Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's Tsai Chin, who played Ming-Na Wen's Aunt in the Joy Luck Club. She's not listed on imdb, so I wonder if it was uncredited to preserve the surprise.

ETA: Beaten to it

No idea she was in You Only Live Twice. She "killed" James Bond!

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Son of a gun...I never would have known she was the girl from the YOLT pre-credits scene if I hadn't read it here.

"Why do Chinese girls taste different from all other girls?"

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what you're saying. It sounds like you're pointing at Coulson being a HYDRA agent prior to Iron Man. If not, Fury clearly trusted Coulson in the movies (which I was stating in my post) and from what we saw, he only started keeping tabs on him after altering his mind.

It doesn't have to be, the show isn't just called SHIELD. I'm picturing A-Team meets X-Files in the MCU.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The great thing about this country is that we have the protected legal right to say and do things that make people look at us funny.

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, people remember that dialogue, but you can't expect everyone to post word for word script of the whole episode.

6. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Coulson was assigned to Stark BEFORE Stark let the world know he was Iron Man. Remember Coulson was assigned to investigate a simple kidnapping and the case may have been a low priority. Remember that Fury became directly involved in Iron Man 2 and even assigned Black widow as a deep cover agent. That seems to imply that he DIDN'T trust Coulson.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Awwwww. I love Patton. :(

I was kinda hoping he'd just shoot Ward right then and there.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You would think that considering someone stole their Skye, that the Serenity theme song would have come into play at some point in the episode?

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Regarding Coulson's popularity-- he's the only reason I started watching the show, because he was one of the two things I liked about Avengers.

It was great to see Amy Acker, though I was surprised that Coulson didn't reveal himself to her. It makes sense that he wouldn't, though, and at least it snapped him out of his anger at May. It was painful to watch him being depicted so childishly. But, of course, now May has walked out in a huff-- also out of character-- so the angst must continue. Forced conflicts are a hallmark of "dark" storytelling.

Skye's reactions to figuring out Ward and then coming to grips with it were great. The actress did a wonderful job. Now I wonder what she will do next-- she wanted to get something before they left but Ward wouldn't let her. Was she just trying to get away or was she hoping to leave a message or get her laptop or something?

I didn't realize that May's mom was a Bond girl. That's fantastic.

The Fitz-Simmons-Triplett triangle is amusing. I really hope they aren't stupid enough to make Simmons a HYDRA agent. As unmotivated as Ward is, Simmons would be even worse.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I'd call that a radical interpretation of the text.

First-off, the fact that SHIELD even wanted Stark debriefed indicates that they already knew something was up. Maybe the Ten Rings were already on their radar, maybe a drone or one of their surveillance sats caught his escape and thought his man-sized "escape vehicle" may be a potential threat. In short, Coulson wasn't there because of a celebrity kidnapping (that's not SHIELD's mandate) he was there to gather intellegence on a terrorist organisation.

Secondly, it's clear Romanov was sent in when it became clear Stark was going to be uncooperative with any kind of government agent or authority figure. They needed someone who could stay close to him an monitor his condition; something he was even hiding from his own inner circle.

As both Fury and Coulson made clear in IM2, they had more important things to do than babysit a billionaire having a mid-life crisis. They had an 0-8-4 sitting in a crater in New Mexico and rampaging Hulk in New York. Hell, it was probably only out of deference to Howard (and the potential to gain some headway on the tesseract project) that they got involved at all.

Indeed, right after Coulson is killed in Avenger's, Fury refers to him as his "one good eye". Add to that the lengths gone to to bring Coulson back and set him up with his little independent team...the level of trust there is explicit. The only thing he didn't trust was that the procedure was 100% stable, hence tapping May as a safety net.

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

This show gets my vote for most improved. I stuck it out as there is not much high budget action sci-fi on TV, but now after the last few episodes I am genuinely enjoying it.

Thank goodness Ward turned out to be a traitor, he was soooo boring as a good guy.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm seeing a lot of mentions of Simmons potentially being a traitor...I'm curious why people are thinking that. People were ready to have me put under psychiatric observation when I brought up the possibility a couple weeks ago....

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I could see Fitz turning before Simmons.

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Um, whut? :wtf:

Post proof or shut the fuck up.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't quite think Ward is unmotivated and I think we'll get a little more information soon. He was basically a psychologically abused child who was rescued by Garrett and believes that he owes everything to him as a result. The abuse he received is a big part of why he has no qualms killing people. For a long time, he channeled that towards helping SHIELD, but he was always doing it to help Garrett.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I don't know if Simmons is HYDRA, but I do feel there's merit in her turning evil sometime down the road. The way I see it, there's no real reason why the team need 3 geniuses. Skye probably has a different destiny than team techie, which leaves two geniuses. The way Fitz and Simmons have been described as "twins" just feels to me like setup for one of them turning evil on the other.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

one is hacking, one is science, one is robotics :lol:

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It wasn't a simple kidnapping, Stark had a front seat to the Ten Rings organization and escaped leaving the base he was held him in ruin. That's not low priority. Not to mention when Coulson called in Pepper's claim that Obadiah was building a suit of his own, Fury sent him more men instead of taking him off the case. That sounds more like Fury trust Coulson to take care of it. I also don't see how sending more men in Iron Man 2 to handle a billionaire living on the edge with an Iron Man suit indicates mistrust towards Coulson. Remember, Fury sent Coulson after Tony fought a Colonel. Reverend covers why Natasha's skills set was needed.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

And Gregg was freakin BRILLIANT in Much Ado...

20. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More likely, CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service).