What was the first ST movie you ever saw in theaters?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by HarryCanyon1982, May 28, 2015.

1. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

The first one was TWOK in '82. I distinctly remember some inconsolable little girl just screaming when Spock died, this lasted all the way to the closing credits. I have a feeling that poor girl was traumatized for life. The only 2 movies I haven't seen in the theater are TMP and Nemesis. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've actually seen all of Nemesis. I turned it off partway through when I rented it on DVD, and I may have caught bits and pieces on TV, but I've never watched it from beginning to end.

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Partner, I fell asleep watching Nemesis in the theater!!
    my sons woke me up just before the end credits..proof positive, excessive, pointless action is BORING..

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ The battle scene does drag, but for "excessive, pointless action" NEM is nothing on Michael Bay, or the Matrix sequels, or some of the recent superhero movies.

I wonder how old she was? TWOK is not really a kids' film.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That sounds preferable to my experience...I stayed awake.

5. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Probably around the same age I was at the time, so she was probably 5-8 years old. To this day it is the single most heartbreaking thing I've experienced in a theater, this poor girl was just devastated. Personally I was more disturbed about the Ceti Eel, that scene haunted me until I saw the move again on VHS, then I realized it wasn't that bad.

As an anecdote, my brother and I were both sad that Spock died, but at the same time we couldn't wait for the next movie. On the car ride home we were making up stories and titles for the next movie. I said that in the next movie they have to go back and look for Spock in the forest. I had fantastic visions of the Enterprise crew riding bears and lions, charging through the forest fighting Khan and his crew. I was only 6 and under the impression that Khan had somehow made it to the new planet, plus we had gone to the Zoo a week before. I said that the movie should be called "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock"

My 8 year old mind was absolutely blown when the next movie was actually called that. To this day part of me still wishes that there had been bears and lions on the Genesis planet.....

6. foxmulder710

foxmulder710 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure it was Generations, interestingly enough. I'm young.

I cried when I thought I wouldn't be able to see First Contact because it was rated PG-13, lol. Luckily I was able to see it.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Lots of fans joked it would be called "In Search of... Spock", making light of Nimoy's TV documentary series, "In Search of...", so I think it was a well-anticipated title.

The synopsis written by Harve Bennett was called "Return to Genesis".
    http://orionpressfanzines.com/articles/star_trek_iii.htm

At one point, they also announced the film would be filmed in 3D, to cash in on the rush of third-film-in-a-series to go 3D.

8. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

I think I like that movie more - starring Richardo Montalban as Khan again - rejuvenated by Genesis. end fight would've been Kirk v Khan at last

9. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was my first. Then I saw every other one in the theater since, except for Insurrection.

10. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ST09. I went to see it twice to get my head around the alternate timeline.

11. Sir Anthony Eden

Sir Anthony Eden Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think it must have been The Search for Spock. I have a very fond memory of my local cinema in Sussex shoeing all four Star Trek films in one week during the school holidays, I thought that was fantastic, great experience when cinemas (in the ZuK) didn't do that very often, unlike in recent years when we might get a Thor double bill or a horror double when the latest in the franchise comes out.

12. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Star Trek V with my dad. We've seen all of them together since.

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TWoK on premier night.

Circumstances in my life at the time of TMP release made my attending it's theatrical release impossible. My first viewing of TMP occurred in '83 with the ABC premier of the Special Edition.

14. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

The whole family went and saw 'The Motion Picture' at the John Danz Cinema in downtown Bellevue. If not opening weekend, then sometime during the first week it was out; possibly on Christmas break. I was nine at the time. I remember being awed by the flyby shots of the Enterprise during Kirk's inspection tour.

15. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Nemesis on its first night, which was a good start for me. Went to see it again a week later. Wasn't better on second viewing.

16. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

17. One Lucky Red Shirt

One Lucky Red Shirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

VI. I was living in gloucester, va. at the time. so had to persuade my mom n stepdad to drive to newport news, a good hour n a half away, to see it opening night. i was supposed to meet my friend there but he had seen it at the earlier showing. i remember waiting in line to see it and happen to catch him and his family as they were leaving. they all were telling me how good it was and that i was gonna love it. which i did. good times and fond memories. at the time i was watching interviews of the cast on entertainment tonight and shows like that. remember when some of the cast kept saying it was written as the last one while others were like its not gonna be the last one. sadly it was. but a wonderful hurrah. wow time flies

18. Captain Zog

Captain Zog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Insurrection. I was 14 and went to see it in the cinema with my Dad. Didn't think much of it then and think even less of it now.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The Wrath of Khan with my Dad when I was eight. We didn't bond on a lot, even then, but we bonded on Star Trek.

20. Jeffe525

Jeffe525 Commander Red Shirt

IV when I was 11. My mom was a Trekkie and the reason I got into Trek at a very early age. Unfortunately she wasn't too big on going to the movies so I didn't get to see any earlier ones until they came out on cable. :klingon: