Bring back Star Trek: Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Raj, Jul 18, 2020.

?

Do you want Star Trek: Enterprise back?

1. Yes (Please sign the petition)

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. No (If you want, please explain why)

35 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Maybe (If you want, please explain why)

9 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Other (If you want, please explain why)

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enterprise has the most bland uninspired casting out of all the ST shows.

While not a bad show, the writing was lazy. There was never any real consideration given to the tech-limitations of the era the show was set in. It eventually just became a formula we had already seen many times before.

Do not want it back. It should have never been made.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine the best that can hoped for at this point, is an Enterprise cast member or two appearing on Strange New Worlds.

Presumably set decoration like the NX-01 featuring among portraits of past ships named Enterprise, will occur. "In a Mirror, Darkly" had the U.S.S. Defiant's briefing room wall with hanging paintings for instance.

There's the small matter of Enterprise writing staff intending Admiral Archer live long enough to attend the NCC-1701 christening ceremony, before passing away the next day. While SNW is set during the Constitution class ship's second Captaincy with Christopher Pike, it's not hard to see how he might've risen through the ranks, and served with Robert April since the U.S.S. Enterprise's launch. So a flashback to Pike's first being assigned to the ship might not be out of the question.

I admire the spirit of this petition and took part in the original Save Enterprise campaign some 16 years ago, but I have to wonder, if campaigning to get Scott Bakula do the handover between previous and new Enterprise set show, might not be a more achievable goal. Achieve that small crossover, and maybe one thing will lead to another... You seed a potential continuation, with an appearance that poses more questions than it answers. If the reaction is better than the "prized beagle" reference in the 2009 movie, maybe we'll get our new finale, TV movie, or at least, a Short Trip. I mean, Trek! Short Trek!

Let Archer do an "Admiral McCoy" tour of the ship on her maiden voyage, because she's got the right name... and because what's so troublesome about not having died?

Send your begging letters to Alex Kurtzman... :hugegrin:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Raj likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, maybe start small and see if Bakula even wants to come back?

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would've killed to see a Robert April inspired USS Enterprise series than "ST: Enterprise" filled with fresh adventures and exploring a canvas which has never been seen before.

5. Raj

Raj Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

942 people have signed the petition. We only need 58 more signatures to reach 1,000. Tomorrow is Star Trek Day. Lets show them we want Star Trek: Enterprise back. #BringBackStarTrekEnterprise #StarTrekEnterprise #StrengthInNumbers

CaptainJonathanArcher likes this.
  6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh please B&B screwed over the character of Montgomery Scott by turning him into a doddering old fool to make Geordi look smart. In TOS he spent his spare time reading tech journals - so yeah don't tell me when he's in the 24th cenntury with new tech, he's not going to take a look and get interested to know how it works - they have him moping around and nearly electrocuting himself, and almost blowing up the warp core before Geordi 'saves the day'.

They had Captain James T. Kirk killed by a %$#$% bridge and not ever take command of a star ship to save the day - which was a TRADEMARK of his character in TOS (he was lauded as an amazing star ship captain). They made Sulu a glorified extra in a terrible Voyager episode and the way it was written it shows they never bothered to really watch the film (STVI:TUC). They did treat Spock semi-decently, so yeah, they were on for four.

My point: B&B were hardly fans of TOS and their contempt for anything non-TNG (which was their heyday of success) was showcased in the abomination that was TATV. In general people returning to something 10-15 years later always want a new take and to put their 'spin' on what came before. Sometimes it turns out well, sometimes not.

7. RedAlert

RedAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I want ENT back?
    Absolutely yes, please!

ChristopherPike and Raj like this.
  8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, let's get something straight here.

"Relics" was a Season 6 TNG episode. During this time, the day-to-day showrunner was Jeri Taylor, with Michael Piller showrunning DS9 S1 while Berman oversaw both shows. Brannon Braga was a TNG staff writer, and was not the showrunner of TNG the way he later became for VOY and ENT.

"Relics" was not written by either Berman or Braga. Rather, it was written by TOS superfan Ronald D. Moore. And the entire point of the episode was that Scotty was in a bad emotional place because of his, y'know, having lost everyone and everything and his entire life as he had known it, and that was why he had acted somewhat unprofessionally -- and that La Forge was just as wrong and just as unprofessional to give him the brushoff the way he did.

Only when both sides admitted fault and both sides started showing respect were they able to save the day.

That's not disrespectful to the Scotty character -- that's telling a more compelling story about Scotty than TOS ever did, frankly.

What the hell does that matter? Kirk died a hero. Fanservice does not equal respect. And it was Moore who made the decision to kill Kirk, not Braga.

The VOY episode was fine and Sulu was treated with respect.

9. Raj

10. Raj

991 people have signed the petition. We only need 9 more signatures to reach 1,000. #BringBackStarTrekEnterprise #StarTrekEnterprise #StrengthInNumbers

11. ChristopherPike

The Pike-era spin-off, Strange New Worlds, feels like the only way to revisit any unfinished business from Star Trek: Enterprise right now. But the fact they almost considered riding roughshod over what little legacy it has, by reusing its title for their series, perhaps tells me everything I need to know about how the cancelled show is regarded among those producing it.

I'd be astonished if they saw doing some sort of acknowledgment of Enterprise in Strange New World's first episode, as a nice touch, and even more staggered if a cast member got the call to do that passing of the baton.

Having said all that, here's hoping...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    DarKush and Raj like this.
  12. Raj

1,001 people have signed the petition. We only need 499 more signatures to reach the next goal of 1,500 signatures. The petition is free to sign.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also hope there is a passing of the baton from ENT to SNW. I was disappointed that we didn't get that with DISCO. It would've been very nice to see T'Pol, Soval, Shran, or Phlox, the ENT characters I think would be the easiest to do a cameo with. DISCO came across as a series that was a successor to ENT's third season, and perhaps DS9's Dominion War arc, so I don't think there's a great tonal or aesthetic disconnect between ENT and DISCO. When I once read or heard someone suggest that DISCO worked better as a sequel to ENT than as a prequel to TOS I instantly got what they were saying. It calmed some of my own gripes about DISCO when I see it from that perspective.

14. CaptainJonathanArcher

CaptainJonathanArcher Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Only if they bring back Rick Berman, Brannon Braga & Manny Coto!

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

They've all moved on to other things.

16. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Why would we need any of them back? Even with the episodes written by Coto from mid-S3 onwards, I can see room for improvement.

17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

They had the USS Shran in the very first episode of DISCO. They already had an appearance by Sarek. Any more would have been overloaded.

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. ChristopherPike

A combination of fresh blood creatives and legacy characters, brings new perspective and would maybe fulfil some of potential Enterprise cast members had. That's why Manny Coto managed to turn around so much so late in the day. They certainly had great chemistry together from the start, but Berman and Braga's writing often didn't always play to those strengths, making the atmosphere a bit dull & humourless. Trip Tucker was a great catalyst for livening up scenes, but clearly seeing these guys together on convention panels - the likes of Billingsley and Keating were equally good personalities, while their onscreen personas were often pushed far into the background.

If it ever happened (which the chances are always more against than for) the challenge would be to make the fanbase (beyond the show's hardcore) conclude that they never realised how much they actually liked the NX Enterprise crew.

I mean you look at how much myth was built around some of those in the Original Series, who truthfully actually saw very little development onscreen, and often nothing that deserves such reverence, until you get to the works written by fans in-between the cancellation and the feature-films.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice nod to Shran. Sarek wasn't on ENT so him being on SNW would have nothing to do with passing the baton from ENT to SNW. And we will have to disagree on what defines an overload.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they could have afforded one other reference to ENT and it could have been OK. Maybe.