-filled theatres.

His voice sounds aged to me, either in performance, or TV spots, or ads.

Regardless, this hyperfocus on this shows the trend of not wanting a Trek that reflects humanity but fantasy humanity.

Seven of Nine is now Borg again, so presumably Picard also transitioned back to his Prime body when Q returned them to the Stargazer.
Did you miss the part where Borg Jurati re-assimilated Confed Seven to save her life after the Borg Queen was taking over her mind?

Life is not a simple binary set of circumstances. Both things (relatively weaker voice as a consequence of aging AND playing it weaker still for the purposes of a given role) can simultaneously be true.

It sounds just as feeble in interviews as it does on the show. I think Patrick really mustered all his energy to give the "Belay that order" scene. So he can still get a bit of that old voice bit still not nearly the same.

I do like how picard is still concerned about Rikers career and that he still knows Riker can do the job.

It sounds just as feeble in interviews as it does on the show. I think Patrick really mustered all his energy to give the "Belay that order" scene. So he can still get a bit of that old voice bit still not nearly the same.
What happened to Patrick's voice? Some kind of health condition? I first noticed he seemed really weak sounding in the Dr. Strange movie. Maybe it's age too, but Shatner I believe still has a decent voice at 90 something.

What happened to Patrick's voice? Some kind of health condition? I first noticed he seemed really weak sounding in the Dr. Strange movie. Maybe it's age too, but Shatner I believe still has a decent voice at 90 something.

Yeah shatner does. He'll be 92 this March. It wavers slightly every now and then but man it's still pretty strong and when shatner talks you definitely know it's him.

Have you guys seriously never met someone in their eighties who no longer sounds like they did in their forties?

Shatner is the exception for being so robust and vital well into his ninth decade, not Stewart.

Have you guys seriously never met someone in their eighties who no longer sounds like they did in their forties?

Shatner is the exception for being so robust and vital well into his ninth decade, not Stewart.
It's not that they haven't met them. It's that their precious fantasy has been disrupted by reality and it's intolerable.

Reactions: Sci

I think it's more that Stewart was a stage actor so I assumed his voice was in stage ready shape. To be fair, I don't know if he still does any theater anymore.

What happened to Patrick Stewart? The age of 82 happened to Patrick Stewart. Jesus fucking Christ, it is incredibly inappropriate and ageist to call his voice "feeble" or be upset that he doesn't sound like he did thirty years ago. Absolutely shameful.
Dude, we're just concerned about his health. My grandparents had strong voices into their 90s (as in I heard them just fine even without hearing aids for someone born with a genetic loss) so not all of us witnessed an "obvious" voice weakness in old age and if we got it wrong we don't need to be publicly shamed like this post here geez. Not a single post here said anything bad about Patrick, just concern.

Dude, we're just concerned about his health. My grandparents had strong voices into their 90s (as in I heard them just fine even without hearing aids for someone born with a genetic loss) so not all of us witnessed an "obvious" voice weakness in old age and if we got it wrong we don't need to be publicly shamed like this post here geez. Not a single post here said anything bad about Patrick, just concern.

@Pubert 's posts have been extremely negative rather than concerned.

What happened to Patrick Stewart? The age of 82 happened to Patrick Stewart. Jesus fucking Christ, it is incredibly inappropriate and ageist to call his voice "feeble" or be upset that he doesn't sound like he did thirty years ago. Absolutely shameful.
Well, the whole thread feels like a diatribe against the nature of aging and why can't our heroes be ensconced forever as they are in our memories, rather than suffer the indignities of aging. It's an interesting sociological experiment.

Back