Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^"Idiots?" Operation Insight's targets included such people as Bruce Banner and Stephen Strange (according to a certain sleeper agent) and Tony Stark and the President of the United States (according to the targeting graphics). Aspiring tyrants don't want to kill off idiots, they want to kill off the people smart enough to see through their lies.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hydra compared the relative worth of everyone alive based on their given personal information and test scores etc finding those who weren't worth bringing into their new world order.

Some of those targetted were threats, the Avengers, those who might side with them etc

But they targetted nearly a million people in NYC alone, if Insight had done the same for every population center we're talking tens of millions at least. Those can't all be Bruce Banners or Tony Starks of the world, they wanted to clear out the "weaker/lesser" parts of society.

Eugenics at sniper point. Really really friggin big sniper emplacements but still.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

They wanted to kill those who would be a threat to world order. It had nothing to do with them being weaker or inferior. In some ways, they could be superior (they likely would be, in fact). The end result was to preserve docile people who would willingly give up all their freedom out of fear.

ETA: I'm putting it in spoiler tags. As fruitless as it is, this is a major plotpoint of The Winter Soldier that was only referred to abstractly last week.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I would say their actions count. Wikipedia interprets genocide as:
    And in regards to ethnicity:

5. Alidar Jarok

But there isn't really a shared ideology and certainly not to the extent that would count for that. The only ideology is "doesn't want to be ruled by HYDRA." A good rule of thumb when it comes to the definition of genocide is that it was a compromise to make sure Josef Stalin would adopt it. That's why economic class isn't included. Likewise, opposition to Communism certainly wouldn't have been approved of. Considering we're talking about an "ethnic group," it should be something considered an ethnic group even under the broadest terms.

That being said, even under that definition, it wouldn't be an ethnic group because they aren't targeting a "social group" at all, so the definition fails at the first stage.

Well, that's extreme. If it was revealed in Turn, Turn, Turn, its not a spoiler even if it was an event in The Winter Soldier. Fury's death, Sitwell's allegiance, and the cancer inside SHIELD are all fair game, for example.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. The guns were tracking genetic markers. They killed the family of every one that scored a failing grade.

2. The number of targets recited several times was "20 million".

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't think "a threat to Hydra" qualifies as an ideology.

8. Alidar Jarok

No they weren't, not entirely.

They weren't tracking genetic markers in the abstract sense, they were tracking DNA profiles of specific people. It would be like tracking the identifying genetic markers of Osama bin Laden. Genetic markers, sure, but not genocide. Likewise, it would target the identifying information of Tony Stark. They didn't come close to targeting individuals based on ethnic group.

9. Christopher

Basically it was a mass assassination (try saying that five times fast).

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Its such a pity about the ratings because this show has been improving for some time now. The DVR audience is close to 50% I believe so hopefully ABC will see that and consider a revamp of their lineup next season if they keep the show.

11. Guy Gardener

If Hydra had won, no bastard would know about Hydra as anything but memorabilia from the second world war.

It's still America in name.

Hell it's still America in fact.

The change in America from before 911 to after 911.

"That"

They want to do that again.

But bigger.

The ruling class of Hydra already governed 616 and probably still leads 616 from behind the curtain.

They just wanted to streamline and maximize their ruling experience.

If you really get down to it, if they can make the world %10 percent easier to rule, then they they can each take a %10 longer holiday.

And that's about it.

It wasn't a question of ruling the Earth, it was the sad fact that they wanted to rule a better Earth.

Create a safer Earth that will survive, fuck it, thrive without their constant meddling by adhering to their political leanings.

It's like how your mommy used to force you to eat your Brussels sprouts no matter how hard you pouted and held your breath.

It's just a question of pride.

12. Guy Gardener

Wasn't arguing progenocide, just antifamily.

Consider, if siblings and children and parents are close enough to be autotargetted and fired on, then if the program had selected 20 million specific targets, the guns would have hit twice, three, four times that number which they gave us in the movie... The only thing from stopping them killing a billion people is that I doubt that there were a billion bullets on those hellicarriers or a billion people in New York State.

They showed us a target playing base ball with his kid, unless they showed us a target playing baseball with his dad, but they were less than ten feet away from each other with familial DNA. Any way you look at it, they were both getting large holes in them.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I wasn't saying they were targeting a social group, I was commenting more on the second part of that definition with "ethnic group" being associated with a shared ideology, those who won't succumb to fear.

That's why I deleted it seconds after posting it, thinking that's a bit extreme but AoS didn't have Hyrda performing genocide (just a carrier crashing and burning on a screen in the back) so we shouldn't be talking about it like we are (which I started by saying genocide). If you want to continue this conversation, jump over to the Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread.

I imagine it has something to do with those who haven't seen CA:TWS yet and don't have DVR's.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I believe those were the bases that were still under Hydra control, so that map could potentially play into matters as the remaining SHIELD loyalists try to fight back.

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^The DOG HYDRA leaves its mark again.

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Christopher

How long before we see a KEEP CALM AND HAIL HYDRA one?

(Checks Google) Oh. Of course.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm posting this anyway :p

[​IMG]

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is the sort of thing I was responding to over on Facebook.