• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Best and worst recasts

  • Thread starter Laura Cynthia Chambers
  • Start date
Best recasting : Anson Mount as Captain Pike.
Worst recastings: All the Scottys in Kelvin Movies and SNW. They made Scotty a slapstick character what he never was.
 
Best recasting : Anson Mount as Captain Pike.
Worst recastings: All the Scottys in Kelvin Movies and SNW. They made Scotty a slapstick character what he never was.
????
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
Best recasting hands down for me is Anson Mount for Captain Pike. I never did like Jeffrey Hunters performance. He was too dour and low energy for my taste. That first pilot failing was in my view a blessing. A close second would be the new Chapel.

Worst recasting for me,again hands down, is Cumberbachs Khan. I lost interest in the movie the moment he revealed his identity. Nothing against the actor, but he was completely wrong for that part. If they had cast Benetio Del Toro, we are having a different conversation.
Naveen Andrews would have been quite credible.
 
I just remembered that Adrienne Barbeau replaced another actress on who played a Romulan senator on Deep Space Nine.
Good catch. Adrienne Barbeau can do no wrong in my book, but I'll have to go back and watch the two performances back to back.
 
I am currently rewatching "The Next Generation" season 2 and I truly dislike Dr. Katherine Pulaski. I can't wait to see Dr. Beverly Crusher in season 3 again.
 
I am currently rewatching "The Next Generation" season 2 and I truly dislike Dr. Katherine Pulaski. I can't wait to see Dr. Beverly Crusher in season 3 again.
Diana Muldaur is a wonderful actress, and it's great to have someone that had several appearances on the original series show up on TNG. But I totally agree. I could never stand Pulaski, and it was such a breath of fresh air when Crusher returns.
 
Which recastings in your opinion were the best and which were the worst (older, younger, and alternate reality versions of characters count too)?

I'm too stuck on Kirstie Alley for any other Saavik as such (nor did I see her interpretation first!), Robin Curtis understandably added her touch instead of just mimicking the OG Alley version, and Kim Cattrall (originally considered for Saavik!) would have had to fight the namesake what with all the previous people playing the part profusely on top of everything else that would also be distracting from the movie*. Now imagine a revolving door of Saavtresses or for any other character... oh my...

There's only one and only Leonard Nimoy. Or Tuvok for that matter. But recasts in later outings aren't bad. Nimoy's OG model he helped handcraft is what truly set the stage.

Of anyone else, Karl Urban is the closest to really nailing McCoy.


* So instead, we get a late-day character addition for which we can all guess she's going to be a baddie and right we were, but they were right to ditch "Saavik" the name as it would have derailed more than it would have helped and only Curtis would have been able to get around audiences' sitting there merrily mulling maniacally over it all.​
 
I am currently rewatching "The Next Generation" season 2 and I truly dislike Dr. Katherine Pulaski. I can't wait to see Dr. Beverly Crusher in season 3 again.

Beverly was iconic to the crew even if inconsistently or poorly used (she has worse material in seasons 5 and 6 than season 1, but some dramatic gold in 3 and 4 and a little of 7 of TNG's original run IMHO), but I adore Pulaski because of her season-long arc in growing to appreciate and even love Data. As well as being boisterous and at loggerheads with Picard.

While Pulaski had a fear of transporters and one or two other McCoyisms/tropes, never once did she memberberry it up with "I'm a doctor not a ____" shtick. It's the EMH that initially grated for me because that's all his dialogue did, remind me of better shows and moments. Fast forward a while and Robert Picardo, when not aping and doing far worse what Pulaski never did, actually saved the day - brilliant casting in making the EMH more than the sum of the parts as well as dialogue to make him better, even if the treknobabble dialogue could be so loose and inept at this point. And he too did some of the cantankerous McCoyisms.
 
I was being tongue-in-cheek there. It's quite possible they simply didn't want to recast the character, but I've never heard anything official.
 
Had to think about it for a while. Worst? Zoe Saldana as Uhura. Heck of an actor, but she just didn't work for me in the role.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top