DC Comics - Ongoing Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Savage Dragon, Jun 3, 2015.

1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a special thing on all their books this month celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Joker.

2. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

Oh, I see.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, that is indeed the reason. I think all the big titles have the variants.

4. Savage Dragon

So I read a few new issues last night.

• Aquaman: I was a bit disappointed with this issue. I didn't realize there was going to be a change in the creative team. The story wasn't bad but I really didn't like the art.
    • The Flash was pretty good. I'll be interested to see what they do with Professor Zoom. I'm not sure I like the tweaks to Flash's uniform though.
    • Justice League 3001 is just a continuation of the previous series. I don't know why they had to change the title. The art was solid as usual and I find myself still entertained by the creative team, although I don't find their humour quite as funny as I did on their Justice League run back in the day.
    • Green Lantern Lost Army: I felt a little lost reading this even though I am all caught up on all the previous Lantern titles. Hopefully they will fill in the gaps.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm not crazy about the new direction of Aquaman either.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Happens when you have an editorial regime change. These are the same guys who thought Finch on WW would be a good idea btw. Getting rid of Parker was an inevitability his editor moved to the batbooks. But everything I was afraid of finally happened.

7. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

Well, I called it, this month's issue of Action Comics was Justice. I figured there was a theme going on there. Anyway, so far so good. This story line is pretty good so far.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The direction change on Aquaman is something that has been planned and teased for the past year or so since Geoff Johns left the book. It's probably the one thing that I've not liked since after the move. Everything else I've picked up has been good to excellent so far.

9. Savage Dragon

Yup. I'm digging it.

10. Savage Dragon

Anybody pick up Cyborg this week? I thought it was off to a pretty good start.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel very cynical about the current storyline in Batman.

Don't get me wrong. It's an interesting development, and a short-term one at that. I think I'm more interested in the "healed" Bruce Wayne than in Jim Gordon as Batman, and I like that Bruce has found something constructive to do and a girlfriend, too.

But I can't help but feel this is all part of a larger plan Batman set in motion prior to "Endgame" to root out some deeper corruption in Gotham City, like he knew he needed to take himself off the board for a time so something could assert itself and, once it was revealed, he will spring the trap and destroy it. In other words, Snyder is giving us the polar opposite of Morrison's Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, but we'll end up in the same place when all is said and done.

On top of that, I have this feeling that the revelation of Batman's ultimate plan in issue #43 -- and the device he built -- is going to factor in at the climax of the story. To that end, I have two working theories.

The first is that Julie Madison's bearded boyfriend Bruce is really one of Bruce's clones.

The second is that Julie Madison's bearded boyfriend really is Bruce and, when something terrible happens to Julie, he'll need to use the machine to "restore" himself as Batman so he can avenge her. (In other words, this is much like Doctor Who's "Human Nature" two-parter, and Bruce built himself his own Chameleon Arch. He'll have to give up new and happy life because he needs to do the thing that only he can do -- be Batman.)

I also cannot dismiss the thought that there was nothing coincidental about Julie's appearance on Bruce's doorstep in the flashback. And I don't really like that thought.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think the "Superheavy" story line is a fun but predictable "replacement Batman" story line like we've seen before several times now. At the end of the arc, Bruce will use his convenient Batman brain scan to re-become himself and Gordon will hang up the suit and we won't see it again regularly anymore.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Boy, this thread went dead lol. I was just thinking about DC Comics today I realized that there's only TWO books I actually care about anymore: Batman and Justice League. The rest of it has just been so disappointing and un-involving. It's a such change from the mid-2000s when DC Comics is what got me back into comics with SO many amazing titles. Does everyone else feel this way?

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm only reading Earth 2 and Starfire, personally. DC has been pretty bad since the reboot, but I think they're at an even lower point right now. I still love the old characters, but I really don't acre about anything they're currently doing in comics, outside of what I'm reading. In October they're publishing a few 12 issue series, and of those Titans Hunt and the Superman book with the pre-reboot Superman are stuff I'll definitely try, but overall the universe is mostly dead when it comes to stuff I want to read.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I missing where they are hiding Booster Gold?

He (or "hes", the plural of He) played a big part in Coherence.

So, where the #### is he?

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm still reading a few books...about to drop more. as much as i love Batman Beyond i'm not sure how farther i can follow the current title. its BB in name only really.

and Earth 2 Society...good god. that book is terrible. i'm still reading cause i love JSA stuff and have been reading those books since the early 2000s relaunch.

17. Admiral_Young

I've actually been enjoying it..the Brother Eye story arc is coming to a conclusion and then the book will be what most are expecting of it. I loved the last issue and the reveal that Gordon's suit was the prototype suit for what will become Terry's eventually.

"Batman" has been fantastic as well.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying it, but I also see how it will end. :(

19. Admiral_Young

^ Of course we do. That's part of the fun of it for...is how Snyder is going to get himself out of this situation and part of the pain of seeing Bruce actually happy for once. I read what you stated above...this doesn't take away any enjoyment of it for me though. Only fascinates me how we're gonna get to what Snyder has teased. He's also stated that this arc is the starting point for his "final story" done in Detective 27...the device he built was ultimately paid off in that story.

20. Savage Dragon

I'm enjoying the new Superman arc in all his books and I am really digging what they are doing with Hal Jordan right now. Even Lost army has me curious. I'm also enjoying Justice League and Batman.