For All Mankind Trailer - Apple TV- SPOILER

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I figured it was a reactor of some sort, they may be expanding the base to have more people there. That way they don't have situations where someone is left alone for weeks.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they already did expand the people presence. The tv anchor referred to it as Jamestown Colony when before it was just Jamestown Base.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A colony is not going to happen without Russian cooperation or annihilation.

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I had a similar evil thought :)

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Few quick hits (posting from my phone):

As an historian, I love that the alternate history is not radical in a technological sense. The early Betamax is NOT a big deal. The slight advances in gear across the board are quite within expectations for a project that was continued rather than canceled. Deaths of real people who lived/are living well beyond the period enhances the “no one is automatically safe” aspect of drama and helps distinguish it as alternate history.

Production values are top notch. Cast is excellent and the family drama aspects are why the show has any chance of gaining an audience beyond those already inclined to watch “space shows”. As the parent of a boy just a bit older than Shane, that storyline was particularly heart wrenching.

Anyway, I have more thoughts but no more patience for phone posting so while it’s not a perfect show, it is among the best stuff I’ve watched in a while.

6. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

loved the first season of For All Mankind and very much looking forward to more.
    Kind of unsure about the big time jump in the finale though. (missing out on alt reality real world things IMO)

It looks cinematic, high production and with some fantastic acting talent.
    Dig all the Stevens "Space Couple" storylines.
    Would like if they touch a bit more on the (alt) history and social political elements in the broader sense with a bit more than just brief mentions.

7. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So season 2 is definitely going to start 10 years later. Will all the actors be aged up?

Sad we'll probably never see Pam again. Safe to assume Ellen took Deke's advice and did not out herself.

Will Gordo and Tracy still be together? Aleida may be wrapping up a PhD and may be asking Margo for a job.

You would have to assume that all our astronauts will still be astronauts, right? Kinda funny that some real world people died, but our fictional main characters all had plot armor.

I think we're going to see Mars in season 2. It may require another 2 years later time jump, or it might be the last scene in the final episode, but the whole point of those moon bases was to keep going, right?

If these guys get to Mars 30 or 40 years before us in real life, that'd be a bit of a bummer. Though if there's a 3rd season, I wouldn't mind yet another 10 year time jump, and we can all imagine what could've been in the year 2000 or 2010 or whenever. Might as well go full science fiction, and imagine just how much the world could've evolved differently over the same 50 year period.

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Easier to deal with fictional characters than real people - then you don't get accused of writing story lines that some claim diminish the real lifers. Plus they get in the way of advancing your fictional characters :)

And it's quite possible that many of them would still be astronauts. A few Apollo and Skylab astronaunts were still around to fly STS missions.

John Young flew as mission commander on Apollo 16 and 9 years later flew his 5th space flight as mission commander on STS1.

In the real world, many probably left the astronaut corp because the chances for them to fly became fewer and fewer and there was good money to be made for people with their experience in the private sector.

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

John Young's first flight was on Gemini 3 with Gus Grissom (the first manned Gemini mission) in 1965. His last flight was the STS-9 shuttle mission in 1983. He continued to work at NASA until his retirement n 2004.

10. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking through recent spacemen (ignoring superhuman John Glenn's trips in 1962 and 1998), the biggest gap I can find from first spaceflight to last spaceflight is Yuri Malenchenko, who has been on various missions in space starting in 1994 and ending in 2016. There may be a bigger career than 22 years, but I wasn't able to find a direct answer, so I kinda had to poke around some individual pages. And of course, that's not counting the years he spent in cosmonaut training before 1994.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Malenchenko

So our main cast could certainly still be astronauts 10 years later. And one or two of them could even still be flying for a potential 3rd season. There have been a ton of astronauts over 50, here's a list claiming to show the oldest:
    http://www.oldest.org/people/astronauts/

The 6 people on the space station right now are:
    40, 42, 43, 43, 50, 53

The next 3 people scheduled to launch are 37, 50, and 50. Seems like that 37-year-old is one of the youngest to go up in the last few years.

Digging even deeper, looking at the current ages of our cast:
    Joel Kinnaman (Ed Baldwin) is 40
    Michael Gorman (Gordo, who will probably never go up again, though you never know) is 38
    Sarah Jones (Tracy) is 36
    Jodi Balfour (Ellen Waverly) is a mere 32
    Krys Marshall (who plays astronaut Danielle Poole) doesn't have an age listed, though she doesn't look super old.
    Sonya Walger (Molly Cobb) is 45.

Assuming season 2 takes place in the 80s, are they going to use makeup to age all these characters up? I think we can all accept that actors frequently look better (and sometimes younger) than us normal folks, but if we're jumping forward a full decade, our characters ought to look a little different.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apple TV+ is streaming some titles for free right now, including this one.

Ovation likes this.
  12. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I am currently rewatching the series, and just noticed in episode two "He Built the Saturn V", during the congressional hearing, there is a very short segment where von Braun is describing the Sea Dragon booster to the panel, he even has a small model that he shows. The segment is part of the televised coverage of the hearing, so we see and hear it indirectly on someone’s TV, one of those blink-and-you’ll-miss-it things (and I did on my first viewing.)

Tuskin38, Ovation and The Nth Doctor like this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The Comic Con at Home panel just dropped:

nightwind1 and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  14. The Nth Doctor

Season 2 trailer was at the end of the wonderful panel, but here it is separately:

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well, apparently I totally missed the entire post credit Sea Dragon scene until just now!
    I'm starting to develop a love/hate relationship with post credit scenes. Either I remember to wait and there's nothing, or I forget and miss something cool!

I wonder if they're going there, are we going to see a version of the Orion at some point too? Or some other interplanetary nuclear pulse propulsion? One would think if they keep jumping forward in time a Mars or even Jupiter expedition is inevitable.

Push The Button likes this.
  16. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I hope not. Orion never rubbed me the right way. The Sea Dragon was great - a post S.V rocket to launch huge colony modules, that's fine. But what do you use orion for, if you have BDR launches already?

The shuttle...personally one of my personal gripes as well; I would had hoped to have seen something like ICARUS or the Phoenix SSTO; but ah well. Pushing the early 80s tension and Reagan's aggressive stance against the USSR on a spatial background could go a ways, that's for sure. Far more easier to have Star Wars as well if you're already on and about the moon.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Any date suggested for the next season?

18. The Nth Doctor

Nope, they didn't say anything, nor did they mention whether or not they finished filming. They mostly talked about the first season, although the final panel with Moore talked about the way forward.

19. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I’m happy that the shuttle exists in this timeline as well, I was waiting for even a passing mention of it during the first season. The concept dates back to 1969, and the program formally began in 1972. The Enterprise approach and landing tests took place in 1976. I guess all of this work just gets pushed back a few years in the show due to the focus on an extended Apollo program and lunar base project.

I’m really really hoping for a shuttle named Enterprise that actually makes it into space this time.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  20. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great trailer, but did I just see a space shuttle flying in space with its cargo-bay doors closed and on its way to the moon?