For All Mankind Trailer - Apple TV- SPOILER

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Jun 3, 2019.

1. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Aleida will actually be deported( I doubt the flight director of NASA has power to stop that) unless Ted Kennedy has done or will do a DREAMERS type thing.

But the questioning of her Father indicated Soviet communication with Mexican nationals. Maybe Mexico becomes a Communist state and forms an alliance with the Soviets. Could lead then to her being part of the Soviet space program in the future.

2. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see it that way. First off, the Soviet Embassy in Mexico was a place that got a lot of traffic back then. The show mentioned Oswald, but it's also the place where Daulton Lee made contact with the Soviets. Lee was the "Snowman" in the book, and later movie, "The Falcon and the Snowman". I could certainly see the Russians trying to subvert any illegal aliens working in any governmental office but probably getting them with threats of deportation or payments of cash, rather than any ideological basis.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  3. ISS-Magnum

ISS-Magnum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great season finale.
    Don't miss post-credits scene!

4. element7ero

element7ero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the heads up :)

5. E-DUB

Indeed. Was that a NERVA? Is there going to be a "time jump"? Lotta questions but great finale.

nightwind1 likes this.
  6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

nightwind1 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Holy shitballs, that was a stellar season finale.

I was really on the edge of my seat during that risky maneuver at the end (and I loved how Margo told Weisner to fuck off!).

Every minute of this episode was emotional. From Gordo and Tracey reuniting (and seemingly healing their broken marriage, even if it's not entirely fixed) to Pam desperately trying to connect with Ellen while she was in danger so far away. My heart broke for Ellen when she came out to Deke and he predictably responded in the backwards way he did, but at least he wised up in the end (even if that turnaround was also predictable).

As for the time jump, I hope that's only a tease for what's to come because otherwise that might mean a big shift in the cast (although it would allow them to age up Aleida). I don't want to lose anyone in this terrific cast, even the Baldwins.

Between this show and The Morning Show's banger of a series finale, Apple has two excellent shows on their hands and it's no wonder they already renewed both of them.

element7ero and Push The Button like this.
  8. Push The Button

Gene Cernan mentioned in this episode. Cernan was lunar module pilot on the real Apollo 10 mission, which also flew-close-to-but-didn’t-land-on the moon. (Ed and Gordo flew the LM in the Apollo 10 mission in this series, but apparently they aren’t substituting for Cernan and Tom Stafford in this reality like I thought they were.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  9. E-DUB

10. Push The Button

Curious Droid produced a short video about it, which is where I remembered it from:

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Everbody Wants To Rule The World started playing I was waiting for a timejump because the song came out in the mid 80's. But then we saw credits until the jump to '83. Ron Moore gave an interview with IGN and confirmed it was a Sea Dragon rocket.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...-credits-sea-dragon-rocket-time-jump-season-2

I found the line referring to expansion of the Jamestown COLONY interesting. Wonder how large and how many people are up there.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

"You can either stay out of my way or fuck right off.. those are your options!" :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I'm celebrating this line so hard right now.. best line of the episode. So much for my theory that she hast lost face and trust after she was overruled by the team in last episode, that line regained and expanded her position as Flight Director and it was awesome :D

A really great season finale and i can't wait for season 2. Freeze posted the IGN article already which i was about to do and i agree with Moore on their harder story decisions, especially about Deke not immediately coming around and be best pals with a Lesbian. However he realized his own shortcomings and gave her very good advice and maybe even a bit of hope because basically he admitted that his feelings towards homosexuality may not be right, he can't change but as the world is changing future generations might come to accept it - the same as it happened and is happening in our reality where it took decades of constant struggle to get where we are right now but it's still not over in the entire world as there are enough places where being homosexual might even get you killed.

The drama was intense, for a moment i thought her safety line broke off when she went after the fuel tank but it didn't.. i like happy ends sometimes, the last 2 episodes were dark enough ;)

I also loved the interaction between Ed and Mikhail.. you can see that it is hard to hold your prejudices when you actually meet the people you hate and realize that while they speak another language and have other customs there are still things that unite us all, in this case music. It was a good showcase what could be done if we just put all our prejudices aside and start working together.

It would have been amazing if Ed actually told the entire story to the world (maybe exclude the parts where he sucked out the oxygen to scare him or when he punched him :D ) as proof that peace is possible if we just talked to each other.

Anyway, awesome first season and now we wait for season 2.

13. E-DUB

Watched that video on the "Sea Dragon". It states that one reason that the project was never green-lighted was that we didn't have the need for a launch vehicle with that kind of carrying capacity. Clearly not so in the FAMverse. Wonder what differences there might be in the larger geopolitical arena. Are we still competing with the Russians or, perhaps due to the efforts of Edward and Mikail, cooperating. (IRL, the Apollo-Soyuz mission took place in 1975.)

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And again
    the show kills off another real-world NASA figure. Being a real world figure on this show is to be a redshirt.

I don't like the way Ted Kennedy is portrayed as self-serving as Nixon. It's like the writers forgot they changed presidents.

Jumping forward to the 80s actually sort of diminishes my interest in the show. They set up all these things which haven't paid off, like what the Russians are mining. It's a little too mystery box for me if they jump forward and make a backwards comments to explain it away. We'll see.

15. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I guess if there's mining on the moon and seadragon launches I guess they're not doing much in Earth orbit so possible no Skylab/Mir/ISS and no spaceshutle.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So the Uranium in that playload. Is it for an engine? A nuclear reactor for the base? For weapons on the moon?

17. E-DUB

For sure no Skylab. It was mentioned that the Saturn V stage intended for that project was diverted for lunar usage. Of course, that doesn't mean that they might not have used a later one for Earth orbital purposes. I wonder about the profiles for long-term lunar habitation, on both the US and USSR sides, without some kind of Earth orbiting facility, particularly moving into the eighties.

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dialog specified...
    expanding Jamestown. So, not a rocket engine. Most likely a nuclear reactor. Could be weapons but, then, I'd think weapons or missiles would have been mentioned specifically. When in casual conversation someone would probably say nukes instead of uranium when referring to weapons.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  19. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Phone died the other day so I got a shiny new one and... a free year of AppleTV+.

Just finished the first season, man, that was really good. As some have mentioned, the stuff on the home front sometimes dragged a bit. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to seeing next season!

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  20. Push The Button

September 13th, 1999 ...

nightwind1 and Shawnster like this.