Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually she's had a lot of lengthy monologues in the past 2-3 episodes. I think the whole "rarely speaks" thing has fallen by the wayside. She was closed off to begin with, but being on the team has drawn her out more.

I did see that special, and I don't agree. They "spoiled" the Winter Soldier's true identity -- something that the whole comics audience already knew -- but even after watching the special, I was still entirely surprised by the HYDRA reveal in the film, and by the revelations of who was working for HYDRA. If anything, they used the Winter Soldier-identity spoiler to distract us from the bigger spoilers, and it worked.

No --
    Pierce was the only HYDRA member on the Council, and he wasn't there in The Avengers.

It's not hard to understand why the Council was skeptical of the Avengers Initiative. I mean, look at the roster. A dissolute, borderline-unstable bad-boy billionaire. A fugitive doctor who occasionally turns into an unstoppable rage monster. A powerful alien who may or may not ever be able to return to Earth at all and whose true loyalties are unclear. A couple of spies who can fight well but have no powers and questionable ethics. And a WWII hero who was only defrosted months before. The idea of trusting the security of the world to a ragtag band of weirdos and loose cannons like that sounds completely insane on paper. It was an enormous gamble on Fury's part, and it's perfectly understandable why the Council would've preferred to rely on more conventional defenses like armies and missiles.

And no, they did not launch that nuclear weapon with the goal of killing the Avengers. They did it with the goal of saving the rest of the planet by sacrificing one city. They didn't want to kill the people who were already there in New York, but they believed it was the only way to close the portal and save the world, and they were convinced that if they didn't do it, everyone in New York would've been doomed anyway, along with the rest of the human race. And they had every reason to hold that conviction. It may be dramatic and exciting to write a story where a desperately outmatched band of heroes pulls an insane hail-Mary play at the last second and saves everyone, but nobody who's actually responsible for the safety of the world would be willing to rely on such a strategy, not with seven billion people at stake.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

IIRC They revealed HYDRA indirectly when saying they worked on him half way through CA:TFA and then found him after he was the only Howling Commando lost.

3. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

There IS NO actual "Clairvoyant". I don't know if some of you were not paying attention. It was whoever is in control of Hydra/Shield who had access to high level records that attempted to make it look like it was someone with a gift.

4. Christopher

Well, yes, it was made clear last week that there was no actual clairvoyant power involved. We're talking about "the Clairvoyant" as the assumed title for a specific individual and discussing who that individual was, without assuming that the title was factually accurate. I mean, we can talk about Black Widow without implying belief that she is actually a spider of the genus Latrodectus.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, we all got that. Still, the label is "The Clairvoyant" when referring to that person.

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm a bit amused how some people here are coming up with theories to excuse Ward's behaviour and find ways to make a return to the team possible (some kind of outside influence is the most favorite option).

If the writing/producing team has any courage they will have him stay the villain.. some people are really not who they seem to be and it would be a big cop out now if it turns out he was mind-controlled somehow or the team lets him back with a mere slap on the wrist.

He has killed loyal Shield agents.. there is no turning it either way to make this forgivable. The only way Ward has to get some respect and redemption is to die doing a last good thing like saving the team from certain death.

For me i can't think of a possible reason how they could take Ward back and accept him as one of their own and if that ever happens it either has to be one heck of a brilliant script or the show jumps the shark.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^He gets reduced to level 4?

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Level Minus-Six.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Personally, I hope Ward stays the bad guy too.

Just speculating, I don't think Ward is innocent but from the sound of things, Natasha has done far worse in her day, yet she was forgiven and wasn't a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent at the time. Maybe S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't care so long as the killing machine is on their side and their heart's in the right place.

10. Christopher

Looking over the responses at various sites, I've noticed a progression similar to the "stages of grief" model. First denial -- "He can't really be a HYDRA agent, it's just an act, and he just pretended to kill Hand!" Then bargaining -- "Okay, he's working for Garrett, but maybe he's just an opportunist or he's been brainwashed or something." And now I'm seeing more acceptance -- "Okay, Ward's a traitor, now what does that mean for the future?" Not a lot of anger or depression, though, since I don't think that many people had a strong emotional investment in the character.

But Natasha not being a SHIELD agent is the key difference. She didn't betray any oaths to them when she did those bad things, and she wasn't part of an enemy actively undermining them from the inside. Generally people see traitors within their own ranks as being even worse than outright enemies. So SHIELD might be a lot less forgiving of Ward than they were of Natasha.

Although, of course,
    SHIELD doesn't exist anymore, so that's kind of a moot question.

11. DEWLine

One of the premises of Winter Soldier could be that this was SHIELD's worst recruitment issue.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Ward recruited at the very beginning of the series (along with Skye)?

13. DEWLine

For Coulson's field team, yes.

Ward had been working for SHIELD for some years prior to that point.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see Garrett as the Clairvoyant if only for real world details that Paxton only signed for 4 episodes right? Wasn't this latest episode his third and the show has 5 more episodes to go.

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I think because if it is true that Ward is actually really a bad guy, it would truly be groundbreaking for network T.V. Ward is the hunky male lead who you know will get with the "cute" female lead eventually. I don't know if turning this guy bad has ever been done before on network broadcast T.V. This would be like Will Ryker turning out to be a Romulan agent, or Chacotay turning out to be working with the Borg or (those people with the crazy hair).

As hard core as nuBSG was, they chose to keep Lee Adama human and loyal to his Dad. If this turns out to be what it appears to be, AoS may have done in it's first season what most, if not all network broadcast dramas, have not had the guts to do.

16. Christopher

Yes, long enough to reach Level 6 clearance.

Again, though, "the Clairvoyant" was a red herring. The actual Big Bad all along has been HYDRA, and the threats of "Centipede" and "the Clairvoyant" were distractions to keep us (and the Bus team) from realizing what was really going on.

And the nature of HYDRA is right there in its name: The monster with many heads, with two growing back for every one you cut off. So even if Garrett is defeated, HYDRA will still be there.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Buffy kind of did it with Angel.
    Though Angel was redeemed by having his sould reinstated. At least by the show's rules.
    He had 2 distinctive personalities.
    Curiously that wasn't true of Spike.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Well, they could just give him new memories. ;)

True, Ward has a very slim chance to redeem himself without dying.

AoS has a few episodes left so we'll see.

TNG did it with Ro.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am definitely glad I waited to watch "Turn, Turn, Turn" after I saw TWS yesterday morning. I think this was the best episode of the series yet, and I can't wait to see where it goes.
    I did not see the Ward or Garrett reveals coming. At I'm honestly not sure what to make of Ward. Based on what we've seen so far, I don't really have a problem with Garrett being "The Clairvoyant.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fury was a level Ten Shield Agent.

If he made it to level 11, they would have told him that Shield works for Hydra.

Ward is still a level 11 Agent.