Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm well aware of that, but I don't see how it's relevant to my point about what was actually shown in the final product onscreen.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Either way, the only previous example where a TV show could spoil a movie or vice versa that I can think of is X-Files. TNG movies and DS9 referenced each other, but never gave away genuine plot points. Even the X-Files movie was between seasons, if I'm not mistaken.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'm changing my stance, you may have to watch CA:TWS before tomorrow's episode.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fF67J5qgnE[/yt]

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Alidar Jarok

I wonder if it's to give people an extra week to watch TWS before Turn, Turn, Turn.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5 had a couple movies set during the series and aired at disjoint points.

Setting Third Space during the embargo from Earth, a year after the embargo had finished was weird. Lets meet god, who wants to kill us, and then we'll never talk about it again.

The Battlestar Movies Razor, and The Plan, where more about movies retroactively sliced into continuity, but hardly seamlessly.

The Futurama movies where designed to be cut into pieces and aired as a season of television... But I suspect only if they were a success.

In one of the Kim Possible Movies (Seriously fantastic Disney Cartoon.), she makes out with her side kick, (Ducky gets Molly!) and then when they following season starts, they are dating... Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable. (That still makes me smile.).

Kenny died in the South Park Movie... Which took a few years for TPTB to renegue on that stitch in continuity.

:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

More likely an extra hour to get their taxes in the mail.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wondered when that was going to either be announced or otherwise blabbed.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

In the last episode, Hand says she's heading back to the Hub before she departs. Our team has been there but has its location been revealed? In this screen shot, after being redirected from DC, the screen behind Hand places it north east of DC.

[​IMG]

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Interesting.

Given the logistics of "Operation Overkill", I would have placed The Hub in western Europe.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I assumed the Hub was in Boston. :mallory:

As for movie and TV show continuity, don't forget Batman; after the movie, the bat-cycle, bat-copter, and bat-boat appeared on the show. :rommie:

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The "revised flight path" seems to be pointing to Europe.

If you're thinking that it's the location on the east coast of the U.S. with writing next to it, that's Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Maybe the Bus is being controlled from the Kennedy Compound.

14. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Please try to observe the requests to avoid spoilers in here. It's been well-established that the series and the movie are intertwined in their story.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Hub is an artificial island floating in the middle of the Atlantic.

16. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, I'm thinking Europe.
    Didn't Fury say there were HYDRA agents in Europe that he had to stop?

Although I think that flight path follows the curve of the Earth so any travel east would look somewhat like that.

I seem to recall display screens in The Hub. I don't suppose any of them have any clues.

ETA: I looked. The display screens of troop movements were extremely zoomed in or generic and could have been anywhere in Eastern Europe, the Middle East, or the Caucus region. More importantly, The Hub was not on the map. I'm hoping they reveal a location, but there isn't one there.

17. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Tonight's episode is up on Hulu, and yes, there are lot of spoilers for Winter Soldier in it.

EDIT: They seemed to have pulled it, it was up for more than an hour, so there are spoilers about it going around.

It was a nice episode.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Spoilery speculation after seeing TWS (but before seeing tonight's episode, so don't tell me anything about it):

How can they keep the title when SHIELD doesn't exist anymore? Maybe from now on, SHIELD in the show's title will stand for "So, Here Is Everyone Left, Dudes."

Anyway, the events of the movie may answer a lot of our questions about Coulson and the Bus, or rather, confirm some speculations I've heard before. Maybe Fury knew there was something rotten inside SHIELD and brought Coulson back because he was the only one Fury trusted. Maybe the Bus team was his ace in the hole, an independent unit free of whatever nastiness was going on inside the organization.

What I'm wondering, though, is how the show will incorporate these changes and revelations without it feeling like a random change imposed from outside and veering the show off course. That's one of the downsides to the close interconnections of Marvel Comics -- too often, a series' own story arcs will be arbitrarily altered or scuttled by developments going on in a different series. Since the show has been developed alongside CA:TWS all along, I'm hoping they can find a way to integrate these events smoothly into its story arc, have Coulson's team discover the HYDRA infiltration on their own and play some role in stopping them that at least feels significant, rather than just going about their business and suddenly hearing Steve's announcement over the PA. Events this important to the show shouldn't happen off-camera or without the show's leads playing some role. Of course it is driven by the movie, but for the show's sake, it should be made to feel like it's an organic part of the show.

I'm disappointed that the film didn't have at least a throwaway Easter-egg line referencing the show, or a cameo by Victoria Hand, say.

One other thing: Given that Black Widow apparently posted all of SHIELD's classified files onto the Internet, would that include the answers to Coulson's resurrection and/or Skye's origins?

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I wish I knew about it. With AoS at its best and CA:TWS being so great, Marvel's got me all pumped for it.

20. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

A few days ago I asked if the appearance of an Avenger(s) on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. would probably end up being an unnecessary deus ex machina. Most of you thought that it would be the case. What if, on the other hand, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had more guest appearances by people like Sharon Carter/Agent 13?