Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The way they do things now is this: First are TV commercials, then movie trailers, then the movie. I think I remember an ad for Agents of SHIELD in one of the commercials shortly before the trailers started (and before the M&Ms told me to turn off my cellphone). I think that's the best you can hope for. The movie studios aren't going to appreciate their trailer time being taken up for a TV show and to have it during the movie seems tacky to me. Those credits at the end are the same credits that air on home DVD and deserve to be devoted to the people who made the movie.

That being said, I wish it were the "after the events in Captain America The Winter Soldier, nothing will be the same" commercial that aired to make it clear how big the tie-in was.

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Speaking of crossovers.....

Attached Files:

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it ABC.com

Not sure Ward is Hydra. Not sure Hand is dead, part of the ruse(I hope).

Wards last glimpse to Coulson could be played two ways: Last look back at his old life or looking for a facial, non-verbal from Coulson.

Cause it's odd that Ward would leave the Bus when very shortly Coulson would tell May he needs every ally he can get. Ward would be an ally, an ally rooting out Hydra possibly with Hand in on it. The two guards are also likely OK, IF Ward is playing double agent.

If Hand really is dead it's a waste of a character with lots of great potential.

I wish that when Hand & Coulson had that moment about "maybe being the only ones they can trust" that a mention of "what about Hill?" isn't made. Since they know Fury is dead, and she is Fury loyal seems a one/two sentence mention could've been made. Especially in light the shows up 3 episodes from now.

The show is so paying off from the first half build up and foundation laying. I feel a second season is all but assured. It's doing better in that spot than what ABC had last year and is likely to be well poised to hit the ground running next year, especially leading into Avengers Age of Ultron. The show lays the groundwork for how Fury gets SHIELD back up and running with respect.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I was just going to say that it's already up on Hulu.

Normally, unless you pay for "Hulu Plus", you have to wait a week to watch new episodes, but the last two have been available the next day on regular, free Hulu.

5. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: I'm old too! :lol:

6. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You went to the wrong theater. I saw the movie at two different theaters here in town, and I got an ad for Agents Of Shield both times.

That's the first times I've seen the ads in a while. It was a reminder that I've been showing up for movies just in time for the start of the trailers lately. I only show up early for the really big and crowded ones.

7. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maria Hill is still around, and she knows about Coulson. Plus, she's going to work at Stark Industries, so she could break the news to the Avengers.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, this was pretty disappointing, but pretty much what I expected from what I've been reading.

Basically we had lots of running and shooting, fighting and shooting, aerial dogfights and shooting, explosions and shooting. We had arbitrary traitors with no hint of motivation and forced conflict between former friends. Twisty plot twists. Everything you thought you knew is a lie. And next week, everything you thought you knew this week will be a lie. And the week after next, everything you thought you knew next week will be a lie.

Hand definitely did make some bad decisions. Her little test of Triplett probably weeded out a lot of loyal agents who were wisely trying to bide their time. And Simmons never even answered. And suggesting that Garrett be executed-- by Ward-- was just plain weird. And arbitrary.

It wasn't all bad. Fitz had some great lines and gave a great performance. And I liked the little conversation about whether it was "cut off a head" or "cut off a limb."

Oh, well, maybe they'll make something out of this, but I miss SHIELD already.

Not old, seasoned. :D

9. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This, exactly.:techman: I still thought the episode was great, though. However, if Ward turns out to be a double agent and the murder of Hand and those 2 agents were faked, I'm not going to be happy. I'm already not happy with Garrett being the Clairvoyant, but that unhappiness was dampened by the greatness of the episode itself.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

She didn't? Very interesting....

That plays right into something that was rattling around in my head yesterday. After proposing on here that Triplett might still be a mole for Garrett, I realized that maybe the showmakers were pulling another Hand and making him seem suspicious. The only reason to do that would be to draw suspicion from another mole on the Bus...and about the only people left are Fitz and Simmons, since May's loyalty being tested is already a recent issue. And Fitz is the (too) obvious one of the pair. Could it be that Jemma's not a terrible liar, but actually a very good one...?

Hint in her personality: She's sometimes been depicted as being so enthralled in her research that she's insensitive to what's going on around her. Closet mad scientist who'd be happy performing unethical research for Hydra...?

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, she looked terrified, which is why she didn't answer. I suppose it's possible she knew Hand wasn't HYDRA, which is why she remained silent but, if that was the case, why not affirmatively pretend she's fighting HYDRA?

It's also worth pointing out that when she was with another known HYDRA agent earlier this season, she came off as a terrible liar and shot him, but her conversation was being monitored, so that isn't a clear example.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Simmons might not have said anything but she did toss Triplett a knife after Hand said she was Hydra. There's your answer.

A lot of people missed the head shot Ward gave those two agents. Unless S.H.I.E.L.D. Has blood packs that they can place under the skull of the forehead, those guys are dead.

[​IMG]

Edit: There's a blood scatter after the first shot I can't time right but the second shot puts a hole in his head and leave blood on the wall behind him.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  13. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Victoria Hand also jumps in fear when the 2nd guy is shot.

14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still not convinced that's actually Ward. He offered to leave with Hand pretty quick, possibly because he knew that he couldn't continue to fake it with Coulson's team for very long. Also, when he came back into the storage closet, he asked Skye if she was ready to hack the computer system and she replied by showing him explosives. The real Ward would have known that they were going to blow the system, not hack it. An imposter would have assumed Skye was going to hack it.

15. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's true. Another thing to consider is that Ward was losing that fight when they cut to Skye in the closet. Then we had some more fight sounds before it got quiet and Ward came back in. There was plenty of time for him to be replaced.

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

He was spotting a knife on the ground before the cut and smiled. I guess that implies he was getting the advantage back by grabbing that.

17. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I understand that the show is fully inviting this with the fake Hand reveal as the villain at the end of the previous episode and the big twist with Ward and Garrett as Hydra, but I still think people are WAY WAY WAY over thinking things with these theories that it wasn't really Ward or that nod from Coulson had meaning and it was a set up and and Hand isn't really dead, or that Simmons is a HYDRA. Ward shot 3 agents in cold blood. He's a bad guy. Maybe a bad guy with some conflicting loyalty that they will play off of in future episodes, but a bad guy nonetheless. At some point, we need to be able to take some things that happen on the show at face value or it just doesn't work anymore. Too many twists is a bad thing.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

On @Midnight last night, the gameshow host stopped midgame to say to one of the celebrity contestants "Hail Hydra" in a horse whisper.

laughed my ass off. :)

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think it's interesting the extent some people are going to in order to deny Ward might actually turn out to be an interesting character after all.

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I find it odd that before the last episode, I thought Ward was someone else but after the last episode, I wrote Ward off as a bad guy.